Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

pulled over for exhaust in IL today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pulled over for exhaust in IL today

I am furious! I got pulled over for tinted windows, yes my fault and i know it so i have no beef (ha ha beef!) with the cop over that, but then he says, your exhuast is illlegal, I said no its not, how can that be. BTW, I wasn't drving like a jackass, i dont think i was ever over 20% throttle and over 3k rpm's, i know because my UTEC didn't kick in, so my exhaust was not loud by any means. He proceeds to tell me IL has a law that makes ANY aftermarket exhaust that is louder than the OE exhaust illegal. I said you must pull over every Motorcycle you see then and he said, not really. (at least 50% of sportbikes have pipes on them) Now im pissed! So he gives me a ticket for tint, not big deal and a ticket for exhuast. I tell him i think he's profiling becuase of the way my car looks, its an import with a big wing and exhaust. He says no, i drive an import. meanwhile a big red neck truck with straight pipes drives by and i say, looks like you've got another one on your hands. He does nothing, hands me my tickets and walks away. Anyone else have problems with this IL. I'm just curious, ive never heard of this before. It virtually makes ALL aftermarket exhaust sales in IL illegal.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

thats a bunch of bull****.

fight it.

get a lawyer.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

fight it
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

The fact is that aftermarket louder exhausts are illegal,sucks but it is true. Is it a fix-it type ticket?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:46 AM

Did he actually measure the decibles or just play it by ear?

Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:49 AM
Former Vendor

Yeah, fight it for sure. I doubt there is a law like that. But you can definitely beat that in court if you fight it, thats crap!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

wow thats lame, but never talk back to a cop, its all in your attitude when they first approach your car
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

no he just looked at it.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Same thing happen to me here in Florida, IE Kissimmee and took it to court had the judge and tree cop's in the parking lot looking to my Exhaust Won the case. told the judge the same thing about Motorcycles and he agreed with me (I know becouse i ride a bike also and that is the first thing every one changes.) take it to Court buddy fight it all the way but you will have to eat the tint Citation.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plead not guilty, talk to the judge...it'll get reduced or dropped...What is it with people on this website and suggesting lawyers...You dont need a lawyer for a exhaust ticket...It's a fix it ticket most likely, but you wont want to fix it. Go to court, tell the judge about the exhaust, he or she wont really care, but will almost definitly drop it or at least dump one of your tickets just to get you out of the courtroom without wasting his time.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I understand said law exists in IL ... dig deeper though. Good luck!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

if that's the true exhaust law, then that's sad and very hard to enforce...around here redneck trucks are 10x louder than even a TBE. They don't have freaking rear bumpers, and you can see the black smoke coming out of their pipes....now that's more of a hazard.

Chances are, the law has a decibel requirement...and as long as you're running a cat-back you'll probably be fine..of course depends on which one you're running. Some cat-backs like the Apexi is only noise legal with the silencer in...
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:08 AM

I live in Lake Zurich and drive through Mundelien quite often and I have never had a problem. I have the AMS catback on my evo. Now im nervious to drive through that town!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:13 AM

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=61938
Old Oct 12, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a woodridge cop pull me over for exhaust once. I also had a couple guns in the car, he said since I was honest about the guns and gave him no surprises he let me off on a warning. Go to court and fight it. If cops pulled over every loud car/bike/truck they would have no time for anything else. Also when he asked why I need the exhaust I told him it was strictly performance and not just to be loud and annoying, don't know if that helped or not

Quick Reply: pulled over for exhaust in IL today