Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sti vs. evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zectasy
from what i have seen is 1/4 mile wise and power wise it seems like the sti overpowers the regular evolution and almost the mr....i was just wondering on your guys honest opinions with the sti vs. the evo....the only bad thing i have heard about the sti is the fact that they dont respond too well to mods...well if i was going to get a sti all i would do most likely is a full exhaust...the fact that they already run low 13s stock a good exhaust might get it into the 12s...to get into the 12s with a evo requires a decent amount of mods...
After all these times I've told you to search and get your info straight you go and pull this crap.

Where in the world have you seen that STI's "overpower" the regular evolution and MR? How many times have you read my posts? Have you never looked at my sig? Did you not see the 13.17 in stock form? That was with a _BAD_ 60' (1.92) and was on my very first try straight off the street. Other 05 GSRs have run 13.0 @ 105. My car and those were capable of 12.9s with a better launch, but we didn't bother going back without mods. Maybe you were referring to 03/04s only? I didn't know you were talking about getting a used Evo this whole time, but 03/04s run 13.3 if driven properly. I haven't personally seen an STi run better than that when stock, but there may be some around.

Now, as for getting into the 12s, it's way easier with an Evo to go faster, even just getting 12s is simple. I added only an S-AFC, tuned it myself, and ran 12.8 @ 106.3 on pump gas. Now, you can see I'm at 12.01 on race gas with just TBE/tune/boost. Go find the mods needed to get an STi to 12.01. Now, I know that's not as important, since you won't be racing it, but it's hard to beat an Evo when it can go 12-flat (maybe 11s next week?) on such basic mods without cams...
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in my city theres like 20 stis and 6 evos guess its dif where u live sayin evos are common
Old Oct 15, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i use to have a lancer oz way back and i just started coming back on here about a week ago to get some info on evos...thanks for everyone who has posted...seems like neither one is alot better than the other....im still leaning towards the evo...i just love when i see a sti for the fact that they are a lil but more uncommon
More uncommon??? Are you serious? I see far more STIs than Evos. I rarely ever see another Evo randomly on the street...I mostly see them when we meet up on purpose.
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

^ true, i see a lot more STi than Evo around where I live also....most of my friends just like the STi more because they don't understand anything about either cars except the STi has 300 hp and 300 tq and that sounds like it's a faster car than the Evo with 276hp and 286 tq...
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

i figured the posts would be obviously biased but i figured there might be some truthful people out there....i love the evo...i have loved it since it came out...i just cant make up my mind between the 2....the only thing i like more about the sti is that you can get them used for mid 20s and they are faster than a stock evo. but looks wise i think it goes to the evo...i just wonder what car would be more reliable and hold its value better
so what do u think that your answers wont be bias now compared to ALL the past posts on this topic in EVOLUTIONM? Bottom line its what suits u best, what U like better, if u mod evo is is easer for that, if u dont sti. of course there will be bias on EVOM but thats a f uking given. LOL u know what else is funny everyone that i know that was borderline on the two always ended up getting the STI, it seems that most people that get evos KNOW they want one from the start, of cousre my .02 cents.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
More uncommon??? Are you serious? I see far more STIs than Evos. I rarely ever see another Evo randomly on the street...I mostly see them when we meet up on purpose.
yeah i have to agree, that statement is wrong, evos are limited, sti's are not.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

from what i have seen is 1/4 mile wise and power wise it seems like the sti overpowers the regular evolution and almost the mr....i was just wondering on your guys honest opinions with the sti vs. the evo....the only bad thing i have heard about the sti is the fact that they dont respond too well to mods...well if i was going to get a sti all i would do most likely is a full exhaust...the fact that they already run low 13s stock a good exhaust might get it into the 12s...to get into the 12s with a evo requires a decent amount of mods...
Watch this:
(right click and SAVE AS)
http://media.racingflix.com/rfvids/r..._vs_WRXSti.wmv
Do you want a Boy's car or a Man's car!
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AznX TL
this is only the billionth thread on sti vs evo
plus 1. almost every evo forum has this thread.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:42 AM

Well I rode in my friend'sd new 06 Sti and can tell you what I noticed. Ride quality is slightly nicer on the street from my 05 Evo, but on the track I imagine that translates into slightly poorer performance. His was also quieter on the inside, possibly more insulation/soundproofing(more weight) and did not feel as "tight" taking corners at moderate to high speeds. I tell you this though my friend, after riding in his car and then getting back in mine, I could not be happier with the purchase I made, and can't help but wonder why he keeps going back to the Sti.(it's his 3rd one, plus previously having a modded WRX before the Sti was out) Good luck in your car shopping.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Greyfox5
so what do u think that your answers wont be bias now compared to ALL the past posts on this topic in EVOLUTIONM? Bottom line its what suits u best, what U like better, if u mod evo is is easer for that, if u dont sti. of course there will be bias on EVOM but thats a f uking given. LOL u know what else is funny everyone that i know that was borderline on the two always ended up getting the STI, it seems that most people that get evos KNOW they want one from the start, of cousre my .02 cents.
That is very true. Most people who ask the Evo vs STi question will get a STi at the end simply because of the 300/300 advertised performance spec. However, for most who don't ask this question at the beginning, they would get an Evo

This is just how this works.

As someone stated, if you are considering modding the car for a quicker ride, get the Evo. That is simply because of the money factor. If you are not concerned about that, get the STi and spending all your time finding a good mod for it.

Evo's engine, which is 4G63 has been around in the States for sometimes by now, so there are plenty of quality mods available.

If you want a deeper understand of how much each of these cars would cost when modding it, try to search in both forums for Evo and STi and see how much people have spent for getting the goal you want. For example, how much it would cost to have the car I want running in 12.0 with the skill you have.

Good luck and of course, let us know your decision.

Old Oct 16, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

I just got my s2k with fully rebuilt turbo charged.
EVO is my Winter beater.

sorry a little off topic.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bd307
That is very true. Most people who ask the Evo vs STi question will get a STi at the end simply because of the 300/300 advertised performance spec. However, for most who don't ask this question at the beginning, they would get an Evo

This is just how this works.

As someone stated, if you are considering modding the car for a quicker ride, get the Evo. That is simply because of the money factor. If you are not concerned about that, get the STi and spending all your time finding a good mod for it.

Evo's engine, which is 4G63 has been around in the States for sometimes by now, so there are plenty of quality mods available.

If you want a deeper understand of how much each of these cars would cost when modding it, try to search in both forums for Evo and STi and see how much people have spent for getting the goal you want. For example, how much it would cost to have the car I want running in 12.0 with the skill you have.

Good luck and of course, let us know your decision.

Yeah he just elaborated on what i was saying, but again in the end its what u can AFFORD and what U want.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 07:37 PM

evo all the way. ive driven an sti and i just dont like the way it handled compared to my evo. everyone who i know that has an sti wants to trade it in for an evo! good luck with the decision!
Old Oct 16, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HeoEvo
I just got my s2k with fully rebuilt turbo charged.
EVO is my Winter beater.

sorry a little off topic.
Winter "beater" huh, that's humorous
Old Oct 16, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

i see about 10 sti for every 1 evo i see!

Quick Reply: sti vs. evo