Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Worthy rivals for stock Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think its been said we are right, seems like we have FastestEvar's twin brother here.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 03:31 PM

Didn't David Buschur Make a post just the other day about Shep? I think he said that with his motor, now in sheps 1st gen. DSM, Shep just dipped into the 7s?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one of my good friends has a WS6 6-speed, and this thing is bad!!!
And yes he can drive!
He would not race me from a dig, b/c he keeped telling me as long as I had a decent launch i should beat him,
so on a closed cours we raced from a roll.
I have a stock 03 evo, and knew that he had the advantage, but when we took off, he jumped me a little but my nose of my car was at the back end of his door.

I thought he would have blown my doors off, but it was pretty dang close! from a dig I am prett sure I would get him, as long as he doesn't put drag radials or slicks on it
Old Oct 19, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jasburbak
I guess these kind of threads have been talked all over individually, but what are the stock Evo's worthy rivals?

this kid bet me $100 ( i know its nothing, but a free turbo timer in the end that his stock '00 Mustang GT would smoke me...the thing is, he's never even heard of an Evo..he said there is no way a 4 cylinder car can beat him..

although he doensnt know hes in for a suprise, i was questioning who else can i take advantage of?
Off of a highway roll, he's going to give you a run. Keep in mind they have overhead cams, so they're making their power in more of the midrange area.

Off the dig, he's yours.

And yes, please be responsible and take it to the track.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, but once our turbo engages (whether after a dig or rolling) wouldnt that give us the advantage? I mean i just read this article:

We’ve all heard the wisdom that there’s no substitute for cubic inches, but cubic inches of what? Is it cubic inches of engine that count, or cubic inches of air in the combustion chamber? It’s obviously the latter. So consider this, 15 psi of boost effectively doubles the size of an engine. That means 15 psi of boost will make a 350-cubic-inch performance engine seem like a 700-cubic-inch performance engine!

Actually, this picture isn’t accurate. If you understand engines, you’ll immediately realize that 15-psi boost more than doubles the performance an engine. It does this for two reasons: first, the internal friction of the engine remains largely the same regardless of boost, so the extra power from turbocharging is almost totally available to power the vehicle; and second, the 15 psi of boost in the induction system actually helps push the pistons down on the intake stroke whereas the intake stroke created a pumping loss (negative torque) when the engine was normally aspirated.

So what is the power surge we experience when this happens, make a 276hp car feel double its hp, torque?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, but once our turbo engages (whether after a dig or rolling) wouldnt that give us the advantage? I mean i just read this article:

We’ve all heard the wisdom that there’s no substitute for cubic inches, but cubic inches of what? Is it cubic inches of engine that count, or cubic inches of air in the combustion chamber? It’s obviously the latter. So consider this, 15 psi of boost effectively doubles the size of an engine. That means 15 psi of boost will make a 350-cubic-inch performance engine seem like a 700-cubic-inch performance engine!

Actually, this picture isn’t accurate. If you understand engines, you’ll immediately realize that 15-psi boost more than doubles the performance an engine. It does this for two reasons: first, the internal friction of the engine remains largely the same regardless of boost, so the extra power from turbocharging is almost totally available to power the vehicle; and second, the 15 psi of boost in the induction system actually helps push the pistons down on the intake stroke whereas the intake stroke created a pumping loss (negative torque) when the engine was normally aspirated.

So what is the power surge we experience when this happens, make a 276hp car feel double its hp, torque?
Sorry, man, no. You just don't sound like you really know anything and don't know how to drive your Evo yet. I take my first response back. I don't think you will beat this GT or hardly anything on my original list until you learn a bit more about what you have...
Old Oct 19, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dan2510
Host the video..
no street racing threads,
Old Oct 19, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Well if you know so well, then please do care to explain what the article is trying to say. Im NOT saying that when the turbo kicks in your car goes from 276 to 500+ hp, but the article states that a 350 ci engine acts like a 700ci...

trust me, i know how to drive..this is my first turbocharged car so its quite natural for me to not understand the entire mechanical concepts behind it (i've had it for a month now) but that still doesnt mean i dont know proper launch and shifting.. jeez..

Last edited by jasburbak; Oct 19, 2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i *think* you're misunderstanding the context of the theory.... the article is describing the power output if you turbo'd a 350ci engine to 15psi... here, our cars are already turbo'd. they'd put something pathetic down like 120 or so chp NA (i'm just pulling this number out of my ***). so take that 120 chp, add 15psi (in our case, 19psi) and that's how you'd feel like you're doubling your output to 276chp or whatever.

edit: of course there's a whole crapload of engineering and whatnot that'd go with this, but i'm just trying to describe the very basic ideas
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

got it. before i read this article i had it right, after, i thought i had missed a huge concept... thanks..
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

i deadstoped a buddy of mine the other day with an srt-4 and lets just say the outcome was crazy. lol i could barely see him after that. lmao
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Stock for Stock aren't baseline GT-R34's about the same as an Evo of the same life span? Or am I wrong to think that? BTW I mean 0-60 0-100 1/4 wise.

These are some specs I found

99 skyline r34 gtr
1/4 mile: 13.7
0-60: 5.2
0-100: 13.7
top speed: 155.0 mph

Last edited by bfdd; Oct 19, 2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bfdd
Stock for Stock aren't baseline GT-R34's about the same as an Evo of the same life span? Or am I wrong to think that? BTW I mean 0-60 0-100 1/4 wise.

These are some specs I found

99 skyline r34 gtr
1/4 mile: 13.7
0-60: 5.2
0-100: 13.7
top speed: 155.0 mph
As for being stock, Skylines and Supras alike are overrated. Both, Evolutions and STis are faster than both of them in the 1/4 mile. In a top speed run, I can't say, because I've never had my STi over 110 mph, but with 3.91 gears, I believe they are, I think it's doubtful that an STi will run over a 145 mph top speed. The power is there, but it's going to run out of gearing. The same probably holds true for the Evo, because I believe they have a 4.xx gear ratio.

Start modding, and it's anyone's game, however, in the end, the cars with the displacement are the ones that are going to win. "There's no replacement for displacement," once it comes down to mod for mod.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

After reading this thread and the various directions it took.

I think i lost a couple of brain cells.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
As for being stock, Skylines and Supras alike are overrated. Both, Evolutions and STis are faster than both of them in the 1/4 mile. In a top speed run, I can't say, because I've never had my STi over 110 mph, but with 3.91 gears, I believe they are, I think it's doubtful that an STi will run over a 145 mph top speed. The power is there, but it's going to run out of gearing. The same probably holds true for the Evo, because I believe they have a 4.xx gear ratio.

Start modding, and it's anyone's game, however, in the end, the cars with the displacement are the ones that are going to win. "There's no replacement for displacement," once it comes down to mod for mod.
I have had my 2005 STi above 150mph many times and still had plenty of gearing and power left.

As for traction control in GM LS1's (Camaro SS and Trans Am WS6), they mostly apply brake not retard timing. I have a WS6 as well with the optional high performance factory 3.23 gears and I rarely use the traction control, but it is there if needed. With worn factory Eagle F1's, I must say it is hard to get traction even at 1500 rpm's taking off with the tire having about 50% tread left. I should run some ADVAN Neova's for all around traction. With 1.6 to 1.8 60ft times, stock my car is a launch beast and easily runs in high 12's(with tires that are not worn). With my tires like they are, the Evo would kill me at this point in time from a dig, new tires and game over(stock for stock in a launch).

All in all, it is still a drivers game when it comes down to it. It's really a kinda pointless argument about what car can outlaunch another. There are too many variables involved and no matter any outcome, someone will have some sort of excuse valid or not. People will argue this until they are blue in the face. Just enjoy all of these machines while we can all still afford the gasoline to drive them.

Last edited by Dayton_EVO; Oct 19, 2005 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Worthy rivals for stock Evo?