Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

pulled over for exhaust in IL today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a decible law in many states...not sure if all.

Friend in Fairfax VA was pulled in his Evo 6 TME for exhaust
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Was it a trooper? Illinois State Troopers are egotistical, non educated babbons. They give tickets for profit only they have no interest in helping society just collecting money so their fat *** can continue to sit around and do nothing.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I've only lived in Mundelein for a few months, but can't count the number of times I've been given the "evil eye" by the local cops...especially when they are parked in my neighborhood. Fortunately, I don't have tinted windows and just recently swapped out my RSR GTII for the much quieter RSR Ex-Mag.

Sorry to hear about your run-in. I wasn't even aware of this "law".
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen this happen before and as we all know the "Cops" temd to protect and serve when it comes to the most obvious thing they can get their hands on. Call the precinct of the issuing officer and see if they can give you a quote on the paragraph in the instruction that mandates this law. Some states denote that any exhaust decible louder than 98dB's is classified as being illegal but then again they would have to run a meter on the decible level of your car. I even think there is a stipulation onto when your car is 98dB's... something like, "at idle" or "when ou begin to take off in 1st gear" but there is a special modfied version of the level of dB's for motorcycles so make sure you get the right one. Or at worst talk to a law on a free consultation nd see if they can point you in the right direction. DAMN there is nothing i hate more than a bored Cop!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

I've had that happen to me before it was at 12:30 at night though and I had just pulled into my driveway. Then I see a big spotlight as im walking into my house. the cop asks me for my licence and registration and tried to give me a ticket. when I asked him about the exhaust and tint law he said any tint in MA is illegal which is bull and he said any exhaust other than factory illegal which again is bull. fight it you'll win you don't need any lawyer either. same thing with the tint unless he measured it with the laser detector.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

A similar law is on the books here in Virginia. A new law has been proposed which establishes a maximum allowable decible reading. I think cops like the old law being on the books since it allows them to target certain vehicles and populations that tend to drive them.

Last edited by propellerhead; Oct 12, 2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05evo
I've had that happen to me before it was at 12:30 at night though and I had just pulled into my driveway. Then I see a big spotlight as im walking into my house. the cop asks me for my licence and registration and tried to give me a ticket. when I asked him about the exhaust and tint law he said any tint in MA is illegal which is bull and he said any exhaust other than factory illegal which again is bull. fight it you'll win you don't need any lawyer either. same thing with the tint unless he measured it with the laser detector.
You would think a police officer would be driving around a neighborhood, doing paperwork, etc. and actually being productive late at night, but I honestly can't believe he gave you a ticket when you were parked on your driveway.

Most cops tend to stereotype the "import crowd" into one category with certain behaviors, like speeding, young, driving wrecklessly, etc.

My brother who is a bit older than me drives at least 5-10 mph faster than me on the highway and has not been pulled over once in the last 2 years. I honestly believe its because of the car he drives and not really the speed.

Sometimes going to court is not worth the time and money because court fees could total up to be more than your ticket.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Yikes!!! Reading all this stuff about the cops makes me realize im a big bait for them. I have a full TBE, no license plate in the front, and i have not put on my registration sticker on the windsheild yet. Ive been riding like this since i bought my evo 3 months ago. I guess im pushin my luck.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

I do agree, I think this guy was bored. I wasn't being a dick or to this guy. I dont know, i really do sometimes think they have nothing better to do!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

i got pulled over for going through a stop sign, then the cop tried giving me sh*t for my exhaust, but oh wait its stock! thats right i got into an argument with a cop over my stock exhaust. we went back and forth, something i never do when i get pulled over, but in the end he just gave me a warning, and told me not to lie. i think its obvious why i havent bought an exhaust yet!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Go pull the law. You fill find that it says "...for the purpose of increasing the loudness of the exhaust...". You decide where to go from with that.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

This law is insane! How many trucks, bikes, vintage cars, etc...are running illegal right now. This law is ludicrous. I am beside myself the more i read about it.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

fight it in court...my buddy got pulled over because he had an after market exhaust on his car and he went to court and the judge dismissed it
Old Oct 12, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

of course cops have nothing better to do you ever notice a cop on the side of the road in his air conditioned\heated cruiser watching state workers dig a hole...hes getting paid 70 dollars an hour for that. I rest my case. they're out to ruin peoples days. like I said I got pulled over for my HKS Hi-Power. that is NOT loud infact close to stock.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

something i started when i had my integra was carry a portable recorder. nothing fancy, just a cheap digital recorder........i used to get pulled over a lot due to, well im asian, have a lowered car, stock looking exhaust, not even loud, drive very defensivly, i guess you can say typical. anyway i got all kinds of excuses:

car to low (is not, headlight 23.5" measured from the ground)
car to loud (89db @3000rpm tested)
tint to dark......(factory tint, barely even tinted, idiots)
said intake was illegal (comptech air box w/ stock intake pipe)
header was illegal (Greddy)
incorrect engine (just polished the valve cover)
blah blah blah......

each incident was funny, i simply took my recorder and let the judge hear it and have dismissed over 8 citations.

im thinking about mounting a small camera for even better evidence.

Quick Reply: pulled over for exhaust in IL today