Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an '06 STI today....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zemo
Oh, it was white. I'm sure the black ones are faster
ROFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
According to the starter of the thread, STis are "all understeer." How'd he do a 180, if that was the case?

The WRX is "ok." It's a nice car, but NOTHING like an STi or an Evo.

As for the front end of the STi, it's a matter of personal preference. I stopped by the Suby dealer yesterday because I saw a new WRX sitting out front, and decided to check out the front end on closer inspection. As much as I'd hate to admit it, in person I liked it.
well since STi's are biased rear wheel drive, if he were to punch while going around a corner i could see that happening. Also i never had an issue with my STi understeering. I loved my STi but wanted to try something else after the crash.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

I'm just curious why someone with a subaru would bother posting in an evo forum? If you're happy with your subaru then why bother trying to defend it, better yet, why even read what evo owners (most of those who actually own one) think about it? They obviously made up their mind on the evo just as you did on the sti and that's why they have it. What did you expect? I left the comparing up to the professionals and that was one of the main reasons for getting an evo. In 90% of the comparisons I've looked at all went with the evo barely edging out the sti. I'm sure the sti is a great car in its own unique way but I'm glad I chose the evo. The evo does have its downfalls like the stiff ride but I've gotten over that after I've felt how it handles turns etc. As for some of the sti bashing on here, most of the guys doing the bashing don't have either car and are basing their judgement on a playstation experience. That's one thing I can't stand about this site...too many posers and not enough adults.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savaho
I'm just curious why someone with a subaru would bother posting in an evo forum? If you're happy with your subaru then why bother trying to defend it, better yet, why even read what evo owners (most of those who actually own one) think about it? They obviously made up their mind on the evo just as you did on the sti and that's why they have it. What did you expect? I left the comparing up to the professionals and that was one of the main reasons for getting an evo. In 90% of the comparisons I've looked at all went with the evo barely edging out the sti. I'm sure the sti is a great car in its own unique way but I'm glad I chose the evo. The evo does have its downfalls like the stiff ride but I've gotten over that after I've felt how it handles turns etc. As for some of the sti bashing on here, most of the guys doing the bashing don't have either car and are basing their judgement on a playstation experience. That's one thing I can't stand about this site...too many posers and not enough adults.
does that mean that i shouldn't post anymore? (i drive a subaru).

the reason why he posts here (as well as nasioc) is because he is a car lover. most of us love all cars and we post in many different forums because we enjoy the community and learning about other makes and models.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:36 AM

Both the STI and the Evo understeer stock. I owned a 2005 STi and and traded it for an EVO. I had the STi for 6 months. The STi definetly has more rear wheel bias and if you drive it right (brake hard and early and gas through turn) it will rotate, but it still understeers.
The Evo will do the same but it doesn't understeer as bad as the STi (varies depending on braking/cornering situation). But the steering on the EVO is much more precise. The Sti definetly feels more bulky/luxury, but I attibute that to stock suspension and slower steering. With some coilovers and the right alignment the STi rocks. As does the Evo. But you can't change the slow steering of the STi.
In regards to the 2006 Looks.. I think its laughable. I don't like it at all. If i didnt by my 2005 and waited to 2006, I would have never owened an Sti cause that front end is UGLY.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

STis handle at 0.90g on the skidpad
i've read evo8 MR's handle anywhere from .95-.96 on the skidpad
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

lol what are they gonna do take the wheel from you while you're driving?? hit their driving school 2nd brake?? Both dealers my mitsu dealer and the suby dealer and even the acura dealer that let me test drive a new rsx-s let me take it to 120 on the highway AND told me to floor it around corners to see how it wont let go of the rd..even the infiniti g35 guy let me do that..so i dont know what dealers you're going to test drive from but apparently they suck..most test drives of performance cars in my experience result in just as much fun for the salesperson in the car with you as it does for yourself..on that note i think the new sti is pretty sexy except for part of the front grille..

I'm not being defensive, but Subaru dealers don't just let you take an STi out and wring it out. He probably didn't take it over 45 mph, and talks about how there's "understeer all over."
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

yes, thats the part most everyone dislikes
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Yah, I don't like the new STi. There is just something missing from it. Plus the back is completely RICED out.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:09 AM

I would by an STI over an EVO for under one condition. That i was never going to mod ether car. I persionally like the interior of the STI better but the platform of the evo is just amazing. so at the end of the day evo>sti IMO
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

^same
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

I've driven the 06 STI as well. It didn't feel sporty to me but it did feel more tolerable for a daily driver. I'm not really looking for a race car but I definately like the looks of the EVO better. I'm sticking with Mistu.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blonde
does that mean that i shouldn't post anymore? (i drive a subaru).
Yes! ........... (joke)
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking of test drive policies...

It's absolutely ridiculous that anyone is expected to buy a car without test driving it.

I have never, and will never, buy a car without driving it first.

The dealerships should just keep one car for test driving purposes, since they tend to get abused.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Exectly, dealers around here don't let you test drive the Evo, they say for obvious reasons. I wish I would have test driven a WRX before I bought my RA. Maybe the insurance would have been too much for me, I dunno, but it seems like the AWD would have been a better choice.