Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Greddy Gauges Saved my MR!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Greddy Gauges Saved my MR!!!!!!

Driving yesterday, my turbo line split, causing smoke to come from the hood. Luckily, I had my Greddy gauges to keep tabs on my engine. Knowing something was wrong, I was only two miles from home and was trying to milk it back. Watching all 5 of my gauges, I noticed my water temp moving.....very quickly. Then it came down when the thermastat opened............but then lots of smoke started coming from the hood. Almost home I thought I was going to make it, but then the temp soared and my pre set warning lights at 115 degrees celsius started flashing bright red. Obviously, I shut the motor down immediately then turned the key back to accessory setting so I would still have brakes and steering as I turned off the road into an addition.

Popping the hood, green radiator fluid, white stain gunk, and bad smell were everywhere. The small turbo return line had split. Stranded, called Mitsu and they sent a flat bed truck free of charge as part of the roadside assistance program!!!!

I had been to the dealer two months earlier asking about a recall I had heard about. They said my car was not affected. Appears they were wrong! Does anyone have this recall statement?

Sure am glad I had the Greddy Gauges so I could watch every part of my cars operation. This really saved me as the car was running fine. Some might have kept driving it being so close to home and everything running okay. If I had done that, big problems would of resulted.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lucky you ..... I got the recall notice to but never got it fixed cuz I have no time.....
i wonder if mitsu will give me the replacement part so I can do it myself?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went in for the recall the other day and my dealership told me mine wasn't affected either but they went ahead and switched it out for me anyhow.

best of luck man
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:18 AM

Now let's hope they don't do something stupid like void your warranty for having gauges!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

thats nuts good thing you had the gauges. by the way i went to the dealer for the recall, and im pretty sure mine wasnt involved but they still replaced the part anyway
Old Oct 13, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

just curious.. how accurate was your water temp in the gauge cluster? If you had a chance to notice.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm, I called the nearest Mitsu dealership here when I heard about the recall, they ran my vin through and said it wasn't needed... Guess I'll push them to get it changed next time I go in for service...
Old Oct 13, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

cool thing you had the guages, but smoke from the hood would've stopped me ASAP.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Lucky you ..... I got the recall notice to but never got it fixed cuz I have no time.....
i wonder if mitsu will give me the replacement part so I can do it myself?
Maybe but probably not. They want to make sure it's done "right" when most of us could do a better job than the techs at mitsu.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jamdown
cool thing you had the guages, but smoke from the hood would've stopped me ASAP.

1+
Old Oct 13, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

What is a turbo line??? I'm assuming it was the water line

So what your saying is that if it was Defi Gauges your car would have been fooked???
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

yes, lets hope your the only case, they said my car wont be effected, but who the hell knows about Mitsu these days
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Mitsu SOB's!!!!!!!!!! Warranty is the worst!!!!!

Dealer was a ***** from the start. Said it will cost $136 to fix the $3 hose. I had him check the recall, and he said mine was not included.

I went to the National Safety website and confirmed the recall. Then got connected directly with Mitsu Warranty Department. EVERY horror story about Mitsu warranty is TRUE!!!!!!! I heard it myself.

Not even interested in helping me or asking any questions, she said my car was not part of the recall. I mentioned all the other vehicles having problems with the exact same part and she still was a BITC_. I stopped being nice and then started talking about normal warranty coverage then......forget the recall. My car only has 4000 miles on it. She talked about stuff that didn't even concern my car or my question.

I told her off for all of us who have been screwed. I said, "I have heard about the alarming warranty issues with Mitsu. Talking with you, I am surprised to say it's worse than I ever imagined. My next car purchase will certainly not inlude a Mitsu unless your ability to take care of your customers matches how good EVO's are."

I was still to nice, but what a shock to not even be treated nice. I am 32 and a successful businessman and this woman wouldn't even look into my claim or help at all.

More surprising was when she said, "Sir, even if we would cover it under warranty, it would have to go to a review board and not sure it would even be covered then." I was stunned. You are telling me a national recall part would still have to go under a review board........for a new car with 4000 miles??????

In any case, I couldn't win if there was a review board. My car was at the dealer with all 4 slicks on and all my upgrades to be seen. Ha!!!!!!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

man sorry to hear that bro, i had that return line leak for a lil bit then it stoped, but the dealership here in daytona just repalced it anyway under warranty, and i didnt receive any recall notice, they just did it. i guess i am lucky that most of the dealerships here in fl ( sarasota, daytona) are very helpfull. maybe should look into another dealer around our area. good luck.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I just bought a new 05 EVO in August. Does anyone have any idea where I can go to find out if mine is affected by this recall?

Thanks,

-Chris

Quick Reply: Greddy Gauges Saved my MR!!!!!!