Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluebanana23
the big deal is that all the shops only do crush bend and only about 70 in the nation can do mandrel bends. When they do crush bent it's usually aluminized steel which cools faster which decreases velocity, crush bends will further the reduction.
70 in the nation? mandrel bending is that rare? ok, i'll just have to do some more homework.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

It cant possibly be THAT rare? I live in Butt ***k Egypt (Minot, ND) and i know of 3 places here town that can Mandrel bend. The only reason i know this is because i'm going to have a custom made exhaust after my Megan DP. No cat, no res., no muffler. It's just going to follow the stock position and have my stock exhaust tip welded on to keep the stock look. I was quoted $80 mounted for the industrial grade steal or $110 for Stainless. A few of my DSM buddies did the poor man special. $45 for crush bent cat back. Only lost 2hp on the dyno from their madrel bent HKS (14 lbs heavier tho). Not too bad IMO. Christmas is coming so i can't afford the exhaust i realy want and will have to settle for this cheap alternative. I found a picture that someone posted that did the same thing... I wish i could find it again. It's in one of the brazilion exhaust threads on here....
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone who has a mandrel bender is rarely going to do a one-off custom job because they make more money doing standard production. We are getting our new mandrel bender soon and we will be able to offer this to our customers if time permits.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know where people get the idea that mandrel tubing benders are rare, but they aren't. Just about any reputable mufler shop will have a mandrel bender.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa... RNR.. My buddie up here speaks VERY highly of you guys. I know he's bought a lot of things from you. I didn't know you guys post up here? He's a DSM guy from San Diego but is stationed with the Military same as I.

Anyway, yes, it's rare for a shop to do custom things like this for so cheap. But, this little town is a HUGE farming community. They do custom pipe bending ALL day for local farmers. And for some reason, they charge next to nothing for just about anything? A buddy of mine got a test pipe made and installed for $5! After we found out about this place on the out side of town, EVERYONE goes to this place. Mostly because they're the only ones around that will do any type of work to a cat-less exhaust.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

dsevo, what muffler shop has a mandrel bender in San Diego/Temecula? There is only one muffler/tuning shop in California that has a mandrel bender that I know of.