Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an '06 STI today....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the evo specifically because of the $-Hp ratio.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OL_DIRTY
I've driven the 06 STI as well. It didn't

feel sporty to me but it did feel more tolerable for a daily driver.
Has anyone ever driven the MR?

It's pretty awesome with the bilsteins without the stiff ride of the GSR.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kee1pride
i've read evo8 MR's handle anywhere from .95-.96 on the skidpad
The MR also costs nearly $37,000, compared to a $32,000 STi. Can I get that extra $4,000 for suspension mods, then come back and compare?

A better comparison would be an "equal" STi, which there doesn't seem to be in the United States.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savaho
I'm just curious why someone with a subaru would bother posting in an evo forum? If you're happy with your subaru then why bother trying to defend it, better yet, why even read what evo owners (most of those who actually own one) think about it? They obviously made up their mind on the evo just as you did on the sti and that's why they have it. What did you expect? I left the comparing up to the professionals and that was one of the main reasons for getting an evo. In 90% of the comparisons I've looked at all went with the evo barely edging out the sti. I'm sure the sti is a great car in its own unique way but I'm glad I chose the evo. The evo does have its downfalls like the stiff ride but I've gotten over that after I've felt how it handles turns etc. As for some of the sti bashing on here, most of the guys doing the bashing don't have either car and are basing their judgement on a playstation experience. That's one thing I can't stand about this site...too many posers and not enough adults.
As to why you're curious why someone with a Subaru would bother posting in an Evo forum, I will respond with yet another question.

I'm curious as to why you have such an issue with me posting here just because I own a Subaru, and not an Evo. Am I not allowed to be a fan of both cars?

I could understand your issue if I were some young punk Subaru fanboy over here starting crap, but I've been nothing short of civil to everyone in all of my posts. I'm sorry that you have a problem that I correct people when they spread false information about the STi, but ignorance can spread quick.

You said it yourself. "Most of the guys doing the bashing don't have either car and are basing their judgement on a Playstation experience. That's one thing I can't stand about this site....too many posers and not enough adults." I would totally agree with you.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blonde
does that mean that i shouldn't post anymore? (i drive a subaru).

the reason why he posts here (as well as nasioc) is because he is a car lover. most of us love all cars and we post in many different forums because we enjoy the community and learning about other makes and models.
Thanks for the post, Blonde! Which Subaru model do you drive, and do you still own an 03 Evo as mentioned in your profile?

Just to clarify what you're already saying, I'm not a fan of car companies. I'm a fan of cars. I'm not a fan of Subaru, Mitsubishi, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Chevy, Ford, blah blah blah. I'm a fan of some of their models. There are Subarus I wouldn't be seen in (Baja, Outback), Ferraris I wouldn't be seen in (308, Modial),and there are Lamborghinis I wouldn't be seen in (Jalpa, Espada), etc.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savaho
I'm just curious why someone with a subaru would bother posting in an evo forum? If you're happy with your subaru then why bother trying to defend it, better yet, why even read what evo owners (most of those who actually own one) think about it? They obviously made up their mind on the evo just as you did on the sti and that's why they have it. What did you expect? I left the comparing up to the professionals and that was one of the main reasons for getting an evo. In 90% of the comparisons I've looked at all went with the evo barely edging out the sti. I'm sure the sti is a great car in its own unique way but I'm glad I chose the evo. The evo does have its downfalls like the stiff ride but I've gotten over that after I've felt how it handles turns etc. As for some of the sti bashing on here, most of the guys doing the bashing don't have either car and are basing their judgement on a playstation experience. That's one thing I can't stand about this site...too many posers and not enough adults.
I’ve been around on this forum for a very long time. In the beginning, none of us had an evo. All were/are welcome and anyone should be able to post here [Thanks to Mark (aka kk)...may his soul rest in peace].

Last edited by modvp; Oct 25, 2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:48 AM

^^^ exactly, can't we all just get along?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Thanks for the post, Blonde! Which Subaru model do you drive, and do you still own an 03 Evo as mentioned in your profile?

Just to clarify what you're already saying, I'm not a fan of car companies. I'm a fan of cars. I'm not a fan of Subaru, Mitsubishi, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Chevy, Ford, blah blah blah. I'm a fan of some of their models. There are Subarus I wouldn't be seen in (Baja, Outback), Ferraris I wouldn't be seen in (308, Modial),and there are Lamborghinis I wouldn't be seen in (Jalpa, Espada), etc.
not to get off topic but i drive a 2005 legacy gt. i do miss the evo so i will probably pick up a IX sometimes soon...
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

I saw an 2006 show up to one of our autox.. it was the 3rd sold in norther california and looked very impressive out there.. I was really impressed with how smooth it looked on course.. under heavy braking the car looked great, but it did appear to be understeering... and not nearly as on edge as the evos there.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:12 AM

They redid the torque split on the '06s i believe to less of a rear bias over the '05 models. Could be wrong though
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Don't blame ya! Nothing against younger guys, but I can understand if a 20 yr old kid walks in and wants to test drive a $31,000 car, but c'mon, when you're in your 30s, and you're there looking to test drive a $31,000 car, you're there for a prospective purchase, not a joyride.
Well dating back to an older post..I went to look at the STI's before the Evo. I liked the 05' and I got to test drive it and I'm only 18. Ofcourse, my friends dad owned the dealership..so I kind of had some perks, but when I went to a mitsu dealership..I told them I might be interested and they let me take it out no problem. Plus, I like the evo's stylish looks more(personal preference).

The new STI actually looks pretty good in person compared to the pictures online. I saw one the other night and got to talking to the guy and the car is remarkably clean.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kerndog8
I would by an STI over an EVO for under one condition. That i was never going to mod ether car. I persionally like the interior of the STI better but the platform of the evo is just amazing. so at the end of the day evo>sti IMO
I could see this too about the 04 and 05 STi's but not the 06. Never, ever would I buy an 06 STi over an Evo.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Besides the new grille (looks like a Tribeca), I don't like that extra spoiler on the roof. There are too many add-ons on the car. Along with the wing(higher than the Evo's) and the hood scoop, there are too many things sticking out on the car. At least the Evo only has the wing. I'm only talking about the 06's. The previous STi's were good.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dolemite45
They redid the torque split on the '06s i believe to less of a rear bias over the '05 models. Could be wrong though
Yes, it's 49/51 now.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dolemite45
No, your right. 05 STi split 50/50 or 35-65. 06 STi split 50/50 or 41/59 (I'm pretty sure).