Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sti vs. evo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I have never seen a stock STI do well at the dragstrip. Just an observation. There was an 06 STI here at Firebird and he couldnt get past 14.8 stock...while I busted out a 13.6. Driver I am sure was the factor, but every STI I have seen at the dragstrip doesnt do very well.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesnt make a whole lot of sense that sti's do that poorly at the track because they are supposedly easier to launch then the evo. i myself have never been impressed by stock sti's at the track and often see them run 14.0-14.3 or so, but everytime Sport Compact Car does a comparo on the two they say that the sti is easier to launch. so why do they suck?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVILutionVIII
Winter "beater" huh, that's humorous
especially of its AWD!!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

i was in the same situation 1 year ago. I went and drove both, and you see where that took me!

This car responds to mods like you wouldn't believe. Ive run 118.50mph down the 1320 with this car with very basic mods.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:01 PM

Evosti

OK!here it is The Evo has a motor that has been around for many moons the Sti uses a engine Subaru had to put in it to even have a chance to compete with the Evo,now look at the numbers STI 300-bhp 300tq 1\4 mile 13.2, larger motor,,,,The EVO 276-bhp 286tq 1\4 mile 13.3 ,now the road course the evo wins hands down at the track the sti wins by .blink ,the sti is way more prone to get overly tail happy and spin out unlike the Evo that seems to just track up and go leaving the sti in the ditch.My bro bought an evo a month ago and has been driving another friend of ours sti who got it around the same time but went to IRAQ for 6mon my bro said it the best way driving the evo then driving the sti made him miss the evo,,,he isnt being a jack *** the dealer told him to let some one drive it for 30 days to make sure every thing was up to par for him since he was out of country,The evo is also way easier to work on ,hell find the spark plugs on the sti also how many stis do you see breaking records?evos I could name about 10 right now
Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

OK, as my sig might not say (little tear here), I actually don't have an Evo these days. I have had 2, and LOVE the cars. With that said, many people that I know have STi's...and they love them. I really think you can't go wrong with them, especially if you want to leave them stock. If you are into modding, well...some of the Subi guys I know have had great luck. I know a lot more about modding the Evo, so my opinion is totally biased in this area. My Evo responded well to minor mods, and there are tons out there for very little money (in the scheme of modding cars.) If you plan on staying stock, pick the one you like the most. When it comes to .1s in a 1/4 mile, YOU (the driver) is much more important than any stats put out by mags. Pick the one that will bring a smile to your face every time you have to get in it...if you like the big hood scoop, and a bit more refined of an interior...STi might be the winner. If you want a car that feels closer to a track car, has the IC up front, etc...the Evo wins. If you want to mod, I'd prefer an Evo...but do your research and decide that for yourself.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked this question less than a month ago. ...after much research, guess what I own?

...As far as seeing STis, and EVOs on the street? Maybe about 20 to 1 ratio. I've only run across one other EVO by chance. I see STIs every day. ....I live in Reno though, so that may play a part in it.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Old Oct 17, 2005, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Both are great cars, drive them both. Dont worry about whats cheaper to mod or which one is faster around the 'Ring or which one is faster in the 1/4 mile....just buy what drives the best to you and which one is easier on your eyes.

Going to chose one or the other because after investing $5k in mods one is $69 dollars cheaper than the other?? No, of course not. Both are for the most part cheap to mod so dont stress about that.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO3675
the sti is way more prone to get overly tail happy and spin out unlike the Evo that seems to just track up and go leaving the sti in the ditch.
wow.. really? you're sure about that?

because the STi would actually be a lot easier to control if it WERE tail happy, when in reality, understeer is the reason it doesn't do as well as the Evo. watch that Top Gear video. watch any BMI video, they ALL complain about the STi being too prone to understeer.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

exactly ^^
stis have understeer not oversteer
Old Oct 24, 2005, 04:13 PM

yay for the Evo!!! boo for the STi!!! Evo outhandles the STi been proven many times.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

plus the sti just sounds like ****, i hate the way subies sound
Old Oct 24, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

In response to the tail-happy comment: I recently drove both an 05 STI and an 03 EVO VIII at Grattan Raceway (I was there with my modded VW R32). The STI definitely pushed more at no or moderate throttle, but got "tail-happy" AKA had throttle on oversteer characteristics much closer to a rear drive vehicle. Fun if you have confidence in your driving abilities-but not necessarily faster around the track. The EVO on throttle stepped out a bit but mostly just clawed in and took off (it definitely understeered at the limit as well but it felt more balanced and could be 4 wheel drifted more easily). The steering control in the EVO OMFG!! Made the R32 feel sloppy and was significantly better than the STI as well.
Even though I had the fastest time 1:32 in my R32, I was so impressed with the EVO I just bought one. It seems to be a bit stiffer rear anti-sway and some R-compounds away from being a very capable track car. I'll defintely be looking for 1:30 with it next time out!

Johannes
Old Oct 24, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zectasy
from what i have seen is 1/4 mile wise and power wise it seems like the sti overpowers the regular evolution and almost the mr....i was just wondering on your guys honest opinions with the sti vs. the evo....the only bad thing i have heard about the sti is the fact that they dont respond too well to mods...well if i was going to get a sti all i would do most likely is a full exhaust...the fact that they already run low 13s stock a good exhaust might get it into the 12s...to get into the 12s with a evo requires a decent amount of mods...
I'm not normally one to comment on things like these "STi Vs. Evo" threads, because there are about 1000 of them, between the Evo sites and the STi sites.

Everybody has a different idea of opinion, or different idea of which is better. You're on an Evo site, so obviously people are going to tell you that the Evo is the better car. Go to a Subaru site, and they're going to tell you just the opposite.

Drive both, and decide which one you like more.

Ok, let me sum this up for you real quick. They both achieve the same things in different ways. The STi is a steak knife, while the Evo is a scalpel. Comprende'?

As for ease of modding, the STi responds just fine to mods, but it's more expensive to mod than the Evo, and the STi's ECU is much more "****" when it comes to mods.

If all you want to do is run mid/high 12s, get an STi. Anything more than that, and the STi is going to cost you some bucks to mod. If you want a track car, and want to run faster, get the Evo. However, once you hit about 400-450hp on either car, they're both going to start costing a lot to mod.

Quick Reply: sti vs. evo