Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone fixed the rattling passenger seat?!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone fixed the rattling passenger seat?!?

Since shortly after I bought the Evo I noticed an occasional rattle in the passenger seat. It was completely a function of seating position though, if the seat was far back then it would rattle over every bump, if it was closer to the dash then only big bumps would make it rattle.

Now, 25,000 miles later, the rattle's pretty constant. I don't have time to take the car to the dealership and at this point I'd rather not have anyone touch the car but me. I thought that someone had posted a solution some time back (tightening some bolt, maybe?) but I can't find it now.

So, Has anyone else had the seat-rattle problem? How did you fix it?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

I just have someone sit in it!

Seriously I would like to know too, drives me crazy commuting.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
Since shortly after I bought the Evo I noticed an occasional rattle in the passenger seat. It was completely a function of seating position though, if the seat was far back then it would rattle over every bump, if it was closer to the dash then only big bumps would make it rattle.

Now, 25,000 miles later, the rattle's pretty constant. I don't have time to take the car to the dealership and at this point I'd rather not have anyone touch the car but me. I thought that someone had posted a solution some time back (tightening some bolt, maybe?) but I can't find it now.

Thanks!

If you don't know how to tighten bolts down on a seat rattle and let it go for over 25k miles, i'd hate to see you try and change the oil.

"tighten some bolt, maybe?" Tell me you're not serious. Really?
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks smartass. I've tightened all the bolts holding the seat to the floor (no problem there) and worked on the bolts that hold the slider rails on the seat (again, no luck). The rattle seems to come from the slider release mechanism which didn't look servicable last time I had the seat out.

And, "let it go for 25k miles" It wasn't bothering me till recently, and honestly, I'll do whatever I please with my car, thanks for asking.

Take your worthless comments somewhere else. If you paid attention, you'd recognize how I pop on here to help others out and ask reasonable questions. Rattles in the Evo are not uncommon, nor do they usually bother me, but as I stated, it's gotten worse and I'd like to hear someone's experience with the situation before i take the seat out in vain.

And thanks a lot for insulting me, someone who does his own work on his own car and anyone elses that asks.

Last edited by avengerhed; Oct 20, 2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Take it out.

It's extra weight anyways.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, i didn't mean to find humor in your joke... er question. Take it easy. Just to make it fair, i have a rattle in my car too. Coming from in front of the steering wheel next to the A pillar... When ever i hear it, i just think to my self "That noise just means all the money i spent on this car is under the hood".

Here.. Have one on me
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by walkedu
Sorry, i didn't mean to find humor in your joke... er question. Take it easy. Just to make it fair, i have a rattle in my car too. Coming from in front of the steering wheel next to the A pillar... When ever i hear it, i just think to my self "That noise just means all the money i spent on this car is under the hood".

Here.. Have one on me
Ha! I understand that it probably looked retarded but i'm no newbie. As far as other rattles...The A-pillar one is easy to fix. Just hit it with the bottom of your fist. If this is your first winter with the car wait till it gets so cold that the windshield weather stripping starts to creak...that's precious!

The car rattles don't usually bother me but the seat has become (especially in the past week) incredibly rattlly (not a word) in any position over even the slightest bumps...but unfortunately, it looks like the adjuster mechanism isn't serviceable, I guess i'll have to rig something up.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

past suggestions have included using some adhesive felt or foam tape on the slide release...i'll try this and post up for anyone else having the problem
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I tried that pounding thing you suggested a while back.. Didn't work. In fact, soon after that, i think my modless Evo got back at me by throwing a rod under normal driving conditions (get her back today with a new engine)?? And yes, this will be my first winter with her. I'm going to be buying studded snow tires next week. Rattles are just part of living in -60 temps. Every car gets em. Infact, last winter, my doors on the Mercedes froze shut (automatic doors with no key hole) so i had to climb in through the trunk. Rattled like a sun of a gun after that!

P.s. Sorry for thread jacking you.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by walkedu
I tried that pounding thing you suggested a while back.. Didn't work. In fact, soon after that, i think my modless Evo got back at me by throwing a rod under normal driving conditions (get her back today with a new engine)?? And yes, this will be my first winter with her. I'm going to be buying studded snow tires next week. Rattles are just part of living in -60 temps. Every car gets em. Infact, last winter, my doors on the Mercedes froze shut (automatic doors with no key hole) so i had to climb in through the trunk. Rattled like a sun of a gun after that!

P.s. Sorry for thread jacking you.
It's all good, it's been a ****ty week for me and the Evo. I couldn't get my thoughts in a row early this morning when I posted so I know it probably looked dumb.

The car's fun as hell over the winter (i think i'm one of the only locals to drive mine all year around) with even just a good set of snows (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2) Sorry to hear your Evo took a dump. Good luck when you get her back.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you sure it's the seat and not the buckle of the belt rattling against the b-pillar?

d
Old Oct 20, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
Are you sure it's the seat and not the buckle of the belt rattling against the b-pillar?

d
oh yeah, i get the buckle hitting the b-pillar a lot. you can test this on your own evo...if you move the passenger seat back all the way and the seat a light "bump" on the RECARO the whole assembly makes a hell of a noise. and the seatback wobbles. well now, on mine it wobbles over pretty much any bumps
Old Oct 30, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I just started having this problem today, on the way back from New Orleans. Drove me crazy. Nothing like hearing if for 5 hours. It’s not the seat belt. I've had that problem before, and tried holding the seat belt. It still rattled. I think it is where the back and the bottom of the seat are held together. The back of the seat was wobbling really bad. I'll have to check it out tomorrow.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:51 PM

Are you sure it isn't the dangling seatbelt rattling?

Originally Posted by avengerhed

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Will this happen on the IX too?

Quick Reply: Anyone fixed the rattling passenger seat?!?