Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exhuast Heat Wrap

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2005, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhuast Heat Wrap

Anyone know where I can get those on the internet for the cheapest price, I am wraping my exh manifold and the whole turbo back so i need a lot of it, thanks
Attached Thumbnails Exhuast Heat Wrap-heatwrap.jpg  
Old Oct 22, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.summitracing.com/
Old Oct 22, 2005, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or you could go to www.jegs.com
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

question

sould you heat wrap and after market manifold? what wouls this do for me and dif I don't what am I looseing out on?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dustin03
sould you heat wrap and after market manifold? what wouls this do for me and dif I don't what am I looseing out on?
Ideally you would like to keep all the heat that you can in the manifold prior to the turbo. This will help with turbo spool and turbo performance. So yes, anything you can do to keep the heat in the manifold is in the direction of goodness. Thermal coating will look better and last longer than wrap, but it's more expensive also. The gains will most likely be marginal, but it is in the right direction. The bigger/longer the manifold, the better the gains will be.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

well I think my wife ordered me a megan one so I was looking at some write ups about that one and so far everyone seems to like it
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
makesure it's thermal tech,
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.hpcoatings.com - get it done right, have these guys coat it. It will look better than the wrap, work better, and won't hold water that can lead to corrosion and promote cracking.

but if you MUST wrap it, http://www.buschurracing.com sells it and they're in Ohio, so freight should be pretty cheap to NY.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:12 PM
Former Sponsor

cityhugo: you don't need to thermal wrap the entire exhaust. really, you only need to wrap the header and thats it. the goal is to keep the heat in the headers so that you have high temps and pressures going into the turbine of the turbo. wrapping the downpipe will only keep some of the heat out of the engine compartment, but serves no other purpose. wrapping from the downpipe back would be worthless.

dustin03: yes you should heat wrap AND/or thermal coat the after market header. in fact, i think it would be silly to buy one and not do it. keeping the heat in is the goal and both methods help.

i should have made a writeup on how to heat wrap headers when we did our race car. it's not that difficult, but the key to making it look nice is to soak the wrap in water and get it moist, then start wrapping. use a piece of safety wire to hold one end in place, and then start wrapping down. soaking it will let it stretch while you apply it so that when it drys, it pulls tight to the header giving a much nicer clean look.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

thanks guys for all the info
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

wrapping the down pipe would be benificial if you have a high flow cat. the heat would raise the catalise in the tube and in return have the unburned gas burn up. just my two cents
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

i thermal tec wrapped my exhaust manifold and woulda wrapped my downpipe (near the oil pan) next if i didnt sell my evo already hehe
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wrapping the whole tb seems excessive
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
cityhugo: you don't need to thermal wrap the entire exhaust. really, you only need to wrap the header and thats it. the goal is to keep the heat in the headers so that you have high temps and pressures going into the turbine of the turbo. wrapping the downpipe will only keep some of the heat out of the engine compartment, but serves no other purpose. wrapping from the downpipe back would be worthless.

dustin03: yes you should heat wrap AND/or thermal coat the after market header. in fact, i think it would be silly to buy one and not do it. keeping the heat in is the goal and both methods help.

i should have made a writeup on how to heat wrap headers when we did our race car. it's not that difficult, but the key to making it look nice is to soak the wrap in water and get it moist, then start wrapping. use a piece of safety wire to hold one end in place, and then start wrapping down. soaking it will let it stretch while you apply it so that when it drys, it pulls tight to the header giving a much nicer clean look.
Excellent tips!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

try ebay

Quick Reply: Exhuast Heat Wrap