Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

critique my mod list

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
critique my mod list

i wanted to get ahead of the game before i got my evo and i allready got a list of mods. i did a few days of searching and asking questions and this is what i rounded it down to. i wanted to keep it basic and not get to crazy. what do you guys think? whats your opinion?

-APS bov
-Fujitsubo RM01A Catback
-Works drop-in filter
-Hallman MBC
-Greddy oil catch can
-Wallbro Fuel Pump 255
-Perrin boost tube
-B&M Short Shifter
-and then to top it all off once its installed: a drive to CT to get a custom tune by Dynoflash

What yall think???
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

No need for the perrin boost tube but the rest looks pretty good. Why not get a full TBE?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

not sure if you really need the boost tube. Make sure you get a turbo back exhaust not just a cat-back. You'll get no significant gains from just a cat back.
The oil catch can is something else that is not really a necessity, you can get away w/o 1 for a lil while longer.
Rather than getting these 2 just get a set of 264/272 or 272/272 cams from HKS or GSC
jus my .02 cents
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

or 272/264 cams. I am doing this as intake/exhaust, in case you were wondering
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:39 PM

-i really dont wanna get a full TB cause i dont want a loud car....which is why i chose the catback i did. i mean, if you guys have any reccomendations about what else i can add to that batcat and keep it quiet then by all means tell me...but from what i hear, once i put a downpipe on that it gets loud. im def not doin a cat delete though.

-and the greddy can, im just doin to keep the engine healthy. i currently have one in my N/A car and every few months i look in the can and see a lot of oil. i just think of all that being spread out through all my internals.

-and i didnt even consider cams because, correct me if im wrong, but i was told cams give you horrible idle and make a very rough ride and a bad daily driver. then again this is what happens when cams are installed in my tiburon. i was just assuming the smae principles applyied to the Evo. what cams do you guys reccomend? any idle issues?

Last edited by Junkboxer; Oct 14, 2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

cat back is actually louder from what i heard compared to a catback
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sirloin1219
cat back is actually louder from what i heard compared to a catback
isnt the catback just as loud as the catback
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eling99
good eye
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-APS bov
-Fujitsubo RM01A Catback
-Works drop-in filter
-Hallman MBC
-Greddy oil catch can
-Wallbro Fuel Pump 255
-Perrin boost tube
-B&M Short Shifter
-and then to top it all off once its installed: a drive to CT to get a custom tune by Dynoflash

What yall think???

I think that you don't need 90% of that stuff, and that for the most part your choices were poor.

APS bov is expensive and for your mods a JDM MR valve would be way cheaper and work just as well.

Fijitsobo cat-back, It's probably some cool JDM cat back or something, it sounds expensive and I don't see anyone raving over them here, for the most part people use TurbXs, Buschur, etc. Those exhuast are tried and true.

Drop in filter, I don't know anything about works brand, but not a bad choice if it only costs around 70 bucks.

Oil catch cans and turbo timers get lumped together in the "**** you don't need" category. If your car needed something to catch the oil it would come with it. The turbo timer thing, if you're running the **** out of your car and turn it off, you're going to have issues....here's a novel idea, how about you don't chop cut and rebuild on your wiring and just idle the car for 30 seconds before you turn it off. I just saved you 100 bucks, send me half via paypal please.

Walbro Fuel pump, great mod. One thing though, YOU DONT NEED IT. You're not pushing serious power with your current lists of mods, you don't need the fuel pump AT ALL.

Perrin Boost tube, I assume this is an intake pipe, stay away from these.

Short Throw shifter, personal preference I guess, but for the money, I could think of 100 things you could do that would be more beneficial, does your shifting time really matter on an essentially stock car?

Custom dynoflash, ok, atleast you're getting the car tuned, by why do you need a custom tune? You're not even running a turbo back exhaust, you'd be fine saving the 200 bucks over what you'd pay on a mail and just getting a mail in.

Lastly, why don't you stop posting here and go buy your Evo already, I'm sick of answering your questions that have been answered a million times. Next thing you know you'll be starting a post asking "WHAT IS TEH BEST INTAKE?!?!"
Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Junkboxer
-i really dont wanna get a full TB cause i dont want a loud car....which is why i chose the catback i did. i mean, if you guys have any reccomendations about what else i can add to that batcat and keep it quiet then by all means tell me...but from what i hear, once i put a downpipe on that it gets loud. im def not doin a cat delete though.

-and the greddy can, im just doin to keep the engine healthy. i currently have one in my N/A car and every few months i look in the can and see a lot of oil. i just think of all that being spread out through all my internals.

-and i didnt even consider cams because, correct me if im wrong, but i was told cams give you horrible idle and make a very rough ride and a bad daily driver. then again this is what happens when cams are installed in my tiburon. i was just assuming the smae principles applyied to the Evo. what cams do you guys reccomend? any idle issues?
Depends on the exhaust you get. With the Rm-o1A, even with a DP it will still be as loud as stock. I've heard it first hand. It also had a works Hi-Flo cat.
Next, don't you want your internals to be well lubricated?
Last, Didn't you say you were gonna get flashed? That will take care of or ,depending on who's doing the flashing, take care of the rough idle with the cams.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eling99

WTF?.........hahahaha
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by 1sweetoz
Depends on the exhaust you get. With the Rm-o1A, even with a DP it will still be as loud as stock. I've heard it first hand. It also had a works Hi-Flo cat.
Next, don't you want your internals to be well lubricated?
Last, Didn't you say you were gonna get flashed? That will take care of or ,depending on who's doing the flashing, take care of the rough idle with the cams.
what downpipe?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Works. How soon b4 you get an Evo man?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Fijitsobo cat-back, It's probably some cool JDM cat back or something, it sounds expensive and I don't see anyone raving over them here, for the most part people use TurbXs, Buschur, etc. Those exhuast are tried and true.

Oil catch cans and turbo timers get lumped together in the "**** you don't need" category. If your car needed something to catch the oil it would come with it. The turbo timer thing, if you're running the **** out of your car and turn it off, you're going to have issues....here's a novel idea, how about you don't chop cut and rebuild on your wiring and just idle the car for 30 seconds before you turn it off. I just saved you 100 bucks, send me half via paypal please.

Walbro Fuel pump, great mod. One thing though, YOU DONT NEED IT. You're not pushing serious power with your current lists of mods, you don't need the fuel pump AT ALL.

Perrin Boost tube, I assume this is an intake pipe, stay away from these.

Custom dynoflash, ok, atleast you're getting the car tuned, by why do you need a custom tune? You're not even running a turbo back exhaust, you'd be fine saving the 200 bucks over what you'd pay on a mail and just getting a mail in.

Lastly, why don't you stop posting here and go buy your Evo already, I'm sick of answering your questions that have been answered a million times. Next thing you know you'll be starting a post asking "WHAT IS TEH BEST INTAKE?!?!"
-i didnt just choose the Fijitsobo cat-back because it sounds all cool and shyt...i chose it because its one of the most quietest exhausts and i want a quiet car. and the list for wanting a quiet car can go on and on.

-i chose an oil catch can because id rather be safe then have an unhealthy engine. i have one on my current car and it catches lotsa oil where it shouldnt be. i dont think 90.00 is a big investment so i dont see why not.

-the Perrin boost tube is not an intake. infact i have done my research and i fully understand intakes for evolutions are not a good idea cause it ***s our mafs up.

-i would like to get a custome tune becuase dynoflash says they can guarantee more whp with a custom tune than a mail-in. plus it will just be more effiecient. i wanna make sure everything is in perfect shape.

-lastly, i will probably post here more before i get my evolution. i would like to be fully prepared for it when i get it and know EXACTLY what im doing. if you get pissed then ignore any threads that have my username under it. no reason to come in and bash me and call me a ricer and what not.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1sweetoz
Works. How soon b4 you get an Evo man?
it all depends how many 8's are left. i think theres a few so im prolly gunna have to take that loan out soon. playin it by ear. could be in one month.....could be in 3 or 4.

Quick Reply: critique my mod list