Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts

i was told the most quiet exhausts are the AMS or RMR TB's....i heard the sound clips and they are def not close to stock..they are dam loud. truthfully i dont want an exhaust that bad but i know how beneficial they are to these cars so its a must if your gunna mod. im thinking of just geting the cat-back w/o the dp or tp or w/e else is included. now im assuming it will be quieter.....but will i be sacraficing gains?......so much so that it wouldnt be worth it to get the cat back by itself? thnx

what do you think i should do for good gains but suuuper quiet....and o ye i would like it to look nice as well
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Works stealth muffler with Works resonated IP.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Get a Fujitsubo. Even with a stock cat you'll be about as loud as stock. I went through the same journey of trying to filter out exhausts to see which one was quietest... even the JDM exahusts with silencers (JIC, HKS) are still pretty damn loud.

The Fujitsubo has satisfied that search - in the future there is no doubt that I will buy another Fujitsubo exhaust.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I was concerned as well about the loudness of the exhaust out there. THen I bought a Turbo back with a cat delete. I LOVE IT!! It wakes up when you gun it, and sounds very cool. Talk about gaining hp! I dont think youll mind it as much as you think you do. WOT on an open exhaust is a very pleasing sound
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:18 PM

no i will. actually i dont have my evo yet. im just doing some smart planning ahead. i currently own a 04 tiburon v6 and i did plenny of work on it including a dual catback by MUSSA motorsports. great guys but there exhaust is sooo loud. it sounds good from outside but its pissing off my neighbors and the inside of my car vibrates like hell...i hate it. my days of any kind of loud exhausts are over....besides, when i get the evolution, id rather have a loud *** spool with lotsa boost than my exhaust yelling.

Last edited by Junkboxer; Oct 11, 2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkboxer
no i will. actually i dont have my evo yet. im just doing some smart planning ahead. i currently own a 04 tiburon v6 and i did plenny of work on it including a dual catback by MUSSA motorsports. great guys but there exhaust is sooo loud. it sounds good from outside but its pissing off my neighbors and the inside of my car vibrates like hell...i hate it. my days of any kind of loud exhausts are over....besides, when i get the evolution, id rather have a loud *** spool with lotsa boost than my exhaust yelling.
Then you will just be sacrificing power...no way around it.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Junkboxer
i was told the most quiet exhausts are the AMS or RMR TB's....i heard the sound clips and they are def not close to stock..they are dam loud. truthfully i dont want an exhaust that bad but i know how beneficial they are to these cars so its a must if your gunna mod. im thinking of just geting the cat-back w/o the dp or tp or w/e else is included. now im assuming it will be quieter.....but will i be sacraficing gains?......so much so that it wouldnt be worth it to get the cat back by itself? thnx

what do you think i should do for good gains but suuuper quiet....and o ye i would like it to look nice as well
It's really not beneficial to just get a cat-back exhaust. Most companies claim gains like 20hp from their cat-back systems, but in reality, you may only see 10hp. Company claims are almost always inflated. The basic of thumb is to figure on picking up about HALF of what a company claims, at least that's how it works in the world of domestics.

On the Evo and STi alike, the greatest gains are going to come from a full turbo-back exhaust. If you're going to do it, you might as well go the distance.

I hear that Turbo XS makes very nice products. I know a lot of guys with Subarus swear by Turbo XS, and from what I've heard, their parts are top-notch. I believe they also offer parts for Evos, so you most definitely want to check them out. I've heard that their exhausts aren't obnoxiously loud.

I share your feelings of loud exhausts as well. I'd like a nice gain, but to keep it on the quiet side. At 31 years old, I'm not down with the "boy racer" sound eminating from an import with a huge wing and hood scoop. I also own a Camaro, but I feel differently about that. The louder, the better.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

how are you gonna get all that spool with a clogged up exhaust?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

just get buschur with the hfc and magnaflow exhaust, even my mom said it wasnt that loud
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:39 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

You might want to do a search on this, as there have been several threads discussing this very topic.

I went through the same search -- looking for the quietest exhaust that still performs much better than stock. The Fujitsubo is nice, but unfortunately, it necks down inside the resonators to about 2" from what I understand after talking with several dealers. The rest of the Fujitsubo TBE is 3".

The exhaust I ended up with is the AVO TBE. It's not cheap, but is very well made and very quiet compared to others. 94db vs the 85db you get with the stocker system. It has two resonators, but the system doesn't neck down anywhere throughout the entire TBE.

Another that may be worth considering is the APS system. I haven't done much research into it, but it seems to be of similar workmanship and I've heard it's also relatively quiet.

Good luck with your search, and with your future Evo!

EDIT: In this post, I accidentally said that the AVO system has two resonators; it has only one. I was confusing it with the Fujitsubo exhaust, which DOES have two...that both neck down below the 3" pipes used everywhere else.

Last edited by Pd1; Oct 12, 2005 at 06:51 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

94db is no laughing matter. That is VERY loud by any means. My silenced JIC was 87dB or so, and that was starting to get a bit droney too. Everybody's taste for 'loudness' is subjective.. your best bet is to meet up with someone who has an exhaust to your liking.

For what it's worth, my exhaust compared with some other guys with similar mods - I was maybe 10hp short. To me, that loss is acceptable for the trade offs. I get a quiet in cabin ride, and less attention from the popo.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

this has been covered. repost. Fuji or Buschur Magnaflow and there's other. There's been a thread on this about the most quiet exhaust or sumthin like that
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

all these people wanting quite exhausts could they just use a external wastegate? leave the stock system and use a external waste with a dump tube? It should make more power at WOT right?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

an external dump will be LOUD AS HELL!!! one way around it would be a dump tube electronic or otherwise.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HiRevnVIII
an external dump will be LOUD AS HELL!!! one way around it would be a dump tube electronic or otherwise.
yeah but it will be quite 90% of the time... I would like know if anyone ever tested this with a stock exhaust. It should work like your running a 3" turbo back when at WOT.

Quick Reply: ok im pissed with all these loud exhausts