Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

PitPass....anyone get it...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PitPass....anyone get it...

So, now that a few poeple have their cars, did you get the PitPass, i ask (for the same reason i have asked about the warrenty) beacuse i am trying to figure out my "out of the door" price and i am gunna get it, and i am trying to get an idea of price so i fyou got it(eaither option ) please let me know
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

My dealer doesn't even sell it. They even went as far as to say that they think its a ripoff and not worth it.

Last edited by jedinite; Mar 15, 2003 at 12:09 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:20 AM

WOW - i bet the Mitsu mothership would be really pissed to hear one of thier dealerships saying that since they seem to be pushing it so much.

It is kind of like a McDonalds cashier saying "you dont want fries with that cus the sux and will kill you" LOLOLOLOL
Old Mar 15, 2003, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jedinite
My dealer doesn't even sell it. They even went as far as to say that they think its a ripoff and not worth it.
Translated: "There's no profit in selling it at the hourly labour rate Mitsubishi calculated into the price."
Old Mar 15, 2003, 09:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Mark F

Translated: "There's no profit in selling it at the hourly labour rate Mitsubishi calculated into the price."
He's right. There's like 0 profit in it. The dealer will make more money if you just walk in off the street and pay for your oil changes.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

My dealer had me watch a special pitpass maintenance video and then take a two page multiple choice answer test. Then I signed the acknowledgement sheet that I had watched it and got my special Lancer Evolution owners certificate.

I appreciate that they have taken the time to focus more attention on the more frequent maintenance needs of a turbo-charged performance car. For folks that have never owned a turbo car it is probably a nice overview to watch the video.
Personally having owned 10 previous turbo cars I didn't really learn anything new other than the suggested Advan tire break in period and the Brembo brake set-in period. This is just common sense though as well.

The pit-pass program is available in two levels of coverage. The first option provides 6 Mobile 1 synthetic oil changes at 5000 mile increments. During each maintenance they will do a 27 point inspection, rotate your tires, and clean your car.
The second option increases the interval to every 3500 miles. I was quoted a price of $670 for option 1 and I believe it was another $300 for option 2.

Personally, I work on and mod all of my own vehicles, and the 27 point inspection?...I can certainly perform that myself.

As far as oil changes go I always change my oil using synthetic religiously every 3500 miles. The cost to have this done at a dealership(even a BMW dealer) has never been more than $55 per visit. If you do the changes yourself the cost is probably $25-30 depending on filter costs and quantity of oil.

So considering the 3500 mile change interval my comparison has to be with option 2. Nine synthetic oil changes will cost you around $495 (@$55ea) to have someone else change it, or $270 for the DIY option.

So you really have to ask yourself if the tire/wheel rotation and 27 point inspection is worth the additonal $475 - 700.For me that answer was clearly "no way", particulary since I dont like other people working on, or even washing my cars.

For folks that are really hands-off mechanically perhaps its worth a look. For the rest, save your money for a new exhaust or something;-)

BTW - If you do perform your own maintenance, buy a specific maintenance log book for your vehicle and make sure that you keep a date/time log entry of everything you do to your car. Keep all receipts, logging tire air checks,IC spray fills,oilchanges, etc.... and use the Mitsubishi 27 point inspection guide and create your own check sheet with a date and initial space to formally record that you have performed that inspection.

This car is truly an engineering marvel, and will require more attention to maintenance and driving. This is my .02 on the pitpass deal and, for those that purchased it, not meant to bash anyone who decided to purchase the plan.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mark F

That's what I figured.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Fireball

He's right. There's like 0 profit in it. The dealer will make more money if you just walk in off the street and pay for your oil changes.
I'd sort-of alluded to this when I originally posted about the Pit-Pass way back when... Doesn't shock me at all. The hourly rate was something around $20/hour IIRC.

Thanks for letting me plant my butt in your Evo this morning BTW. Can't wait till my store has a few on the ground now.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 08:53 PM
choad

Needless to say, I got the pit pass..
Old Mar 16, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

I got it also!