Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Flash reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anybody with a flash has run 10's yet (11's yes), on 05's the flash is dectectable by dealer if the look for it.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You have to ask?

1) i was considering getting the safc but it seems like the flash is a lil bit more hassle free plus they guarantee you at least 20whp

This only tells a tiny part of the story and is misleading. A flash is less of a hassle only in that you do nothing yourself, but is more of a hassle in that you have to keep getting reflashed when you add mods, and you have no control over your tuning when in different racing scenarios where you'd want to add race gas, change the boost, run a very safe tune or run a more aggressive tune. It's quite a hassle to either 1) have to wait until you get all your mods, then get flashed once, or 2) get mods slowly over time while having to get reflashed each time. I'm a supporter of flashes in general, and yours specifically, but just blatantly saying it is hassle-free is not accurate. Also, saying "plus they guarantee you at least 20whp" is misleading, too, because it makes it sound like the S-AFC and any other tuning device WON'T give 20whp, when they all will due to the extreme richness of the factory tune.

2) ...plus there is a dude running like 10s with mods but ecu wise all he has is a flash...no piggy back or standalone...thats raw...

Again, just half the story. When a guy is running such a huge setup that is trapping 130mph, hitting 10s is not really a matter of what tuning device is being used. Yes, it's TYPICALLY better to have piggyback or standalone for such a big setup (BR580), but we all know that a custom flash can make plenty of power, but we also know that this is the ONLY one in the 10s so far, so it's not really a selling point for flashes being superior to other tuning devices at that level of modding. It just shows that a flashed car CAN hit 10s without having to do any self-tuning.

We also don't have proof of this 10, but hopefully the controversial individual can back up the claim this week. I think it's far more interesting to the masses if I hit 11s on the stock turbo and stock cams this week with my flash, since the vast majority of people have my mods as opposed to that other guy's mods.

3) plus warranty wise its undetectable i believe.

They are detectable at least on 05s and beyond...

4)...the only thing i would be worried about is overreving since the flash takes out the rev limit...my friend had hondata on his eg and he overrevved and **** his brand new motor up...i personally would maybe like a raised rev but would still want a limiter in there

I'm surprised you didn't jump all over this one. No rev limit? That's a complete fallacy.
Shuttin people down, one at a time. I like you
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

why is a flash only detectable on an 05? plus yes warrtalon is a monster i've seen his posts before he knows A LOT. this info helps though.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:05 PM

http://jestrtuning.com/
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doogie Howser
I don't think anybody with a flash has run 10's yet (11's yes), on 05's the flash is dectectable by dealer if the look for it.
I believe I saw a post under the motorsports section about the first evo 8 to run in the 10's with a dynoflash.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

hey warrtalon,

do you know if its "EASY" for the dealer to detect the flash? or is it somewhat difficult/hidden?
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

We have flashes available for the 03,04, and 05 EVO. The 06 EVO nine flash is around the corner. We were the FIRST US tuner to flash the EVO and are the only EVO-centric tuner in the US.

We see around 20-30whp peak gains along with better drivability, throttle response, and even better gas mileage.

Updates on the flash are normally free if you decide to add some more parts to your EVO.

We also have been able to integrate the various factory software updates with our own flashes, available at no extra charge.

Some features of the WORKS P2 Flash:
20-30whp gains
20psi to redline controlled by the factory ECU
Launch control for all 03,04,05 EVOs (set however you like)
7800 Standard revlimit (can be set however you like)
Completey stock appearance (no hacking up your wiring harness)
100% reversible (unlike ECUtek and some others)
Support for new mods and factory updates at no charge

Here is the link with everything:
http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=50

I hope this helps you make a wise decision.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle
hey warrtalon,

do you know if its "EASY" for the dealer to detect the flash? or is it somewhat difficult/hidden?
No, I don't know.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 04:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
No, I don't know.
They would have to hook up the MUT-III tool to pull the check sum.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

so basically are we all suggesting to just go with the cheapest option since they are all the same thing?

because from the websites provided above, the price varies from freaking 75 dollars (jestr tuning) to 200 (Al and dynoflash) and 600 (works).
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by anjapower
yeah i get ready to do the same he beats me to it everytime!
Old Oct 12, 2005, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

they all tackle the ecu differently if you want to ask.. personally i prefer works flash
i'll leave to the different vendor to explain how different they are
Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by anjapower

No doubt, seen it in a few threads now.....

Speaks Reality .....Warrtalon
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TylerO@WORKS
They would have to hook up the MUT-III tool to pull the check sum.
Ok, sounds easy then.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AllYouCanTiff
so basically are we all suggesting to just go with the cheapest option since they are all the same thing?

because from the websites provided above, the price varies from freaking 75 dollars (jestr tuning) to 200 (Al and dynoflash) and 600 (works).
Not necessarily. Different vendors have different features, and that's the reason for the price sometimes. If you can get the same features for a lower price, then go for it. You can't go wrong with Jestr, Dynoflash, or Works...it just depends on which one suits your needs.

Quick Reply: Flash reccomendations