Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the Evo easy to drive?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the Evo easy to drive?

I am thinking about buying an Evo IX as my daily driver. I currently drive an S2000 and i have no experience with turbo cars. I read that the Evo turbo kicks in at around 3000 rpm and i was wondering if that would make it hard to drive at moderate speeds in the city and peak traffic. Is this car easy to control in general? I have 2 years experience driving manual so would that we sufficient experience for me to drive this kind of car? I'd appreciate it if anyone can provide me with some insight.

Thanks guys!
Old Oct 26, 2005, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you'll get used to it...i learned how to drive stick in my evo...
Old Oct 26, 2005, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Talking

Originally Posted by sodaz
I am thinking about buying an Evo IX as my daily driver. I currently drive an S2000 and i have no experience with turbo cars. I read that the Evo turbo kicks in at around 3000 rpm and i was wondering if that would make it hard to drive at moderate speeds in the city and peak traffic. Is this car easy to control in general? I have 2 years experience driving manual so would that we sufficient experience for me to drive this kind of car? I'd appreciate it if anyone can provide me with some insight.

Thanks guys!
keep it around 2500rpm then ur ok. when i had my wrx( now my lil sister drives it) i never had it above 3k rpm in city driving so get an evo and give me ur s2000.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 01:41 AM

The Evo is very easy to drive. If you are coming from and S2k you will have no trouble at all. The clutch is very light, and the shifter is smooth but firm at the same time, providing good feedback. The engine is very nice and to me it doesnt feel that laggy even though the turbo doesnt spool till around 3k. The steering is wonderful, fast and precise. You will like it trust me
Old Oct 26, 2005, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Guyver
The Evo is very easy to drive. If you are coming from and S2k you will have no trouble at all. The clutch is very light, and the shifter is smooth but firm at the same time, providing good feedback. The engine is very nice and to me it doesnt feel that laggy even though the turbo doesnt spool till around 3k. The steering is wonderful, fast and precise. You will like it trust me

what he said
Old Oct 26, 2005, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

you will find that the engine keeps ITSELF around 2,500 rpm. You dont have to put much thought into it, but you will just notice that you're driving around in a little higher RPM than you're used to. It wont feel laggy, and it wont groggy for simple city driving.

Now if you try to slam on it and accelerate from 2,500 rpm only then will you notice some lag. But trust me, by 3,200 rpm you are MOVIN
Old Oct 26, 2005, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

i drive in heavy city traffic everyday, the evo does just fine.
the precise steering is one of the best features on the evo.
its def an upgrade from an s2000, and dont worry about the experience factor in driving this car. just take it slow and learn what it can do
btw keep your current s2000 stock antenna, its a nice mod to the evo.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 03:19 AM

whether or not the car is easy to drive depends on your level of driving ability and level of car control.

it's an easy car to drive at the speed limit. I know lots of dumb kids who crash Evo's because they push beyond their driving abilities, driving too fast on the street.

The Evo's quick steering is great; but a typical novice mistake is too over-correct if the car gets a little loose. Over-correcting with an Evo is a sure way to crash.

If you have never driven a car on an autocross course, never driven a car on a road course, never driven a car with more than 300hp, than yes, you should be a little concerned.

But if you are a responsible driver, and don't push the car hard you should be fine.

BTW: don't buy an Evo just so you can sit in heavy traffic, you can do that with a Honda Civic, it's a lot cheaper. Evo's are designed to be raced.

BTW#2: you drive a torqueless S2000 and you are worried about turbo lag? You are hilarious. An Evo has a much broader powerband than a S2000.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

With a backbone or two, yes... Go go go! (Counter-Strike style) lol.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

EVO is just as easy to drive as any other car according to ME. If not easier!
Old Oct 26, 2005, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

I found the S2000 is actually harder to drive on the limits than an EVO. The rear end on my S2000 gave me warning than the rear end of my evo.

The S feels pretty dead until vtech, even with s/c. It is somewhat similar with the evo until you hit 3000 rpm

Evo is much better in snow and has 4-doors

You will miss the top down action if you sell your S

The remark about S having low torque is retarded. It has been proven countless times that a stock evo vs stock S from 70 mph to say 140mph, the evo loses, with equal drivers.

A reflash or MBC takes care of that problem however.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

your question can be interpreted in different ways so here are my answers:

Interpretation 1. Is the Evo "streetable"? - Of course, the ride is more harsh than the S2000, but the MR feels a lot better on the streets. The quality is def bareable for the speed and handling that comes with the car.

Interpretation 2: Is the turbo hard to control? - The turbo isn't exactly an on/off switch once it hits a certain RPM...it's more of a percentage of throttle factor that tells the car when to kick in the turbo. That's why many of us can save fuel in any gear at any RPMs, we just don't give the full throttle to spool the turbo to the max...that said, it is pretty hard both mentally (you) and physically (the car) to not spool the turbo at all in a drive.

Interpretation 3: How's the clutch/drivetrain? - Excellent. The stock clutch grabs high and hard. The "sweet-spot" has a more "narrow" window than most cars. So this means, you'll be bumping the clutch a bit your first week driving the car.

Last edited by mdosu; Oct 26, 2005 at 04:57 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

i drive my evo in city traffic every day. like someone else already said the turbo isnt a lightswitch, its by throttle positition. compared to a s2000, we have a ton more torque so its a lot easier to drive in the city. granted it doesnt shift as buttery smooth as a honda, but its very direct and easy to use (evo is my first manual) you wont have a problem getting used to it. but get a sunroof cause odds are youre going to miss the convertible.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Ya..the evo is fairly simple to drive..with such great steering you'll be able to weave in and out of traffic MUCH better...I hope you have the s2k with white interior.eerr red?..i dont remember..cuz if u do...ill gladly let you give it to me
Old Oct 26, 2005, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mdosu
you'll be bumping the clutch a bit your first week driving the car.
what do you mean by that?

My evo was my first 5 speed car and i drove an 02 lancer es before it and it just took a little learning. I drive it calmly and just recently learned to shift around 3500 rpm without building boost to get an extra 50 or so miles out of a tank of gas. It's a really nice car they you can have a lot of fun in!

Quick Reply: Is the Evo easy to drive?