Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an '06 STI today....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie Dynamite
Yes, it's 49/51 now.
Or it could be this, I get confused about this sometimes hehe,
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

went to mitsu dealership to test drive an 04 evo, they wouldn't let let take it out??? then i went to a suby dealership to test drive an 04 sti, they let me and i was able to beat the sack off of it surprisingly!!!! so i bought the sti!!! dumped a crap load in mods, and still made hardly any power!!! few months later got to drive a slightly modded evo (tbe,intake,mbc,reflash,cams) and was like "oh no".. here i am a year later, sold the sti got and evo...and am very pleased!! handles like a go cart and goes low 11's....

i used to have a 350z and then the sti... both were fantastic automobiles and come highly recommended for stock vehicles. but, for what we do with our cars the evo is the clear choice... and my personal favorite by far!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, this thread has gotten big since I last posted. I'm not going to reply to everything, but let me say a few things.

I'm 21, rode up to the subi dealership on a 30 year old bicycle, explained to him what car I drive, and what I do it. He let me take the car out, and "wring" it as you say. I hit about 115 at one point, and there's some very twisty backroads around here, where I nearly broke the tires loose. He approved of all of it, and thanked me for the ride.

Yes it handles well. No, it doesn't handle like an Evo. It feels like it has a lot of understeer. It maybe just a bit of understeer, but I'm comparing (albeit,very unfairly) to an evo with suspension, alignment, performance rubber, etc etc etc.

The DCCD was fun...in the '06, you can shift 95% of the power to the back wheels. It was a VERY different beast set up like that.

My opinions on the car are my opinions, derived unfairly from comparing to a heavily modified Evo. If you don't agree, I'm sorry!

Personally, I think having subi owners around is awesome...heck, I frequent NASIOC.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdking57
I saw an 2006 show up to one of our autox.. it was the 3rd sold in norther california and looked very impressive out there.. I was really impressed with how smooth it looked on course.. under heavy braking the car looked great, but it did appear to be understeering... and not nearly as on edge as the evos there.
Very true. The STi doesn't turn in as well as the Evo, but you can SURELY power the rear around in the STi.

Someone else mentioned that the torque-split was modified. That is correct, as it's been modified from 35/65 to 41/59. I've actually heard that the 05s are easier to power through corners with the rear out because of the torque-split being more towards the rear, but the 06 will turn in with slightly more precision. The more even split of the 06 can also works better as a "dummy device," or something to help a bit more with saving somebody's *** that can't drive.

I've driven both, and I liked things about them equally. It just so happens that the STi had the features where it counted more (for me). It doesn't mean I like the Evo any less.

I could go on and on about why I chose one over the other, and why I made the decisions I have, but I've repeated myself many a time in the past.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

^ Thing that I love about the STi is the dash, its just plain sexy. I love how it starts up too haha. I know its silly, but hey...its the thing you going to be staring at most of the time. Anyways, I heard that the 05s were more fun with the corner's with the power split. That also depends on your type of fun, and I personally have not tested both.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

If I must say, I've been hanging out in the EVO forum a little more lately and I've noticed that Sinister Subaru has made some of the best, well informed and thought out posts that I've seen to date on evom. I also like that he comes with respect despite having a different car and is open minded. I wish we had more STI drivers on this board that were like him as he brings a fresh perspective to the board. We all know he isn't a mitsu fanboy like me and can give some honest opinions.

Anybody that speaks out about him is less welcome here in my book.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zemo
Ok, this thread has gotten big since I last posted. I'm not going to reply to everything, but let me say a few things.

I'm 21, rode up to the subi dealership on a 30 year old bicycle, explained to him what car I drive, and what I do it. He let me take the car out, and "wring" it as you say. I hit about 115 at one point, and there's some very twisty backroads around here, where I nearly broke the tires loose. He approved of all of it, and thanked me for the ride.

Yes it handles well. No, it doesn't handle like an Evo. It feels like it has a lot of understeer. It maybe just a bit of understeer, but I'm comparing (albeit,very unfairly) to an evo with suspension, alignment, performance rubber, etc etc etc.

The DCCD was fun...in the '06, you can shift 95% of the power to the back wheels. It was a VERY different beast set up like that.

My opinions on the car are my opinions, derived unfairly from comparing to a heavily modified Evo. If you don't agree, I'm sorry!

Personally, I think having subi owners around is awesome...heck, I frequent NASIOC.
I couldn't agree more. I notice that AT THE LIMIT the STi's steering feel goes a bit numb, but for the most part it is very predictable. As for the tires, tires are a huge part of a suspension setup, in fact, the MOST important single factor in a suspension are the tires. I personally DO NOT like the Potenza RE070s. I can't wait to get new tires. I feel that with a different set of tires, the STi will handle even better. As for the AT THE LIMIT handling of the Evo, unfortunately, I'm unable to comment, because I didn't get the opportunity to try it out.

What I've also heard about the STi's handling is that when coming through corners, the front end starts to come up, regarding in loss of traction to the front tires, which makes it prone to more understeer than it should be. I've heard from numerous sources that an anti-lift kit will do wonders for the STi's handling, and even with just the anti-lift kit, the handling is a night and day difference. The anti-lift kit will probably be my first suspension mod that I do to my STi, followed by swaybars. I'm not sure if I'm going to get into shocks/springs, because I don't want to compromise the ride quality.

Oh, yes, I'm glad you enjoy having some of us around.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiroboi
If I must say, I've been hanging out in the EVO forum a little more lately and I've noticed that Sinister Subaru has made some of the best, well informed and thought out posts that I've seen to date on evom. I also like that he comes with respect despite having a different car and is open minded. I wish we had more STI drivers on this board that were like him as he brings a fresh perspective to the board. We all know he isn't a mitsu fanboy like me and can give some honest opinions.

Shiroboi,

Thanks for the compliments. They're greatly appreciated.

I just try to set a positive presence on the forum, and set a good example.

As for being a fanboy, I don't consider you such. We ALL know fanboys when we come across'em.

People tend to forget that when they act like tools, they're not only representing fellow owners/enthusiasts of the same cars, but they're also representing this forum, as well as themselves. I seriously doubt Mark worked so hard to create an atmosphere loaded with flame wars and bashing.

When new members, or prospective Evo buyers come in and see flame wars, it doesn't portray Evo owners in a positive light. On some of the Subaru forums, we always get prospective buyers visiting, who are cross-shopping Evos, and are looking for valuable information. Telling them, "Evos are pieces of crap" is not only portraying everyone in a bad light, but it's not helping that person's decision-making process either. The same goes for this site. Instead of bashing the competition, maybe they should provide valuable information. It makes us look like the tight-knitted community we should be.

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; Oct 25, 2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

I concur. I do more lurking on both here and IWSTI than posting and Sinister Subaru has insight (just don't knock his '94 Camaro! ). I'll never get why some people pigeonhole themselves with obsessive brand loyalty. You're limiting your options. I love my Evo but would jump ship at the drop of a hat for a better car. Maybe I'm just too laid back, but I don't care if someone thinks the Evo is a POS. Conversely, I'm confused when people interpret a compliment on a rival car as a denigration of their current ride...
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
I concur. I do more lurking on both here and IWSTI than posting and Sinister Subaru has insight (just don't knock his '94 Camaro! ). I'll never get why some people pigeonhole themselves with obsessive brand loyalty. You're limiting your options. I love my Evo but would jump ship at the drop of a hat for a better car. Maybe I'm just too laid back, but I don't care if someone thinks the Evo is a POS. Conversely, I'm confused when people interpret a compliment on a rival car as a denigration of their current ride...
on the Camaro! What can I say? I have a soft spot for my baby.

Ok, ok, I could care less that someone bashes on my Camaro, really. What really irritates me is that there's always some idiot crying "mullet this, mullet that," and your standard issue import fanboys make comments like "domestics don't handle." These things are spoken by true fanboys, and people that have no idea what they're talking about.

While we're at it, here's a newsflash for you Evo/STi fans out there. The STi handles at 0.90g on the skidpad, yet the 1985-1987 Camaro IROC-Z would turn in an STi-humbling 0.92g on the skidpad. This, coming from a car that's AT LEAST 7 years older, if you want to talk about the 1994 STi. If not, we can always talk about the 2001 STi, in which the IROC-Z is 14 years older than. Not to mention, the 1985 IROC-Z handled just as well as the Corvettes of the same time period, and is one of THE BEST HANDLING cars GM has EVER made!

If you like apples, how do you like 'dem apples?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
[off topic] Sinister Subaru, if you are interested in the Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit for the Subaru, PM me and let me know ... I might be taking it off my brother's WRX sometime later this year ... [/off topic]
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
[off topic] Sinister Subaru, if you are interested in the Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit for the Subaru, PM me and let me know ... I might be taking it off my brother's WRX sometime later this year ... [/off topic]
Hey man, thanks for the offer! Does the anti-lift kit work as well as I've heard it does?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

If I must say, I've been hanging out in the EVO forum a little more lately and I've noticed that Sinister Subaru has made some of the best, well informed and thought out posts that I've seen to date on evom.
+1 I think I have also seen Sin post on clubwrx with the same insight.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Hey man, thanks for the offer! Does the anti-lift kit work as well as I've heard it does?
Yes and no, the ALK changes you static castor, so for tighter turns you will definately feel an increase in grip in the front, but it will have less of an effect in turns that have long sweepers...

PS. Quit being so Sinister or else I'll have to call the COPS! (joke)
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by muzak
+1 I think I have also seen Sin post on clubwrx with the same insight.
Thanks again for the kind words, guys. They're deeply appreciated.

I haven't been around www.clubwrx.net in a while. I've flipped through NABISCO a few times, but spend most of my "forum time" either here, or in www.iwsti.com.

Believe it or not, I earned myself a "2-day ban" from www.iwsti.com a few weeks ago, for being less than kind to a new member. The guy had like 5 posts, and then started making comments about "Camaros and mullets." Because of it, I made some comments to him that weren't taken lightly by the moderators. In my opinion, being new to a forum, you try to set a good example, and make a good impression for yourself. By insulting cars that other people posting on the same forum probably own is not an ideal way to make a good impression, or make friends. To me, it just comes off as "fanboy behavior."

What can I say? I had a bad day and let my aggravation get the best of me. I can't be upset with the moderators, because I have no one but myself.