Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO 9 Driving Impression? New IX owners?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
Switzer just strapped a IX to a dynojet dyno and made 276AWHP. That is a huge increase from what stock VIII's were dynoing if you ask me.
Very hard to believe that number and i'm sure this dyno power varience thing has been argued everywhere. The guy who started this thread did ask for driving impressions and i am afraid to test drive one because I might place myself further in debt. I would think it would be obvious that the IX would be more refined because its only logical. Look at the jump in TOTAL performance between the 03's and 05's.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

As anything on these boards, it's hard to gather information from this thread. People will just have to wait for more dyno and 1/4 times to be presented. Someone mentioned it pulls harder etc....but how much harder? These types of posts can be deceiving. Person A) may have a 230whp 03 vs person B) who has a 250whp 03 evo (stock). Of course a jump from 230 to 275 (you're forgetting the exhaust adding 1whp) is going to seem like a huge jump. Whereas 20whp will ne noticeable but nothing to crap your paints about. I dont doubt the IX isnt faster, but i also dont doubt it's not faster by much.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:19 AM

What you're forgetting is that the IX is geared different. So it's not about dyno numbers. The IX pulls harder because the gears are made to better fit the torque making it accelerate faster.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Back to back IX MR vs. '05 VIII w/ SSL - what I noticed the most from over 600 miles of seat time.

Noise: IX has less cabin noise and less 'whine' from the engine. Improvements in soundproofing the engine were added and it shows.

Ride: No surprise, the MR is softer, more street friendly. Cant say its 'better' because the body roll makes the car feel as if it does not handle as good but thats a false feeling I suppose. Still, for fun factor the MR falls a bit vs. the other.

Performance: Torque. Comes in sooner (yes you notice it) on the IX but after 5k it feels the same. Its considerable and I dont think its the 6 speed vs. 5 speed causing the feeling. I have no doubt 0-60 and 1/4 mile the IX will be ahead of the VIII albeit by a small margin.

Misc: Car feels built a bit better, probably from sound proofing and interior trim being toned down a bit, plus the seats look better (subjective I know).
Old Oct 19, 2005, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have not driven the 8 for a long period so I cannot really compare. Though compared to a 2001 porsche 911 (base carerra), it feels like it pulls a lot more. I have not fully used my evo yet because of the break in though from 3-5k, I am loving the power.

I went to an empty parking lot and was playing around and noticed it is not as tail happy as a miata or boxster. Perhaps the tires grip so much or I am just too scared to really push it, though when I had a miata or boxster or carrera I was able to easily put the tail out. This is my first 4wd car so I am still getting used to it, I know that plays a big part in trying to get the tail out.

Sorry if there is no real information about how the 9 is, though it is a great car and I think it will make most people happy.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsu says the 8 had 271 hp and the 9 has 286hp, simple math shows the 9 has 15 more horsepower! bam easy as that, so i came to the conclusion that the 9 is just as fast as the 8 with an intake.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saywhen
well the jury is out then 8's officially suck and 9's rule. After all they are so much faster stock.
don't be a jealous whiner
Old Oct 19, 2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by SilverNine
Mitsu says the 8 had 271 hp and the 9 has 286hp, simple math shows the 9 has 15 more horsepower! bam easy as that, so i came to the conclusion that the 9 is just as fast as the 8 with an intake.
2005 was 276bhp rated FYI.

Mine is rated much higher
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:06 PM

I don't care if they dynoed the 9 and only got 1whp over the 8. The fact is that the 9 has variable intake cam timing which is more efficient and hence will have more overall potential than the 8 PERIOD.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by allturbo
I don't care if they dynoed the 9 and only got 1whp over the 8. The fact is that the 9 has variable intake cam timing which is more efficient and hence will have more overall potential than the 8 PERIOD.
Only time will tell, not your post.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by avguy
I picked up an mr last week and am very pleased with it so far. I cannot believe how quick this little 2.0l car is. I have driven an evo 8 for a few miles so cannot really tell the differences, but I can tell you that I am surprised. I am surprised that the car is able to hang with performance vehicles like s4 and m3 for a fraction of the cost. I am also surprised that the car is built as well as it it. My father-in-law is importing a Lancia Integrale this fall from Italy and can tell you that they are very similar. I have driven that car in Italy and it was built like crap compared to the evo. I cannot wait for the break in period to be over as it is then, and only then I can see what this thing has.

Pete
The Lancia Delta Integrale is still one of my all-time favorite roadgoing "rally" cars. I bought a brand new "16V' model in 1989 when I was living in England.....what a blast
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

could any new IX owners tell me if they leased ... havent heard too many ppl who leased an evo but yeah ... *prices and down payments would be nice to know*

would anyone bash on me if they knew that i am thinking of getting the new 06 Si ? *currently in 2nd year of lease with 04 Si* ...

so many people are going to buy Civics that I wanna push for my parents to lease me a nice BLUE IX!

hahaha the funny thing is in my mind i always say *hey im gonna be a nurse soon enough so why not lol*

Last edited by wh03lse; Oct 19, 2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

I had an 03 8 with TBE, intake, throttle body, FMIC, MR diverter, Boost controller, fuel pump and a TurboTrix flash. Obviously my new MR is not as fast but it does feel like smoother power delivery and definitely a lot stronger down low. I have no regrets and am very happy I made the jump.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wh03lse
could any new IX owners tell me if they leased ... havent heard too many ppl who leased an evo but yeah ... *prices and down payments would be nice to know*
Do a search on leasing, it basically doesn't cost much more to buy than lease an Evo. I want to say $50-75 was the difference...
Old Oct 19, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ErroR
I had an 03 8 with TBE, intake, throttle body, FMIC, MR diverter, Boost controller, fuel pump and a TurboTrix flash. Obviously my new MR is not as fast but it does feel like smoother power delivery and definitely a lot stronger down low. I have no regrets and am very happy I made the jump.
The 6sp box from 60-100 is advantageous over the 5sp, feeling quicker. That 6sp is worth it's weight in gold.

Quick Reply: EVO 9 Driving Impression? New IX owners?