Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove an '06 STI today....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
Flip a coin, and buy either one or the other. Either way, you win.
i'm actually set on the Evo, cuz like/unlike u, when i first saw the Evo, i just fell in love with it...a 4 door sedan with awd dat's capable of insane performance with a wing dat makes it look aggressive....i just want to drive the STi to see what it feels like. from a recent motor trend test btwn the 06 Sti and Evo, it seems the STi got good improvement in the handling deparment, making the 2 cars even more the same performance cars...when they're stock for stock =P
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
i'm actually set on the Evo, cuz like/unlike u, when i first saw the Evo, i just fell in love with it...a 4 door sedan with awd dat's capable of insane performance with a wing dat makes it look aggressive....i just want to drive the STi to see what it feels like. from a recent motor trend test btwn the 06 Sti and Evo, it seems the STi got good improvement in the handling deparment, making the 2 cars even more the same performance cars...when they're stock for stock =P
Usually your first reaction is the correct one.

When you get your Evo, let me know how you like it.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zemo
Booooring! It felt big and bulky, understeer all over, and didn't pull anything like my evo...then again, my evo's had a lot of work under the hood. On the other hand, the seats are plush, dash is slick, and all the little dials and gauges look just right. Feels almost like a luxury car in comparison! I'm sure it's got just as much potential as any other STI....it's just no Evo! Classy, clean, solid car.

how good a driver are you may i ask?
when you say understeer all over give out some examples
just cuz you have a mod evo doesn't meant the sti is not a good car
stock to stock against the evo
Old Oct 29, 2005, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

My first reaction was the Evo because it looked cool to me and I saw many more STis. That was before I did all my research.

When I was reading reviews and watching videos comparing them I was always rooting for the Evo. My other good friend wanted me to get the STi, so it kinda made me more determined to get the Evo. As it stands now, I think they both are equal in the department of looks (for the most part). I love the STi dash, the sound the boxer makes, get more power across the board and the 6 speed. Still, I would prefer an Evo for the handling, steering ratio, seats, and the big winner is the affordability to mod. Plus, they are more rare in my area. But like Sin said, you can't go wrong with either.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by muzak
My first reaction was the Evo because it looked cool to me and I saw many more STis. That was before I did all my research.

When I was reading reviews and watching videos comparing them I was always rooting for the Evo. My other good friend wanted me to get the STi, so it kinda made me more determined to get the Evo. As it stands now, I think they both are equal in the department of looks (for the most part). I love the STi dash, the sound the boxer makes, get more power across the board and the 6 speed. Still, I would prefer an Evo for the handling, steering ratio, seats, and the big winner is the affordability to mod. Plus, they are more rare in my area. But like Sin said, you can't go wrong with either.

The Evo's seats are great! The STi's seats are like sitting on trampolines. One thing about the Evo is it is so much more aggressive looking than the STi. I never realized it until a buddy of mine (AndyBandy) parked next to my STi, and I compared them side by side.

The reason you see more STis is because all the Evos are in the service bays at the dealership awaiting new clutches and AWD setups. Some are there getting their brake calipers repainted.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

dont' worry, with my insane obsession for the Evo, when i actually get the car i will make at least 5 thousand picture/driving experience threads on this forum as well as socalevo and norcalevo (even though i dont like in norcal) and evomr.net. i might get banned and have my ip blocked, but i don't know, i might not be able to contain myself. btw i'm about to get a 2006 sti test drive....just finished readin the motor trend comparison, i'm eager to see how the 06 sti drives
Old Oct 29, 2005, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
dont' worry, with my insane obsession for the Evo, when i actually get the car i will make at least 5 thousand picture/driving experience threads on this forum as well as socalevo and norcalevo (even though i dont like in norcal) and evomr.net. i might get banned and have my ip blocked, but i don't know, i might not be able to contain myself. btw i'm about to get a 2006 sti test drive....just finished readin the motor trend comparison, i'm eager to see how the 06 sti drives
Haha, let us know how the STi feels!
Old Oct 30, 2005, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by muzak
Haha, let us know how the STi feels!
It feels like you're sitting on a fast trampoline.

Is that a good enough review for ya?
Old Oct 30, 2005, 02:36 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm not a big US STi fan. The amount required to invest in modifications to get them to be what I consider acceptable in the forward thrust department is too great IMO. The STi that interests me the most is the Impreza Spec C (EJ207 powered, baby!). I guess we can always dream of having that car over here! It seems Subaru still believes that us fat people in the US would rather have the torque from the extra half liter.