Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driving home and car stalls, won't start up again?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2005, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Driving home and car stalls, won't start up again?

So I'm driving home from work and all of a sudden I lose all power and the car dies... After pushing it with some random help- I got it parked. We checked all lines and saw no leaks or anything... Turned the key- still nothing... The car won't turn over. It wants to be feels like it's getting NO fuel at all.

The car has 20,000 miles and was only running 17lbs of boost. I've never run anything but premium gas and have no other mods other than exhaust and dropin filter... WTF is going on?

Had to have it towed to the dealer. Whatever this is, it better be covered under warranty.

Last edited by smp3000; Oct 21, 2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

that sux. I would prolly cry if I saw my Evo being towed away. Good luck. Keep us posted
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

It was tough to watch...

What confuses me is that last night the car stalled as I was backing out of my driveway and it wouldn't start back up... I let it sit for an hour and then she fired right back up without problem. But today she was having none of that and even after sitting for over 2 hours still wouldn't turn over.

Last edited by smp3000; Oct 21, 2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear
what was the battery voltage?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

You said it's not turning over. How about the battery? LOL Did you take it to Big 2 or over to Scottsdale? Let us know what's up.

I've seen you driving around from time to time over in Gilbert. Nice ride, man. I hope you get it resolved quickly.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Happen to me once. The fuse on the battery terminal blew somehow and caused all sorts of problems until I found it.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Nah we don't think it's the battery. The car will turn over for a second but will sputter and die. The starter and battery are doing their job but it's like the fuel isn't getting there. Even pressing on the gas won't raise the rpms during the turn over. It's wierd... If it was the battery the car wouldn't die while driving it lol would it?

We initially had it taken to Big 2 because that was the closest one and the only one mitsu roadside would have it taken to (since it's the closest), but after we got there there was no drop box for the keys. So it was taken to Tempe Mitsu, which is good cause Doug knows the techs there.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by w2pac12345
Happen to me once. The fuse on the battery terminal blew somehow and caused all sorts of problems until I found it.
Thats bizaar. We checked all the fuses- all turned out to be ok.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Doug likes those guys over in Tempe a lot. Good call.

I was fiddling with my i/c hoses a while ago and one popped off while I was test driving it. I lost all power, but the engine still rev'd for a bit. Once I came to a stop, the car died. Your description kind of sounds like that. I couldn't get it to turn back on. It was also pitch black and I had to push it under a street light. After I reconnected the fastener on the intake manifold, I was good to go.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think it's any intercooler piping. I had mine pop off before on the freeway and the car would run but barely. I was able to re-start it but it would die out quickly. Anyway, I checked all the piping on Scott's car (that i could see, cuz he has the undertray on still), and it looked all connected, at least enough to keep the car running.

Scott mentioned also that this same problem of dying and not re-starting happened yesterday too, but until tonight the car was working normally. So, why would the problem go away and then return? Very odd.

I can't believe Big Two doesn't have a night drop. What kinda ghetto place is that? Anyway, glad we were able to get it over to Tempe.

Last edited by naucrx; Oct 14, 2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

lol well the car isn't at Tempe yet.... The guy called and said that they had the gates all locked and no guard on duty. So he took the car back to their gated location and is going to keep the car on the truck until morning- and then take it to Tempe. I guess that's what they told him to do.

If this isn't covered under warranty, and having them keep the car overnight is more expensive- I could get stuck with a wickid towing bill.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SP00LIN
Doug likes those guys over in Tempe a lot. Good call.

I was fiddling with my i/c hoses a while ago and one popped off while I was test driving it. I lost all power, but the engine still rev'd for a bit. Once I came to a stop, the car died. Your description kind of sounds like that. I couldn't get it to turn back on. It was also pitch black and I had to push it under a street light. After I reconnected the fastener on the intake manifold, I was good to go.
Ya, I've dealt A LOT with IC pipes popping off. This is definately not one of those times. Usually even with an IC pipe off completely- the car will start or at least complete it's turn over before it dies...
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:41 AM

Do you know if you were getting spark?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smp3000
lol well the car isn't at Tempe yet.... The guy called and said that they had the gates all locked and no guard on duty. So he took the car back to their gated location and is going to keep the car on the truck until morning- and then take it to Tempe. I guess that's what they told him to do.

If this isn't covered under warranty, and having them keep the car overnight is more expensive- I could get stuck with a wickid towing bill.
Oh gawd dude, wtf? lol I remember when I took my car there for the night drop, the gate was open cuz we parked right there. That is strange.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1sweetoz
that sux. I would prolly cry if I saw my Evo being towed away. Good luck. Keep us posted
i know i did. they scrapped the hell out of the front and about 2 gallons of gas leaked out of the exhaust. my stomache just turned.

Quick Reply: Driving home and car stalls, won't start up again?