Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driving home and car stalls, won't start up again?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by smp3000
UPDATE:

The service tech called and told me the ECU is fried!!!!! WTFFFFFFF!!!!!! He asked me if I had done a reflash or anything and I told him I haden't (whcih is true), so they are covering it under warranty, but WTF.

How on earth did this happen?

I'm out of a car until Tuesday.
It could just happen like a sensor going bad. You didnt have a bottle of water in the glove box did you?? Thats the only thing I could think of. Im a BMW tech and the ecu could go bad. I usually dont see this happen but its possible.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah it's kind of rare. I had a similar experience with a fried ignition coil.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

nm

Last edited by vtecwrecker; Oct 14, 2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

ya it is truly bizaar, and to be honest I'm not sure I totally believe them. I mean, how the hell could this happen? I have nothign in the glove box but papers, and I've never done anything to the ecu or any wiring for that matter.

I guess, I'm glad as long as they're fixing it at no cost to me, but still, if they don't know what caused it - then how am I going to be sure it won't happen again?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

It may BE a defective part in the ecu, but I don't believe that if you were to have had a flash on the ecu that it would fry it.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine had to be towed 4-5 times in its life, from the IC pipes blowing off, usually the front right one, this last time, it was the one on the other side, but below the battery. I had the car at an autoX, and the car just quit! This was from the starter wire falling off! when I turned the key, NOTHING! not even a car horn, radio etc...
If you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for 10 minutes, reconnect it, that might be the trick. It resets the ECU. In my expierence, I say you blew off an IC pipe, or lost a connection somewhere. If you are in doubt people, disconnect the battery and reset the ECU.
Did you have this car from new? If not, some people mod their cars, and put them back to stock, and some can have spliced wires here and there which could have led to a short. Was it wet when you were driving it? The car cranks over but wont start? Mine did that everytime I blew a pipe off. I also "cracked" an IC pipe, where it bends around the battery, causing air to get sucked in. Cant tell it from looking, have to take the hose off.
Good luck, and keep up updated!
Old Oct 15, 2005, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

I typed all this CRAP and didnt see there was 3 pages! My bad, I wont get that 15 minutes of my life back! good luck.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 05:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How long have you had the cat delete in? A buddy of mine back a couple of years ago wired in his Ultimate-Racing cat delete wrong by getting the two black wires crossed, the car exhibited the same symptoms as you are describing. He had it towed to the dealership two or three times for this and after resetting the ecu it would run again but after about five or six key cycles it would do it again. I've yet to hear of an ecu dying all of a sudden like this up until now. Not saying it's impossible but just haven't heard of it happening.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

did they say why the ecu got fried?
ecu's dont just fry like that..
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I have only talked to them once on the matter, but the service advisor said he didn't know how it fried, but it did.

I have the cat delete but no cat delete fix. Like I said- the only wiring on the car is the light in the boost gauge. That's it!! lol

I hope next time I talk to them that they can give me more of an answer onto why it fried. Right now I'm fighting with them to give me a rental.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smp3000
Right now I'm fighting with them to give me a rental.

They should provide you with a rental for warranty work if it takes longer than a day.

You are entitled for it.

ECU's just don't get fried like that. Unless there is a wiring short. If there is one, they should find it first or you'll be getting a tow back to the dealer if it fry's again.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

^^ exactly. I'm fighting with Mitsu Corp. to get a rental. But the lame thing is that a "case manager" has to review the file before a rental can be issued, and the lady told me it sometimes takes 2-3 days before they can review it!! WTF lol
Old Oct 17, 2005, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Update: Aparently before they told me it was covered under warranty- they were reluctant to cover it becuase I left my ODB-II code reader in the car. They saw that and immediately tried to pin my fried ECU on the fact that I had a code reader in the car- with the theory that I pluged it in wrong and it somehow fried the ecu... WTF!!!!!

As of now though- the part is due in tomorrow and they're still covering it through warranty. Can they change their mind though? I'm nervous that once the part gets in they'll try to make me pay- even after they told me it was covered.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Man it's not even possible to plug ODB-II in wrong..
Old Oct 18, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, just wow....

There's more to the story but I'll let smp tell it. Words cannot describe how incredibly stupid this guy working at the dealership here is.

Quick Reply: Driving home and car stalls, won't start up again?