Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an '06 STI today....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
The guy had like 5 posts, and then started making comments about "Camaros and mullets."
So do you have a mullet?

Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Yes and no, the ALK changes you static castor, so for tighter turns you will definately feel an increase in grip in the front, but it will have less of an effect in turns that have long sweepers...

PS. Quit being so Sinister or else I'll have to call the COPS! (joke)
Thanks for the insight, man. Much appreciated! I'm more concerned with countering understeer in tight turns than in long sweepers. I think the STi does pretty well with long sweepers.

I'd be real happy if I could get my STi handling on par with a stock Evo, or maybe slightly better.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by muzak
So do you have a mullet?

Circa 1986, or circa 2005?

Ok, ok, I had the mullet from hell in the 80s, aka the "Camaro Cut, Kentucky Waterfall, Neck Blanket, etc."

Check out some of the "mullet" websites. They're hysterical. I was looking at one last week, but I can't remember which, and there were a few with captions like, "Now, this guy aspires to drive a Camaro when he's 16," or something to that effect.

Honestly, I've never seen a Camaro driver with a mullet, outside of the 1980s.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly, I've never seen a Camaro driver with a mullet, outside of the 1980s.
That makes one of us
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

i think the front end is ugly
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

they totally messed up taking a chance on that hideous look on the front grile
i call it the armor shield front grille .. because that thing reminds me of a shield or something

backside is nice .. i knoe the interior is gonna be spot on but still ...

interesting how i havent seen very man new WRX's or STi's for that matter
*i think 2 WRX's ... and 0 STI's*
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wh03lse
they totally messed up taking a chance on that hideous look on the front grile
i call it the armor shield front grille .. because that thing reminds me of a shield or something

backside is nice .. i knoe the interior is gonna be spot on but still ...

interesting how i havent seen very man new WRX's or STi's for that matter
*i think 2 WRX's ... and 0 STI's*
Honestly, the new front clip looks much better in person, but I wouldn't have taken a chance on that front clip either...........
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

If the Evo was never brought to the USA , I would be driving an STI.

Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly, the new front clip looks much better in person, but I wouldn't have taken a chance on that front clip either...........
I was as much of a hater as anyone when I first saw it, but in person it looks much better. Its kinda like the Enzo in that aspect.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

seriously, i can't get a test drive on eith the Evo nor the STi. none of the dealerships within 30 miles of my house would let me. anybody know any trick to try to drive one? =P
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Spec'd
If the Evo was never brought to the USA , I would be driving an STI.

The STI probably wouldnt be over here if it werent for the Evo.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
seriously, i can't get a test drive on eith the Evo nor the STi. none of the dealerships within 30 miles of my house would let me. anybody know any trick to try to drive one? =P
well i dont know how old you are, but I'm 18 and I got to test drive both very easily, probably because I went with my dad though.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, take your parents, and make sure to pull up in the most expensive vehicle your parents (family) owns. And be confident. Me and my bestfriend would do it all the time. I got to test drive a S4(V8), E55(old chasis), Corvette (2003)...

Good luck!
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ask the salesperson if you can take it around the parking lot, and then pull it out on the highway. "Ooooops, wrong turn."

The STI probably wouldnt be over here if it werent for the Evo.
True, but how true? The WRX came over first out of the bunch. Maybe Subaru had intentions of "testing the waters" for a market in high performance AWD cars here with the importation of the WRX, and the determining factor of whether to bring the STi over to the States was the WRX's success? Who knows for sure? Or, maybe it WAS the presence of the Evo on US soil? Again, who knows?

If you recall, Mitsubishi held off to see what Subaru was going to do. Subaru finally came out telling the world they were sending over a car with 276 hp. Then Mitsubishi said, "Cool! Our Evo makes 276 hp (271 hp US trim), so we'll be evenly matched!" Mitsubishi dumped the Evo here, and Subaru came back and dumped out a car with 300 hp. Since it was too late for the 2004 Evo to get a hp bump because they were already in production, Subaru had one-upped Mitsubishi, hoping that the higher hp number would capitalize on Mitsubishi's success with the Evo. To some effect, it worked, and worked very well. After this happened, Mitsubishi said, "Ok, we'll one-up the Subaru by shipping the MR to the states!" Due to the MR's significantly higher price tag over the standard Evo and the STi, it may not have swayed potential STi buyers' or standard Evo buyers' decisions, but it surely didn't hurt either.

These two companies have been battling it out forever. It's the "Camaro Vs. Mustang" rivalry of today, and I'm proud to say that I own one of each cars that is part of some of the greatest automotive rivalries in history. On US soil, the "STi Vs. Evolution" rivalry may not be as significant as it probably is in Japan, but nonetheless, these 4 cars, the Camaro, Mustang, STi, and Evo have a grip on some excellent history.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Couple of comments...

I couldn't agree more. I notice that AT THE LIMIT the STi's steering feel goes a bit numb, but for the most part it is very predictable. As for the tires, tires are a huge part of a suspension setup, in fact, the MOST important single factor in a suspension are the tires. I personally DO NOT like the Potenza RE070s.
Well said!! My brother has an 05 STI and the first time I auto-x'd it, I was like whoa, what the hell was that?!?!. It was like the steering just went away, totally numb. I can only assume it was the Potenzas. They must really sux. But the thing I did like, the torque. Hmm... Much more instant response than the 03 EVO I have auto-x'd. But not enough to sway me from liking the surgical like steering on the EVO. Awesome! Feels as quick or quicker than our S2000. Shifter kart quick, but with A/C!

Now, I wouldn't knock the WRX completely. I agree about them being very dog like slow straight from the dealer. I think the 2.0 turbos need about 5k miles before they loosen up. (Haven't driven a 06 WRX yet) My buddies WRX feels way quicker than they do on the lot. And his is still stock. I couldn't believe how slow the dealer WRX was. I kept asking the dealer, "What is wrong with this car?" I am sure he was fairly embarassed. Like I said, my buddies stock WRX feels much, much stronger with 60k on it. Not sure why.

Test drives. Never had a problem, only been thrown out of one dealership. (long story). Always been real polite and played their game a little. I like messn' with the sales guys. It is fun. I also don't rag on cars during drives, but I do "test" them a little, Not enough to hurt them though.

A previous post, said he would never buy a car without driving it first, it doesn't matter to me, as long as it is under 12 or 15 miles. I didn't drive my F150 when I bought it. I had driven others from other dealers but not the one I took home. I mean, it is a F150 pickup. How different could it be? I probably won't drive my next new car. I will drive their test car, but no need to drive mine as long as no one else "test" drove it. If it breaks, that is what warranties are for.

Sorry bout the long post.

Fun to read the mature posts. Thanks

/<