Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 8 VS EVO 9 dyno charts from Buschur Racing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Dave-
Stupid question, but do you think after break-in these IX's are going to dyno higher? I didn't think there would be a significant increase over the VIII's personally given the minimal upgrades, but I thought I'd put it out there. . .

Thanks for the realistic numbers, the more performance savvy group here in EVOM appreciate it. . .number inflating is just ghey.

I'm happy I'm waiting for the X to trade in my only 10 week old 8!!
Just a heads up, the 05 EVO VIII used in the comparison is mine, and only had 1500 miles on it at the time.... so not that much break in done on EITHER car

Keith
Old Oct 13, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zectasy
whats the point of the all so great "mivec" if theres only like a 3hp difference? cheeeeeeeeeeesy
The main differences I see are faster onset of power (more low end) and a torque curve that is flat as a pancake in the mid range rather than peaking and tappering down.

Hey Dave, any possiblility of showing the boost vs RPM comparison between the two cars? I am wondering if that gain in low end power is due to the turbo spoolign up faster, or is it due to MIVEC operations?

Later,

Keith
Old Oct 13, 2005, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=davidbuschur]The base numbers are in light blue and red, those are the EVO8.

Why are my numbers so low? Well, this is a real dyno to be honest. It isn't just a set of rollers that spin around and put miles on your car The software I am sure uses different calibrations and gives different numbers. My MD dyno has also NOT been manipulated in anyway to spit out higher numbers, many MD owners change some parameters to make the power higher and match dynojets more closely. I left the dyno set up and calibrated exactly as it was delivered.

Some dyno's will spit out 600 whp figures and then the cars can't break 130 mph trap speeds. Something is wrong there, biggest factor in my opinion after owning a dynojet for many years is the tune is off, so what you are getting for a tune on an inertia dyno isn't the
same thing the car needs to run correctly on the track.

Our black EVO on our dyno has only made in the 525 range for whp. The car has however ran 10.12 at 141 mph. Our red EVO which is full weight minus the front bumper beam and we have swapped in a 15 gallon fuel cell, which we run full, has run a best of 10.94 at 135 mph, this was on the stock Advan tires. This red EVO has also put down only about 530 whp on our dyno.

For further perspective an EVO making only 300 whp on our dyno with a good driver will run in the 11.7 second range.

My personal RS has made only 330 whp on our dyno and run a best ET of 11.30 and best mph of 124 mph.

The numbers when baselining for improvements on parts are really not critical. Start with 200 or start with 300, when you gain you gain. Having numbers that are just rediculously high and a car that is slow is just..........embarrassing. This is the case with many.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com[/QUOTE]

Feel free to flame away (I'm also no expert) but the claimed HP and torque increase for the IX over the VIII is only around 10 hp and 10 lb/ft at the flywheel (guesstimating here, don't have the numbers right in front of me). Given that the driveline loss on a Mustang dyno for an AWD car is probably somewhere around 20-25% (?), then the dyno gains you might expect to see will be around 3/4 of the claimed figures........so +7 hp, +7 lb/ft torque. Wouldn't this be within the range of error for a dyno run ?

To me, the beauty of MIVEC is (supposedly) the expanded torque envelope? The IX is certainly showing more power and torque under the curve even though peak figures are similar.....surely this would translate into better real-world performance on the street?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by romogst
Buschur Racing Mustang Dyno shows the lowest DYNO #'s. If you would of Dyno the same cars over a DynoJet Dyno your numbers will be like 230-240's whp. I know several people at the DSM shootout this year ,they had dyno their evos on different dynos with higher whp results and whey they dyno at Buschur Racing they got lower numbers, anywhere from 50-100whp loss on the Buschur Racing Mustang Dyno. Your numbers will not be the same unless u dyno at the same dyno place.
You are missing the point. He dyno both cars on the same day with the same dyno. The end result is the same. There is no signicant power difference between the 8 and the 9.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I'm gonna post this again 'cos my original post looks kinda fubar'd....Here it is:

Feel free to flame away (I'm also no expert) but the claimed HP and torque increase for the IX over the VIII is only around 10 hp and 10 lb/ft at the flywheel (guesstimating here, don't have the numbers right in front of me). Given that the driveline loss on a Mustang dyno for an AWD car is probably somewhere around 20-25% (?), then the dyno gains you might expect to see will be around 3/4 of the claimed figures........so +7 hp, +7 lb/ft torque. Wouldn't this be within the range of error for a dyno run ?

To me, the beauty of MIVEC is (supposedly) the expanded torque envelope? The IX is certainly showing more power and torque under the curve even though peak figures are similar.....surely this would translate into better real-world performance on the street?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

im happy you spoke about the different stock hp numbers on dynos. I live in Atlanta and have had my car dyno'd at 3 different shops. I will not use names so no one gets pissy since they all hang out here, but if you have dyno'd your car in different places here you will know what I am talking about. 1 shop I put down 214 stock and with mods 267awhp, next I put down 271 awhp. These are very close so I would guess these are correct. 3rd shop I put down 304 awhp, now comon, that seems a little high for my mods. All I have is TBE with cat del, mbc, mail-n-flash.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by an0ther
im happy you spoke about the different stock hp numbers on dynos. I live in Atlanta and have had my car dyno'd at 3 different shops. I will not use names so no one gets pissy since they all hang out here, but if you have dyno'd your car in different places here you will know what I am talking about. 1 shop I put down 214 stock and with mods 267awhp, next I put down 271 awhp. These are very close so I would guess these are correct. 3rd shop I put down 304 awhp, now comon, that seems a little high for my mods. All I have is TBE with cat del, mbc, mail-n-flash.
Actually, a catless TBE/MBC/Flash usually gets Evos near 300awhp on a Dynojet and 270 on a Mustang. Likewise, 214 stock is very low for a Dynojet, but normal for a Mustang Dyno. I don't know if all 3 you've gone to were Dynojets or not...
Old Oct 13, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

i dont understand how these dynos' give out different numbers!! isnt there just one machine that tell's you how much Horsepower Your car has and thats it!
Old Oct 13, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverNine
i dont understand how these dynos' give out different numbers!! isnt there just one machine that tell's you how much Horsepower Your car has and thats it!
No, there are many different types of dynos and even like dynos can be calibrated differently. Plus, each dyno has different weather conditions (temp/humidity), which further exacerbates the problem.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

2003-2004 Evo 271 H.p 273 Torque
2005 Evo 276 H.p. 286 Torque (+5 H.p. +13 Torque)
2006 Evo 286 H.p. 289 Torque (+10 H.p. +3 Torque)

All Figures Quoted Are At The Flywheel Per Mmna.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

After seeing those numbers I'm glad I jumped on the VIII instead of waiting for the IX. There doesn't seem to be that drastic of a difference. Thanks for the graph
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MTMS4
That's basically what I was thinking. Why were people expecting some dramatic difference? They made some basic tweaks to squeeze a little bit more out of what is essentially an Evo VIII.5. All the real money and research and development was/is going into the X. The car only claims a few more horses, it only shows a few more horses on a dyno - any dyno. They are only asking $500 bucks more. I am not suprised at all.

Ego.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:36 PM

I Wonder what next years dyno chart will look like betwwen the 9 and the 10 EVO model
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not much difference at all
Old Oct 13, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
That's basically what I was thinking. Why were people expecting some dramatic difference? They made some basic tweaks to squeeze a little bit more out of what is essentially an Evo VIII.5. All the real money and research and development was/is going into the X. The car only claims a few more horses, it only shows a few more horses on a dyno - any dyno. They are only asking $500 bucks more. I am not suprised at all.

Ego.
This is a statement I agree with, in the evo lineup MAJOR changes would happen like once every 3 model releases, so the 9 is just preperation for the X... they have been doing some good things with the 9's in japan though, but it's mainly due to the turbine rather than the mivec... now the real question is, do you really expect to get the 9 at only $500 more from the dealership, haha, they still try to sell 8mr's over here for 40k... the bastards

Quick Reply: EVO 8 VS EVO 9 dyno charts from Buschur Racing