Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quick intro and basic q's.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick intro and basic q's.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have pretty much made up my mind on purchasing a new evo. I just got rid of my Prelude which was a huge mistake. Purchased it this last January and dumped about 5k worth of mods into it. Great handling car but just drove me nuts owning something with little power and zero torque. My previous list of cars include a 95 Mustang Cobra w/ a 347 stroker kit, 89 5.0 GT with a mildly built 302, 90 300zx twin turbo pushing over 450 horse, 01 R6, 03 GSXR1000, and then the Prelude. So as you can see it was a definite wake up call going from these cars to a lude. I would still have the Z if I hadn't loaned it to a friend who wasn't used to that much power. I like the fact that the evo is an AWD (read: MT winters) and with the right mods can make massive power. The downside is I have to drive 300+ miles to buy/warranty/etc. Pics are attached.

Anyways, I am going to have a lot of the parts purchased prior to picking it up. My goal is 350 awhp. Here is my list of mods. B@B or Bushur racing tbe w/ cat delete (about the only good thing about living in MT, lol), electronic boost control set at 21 psi, bushur racing ip w/ mini battery, 255 lph fuel pump (cheap insurance), and a reflash. My question is, does anyone know any GOOD tuning facilities in either Eastern MT or the Spokane WA area? I am also planning on putting in cams when they become available and then doing a dyno tune at that time. I will also add alky injection (we only have 91 octane here) when the new cams go in. Sorry for the long post.

Travis
Attached Thumbnails Quick intro and basic q's.-g.jpg   Quick intro and basic q's.-z.jpg   Quick intro and basic q's.-lude-side-angle.jpg  
Old Oct 26, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fast lane
Anyways, I am going to have a lot of the parts purchased prior to picking it up. My goal is 350 awhp. Here is my list of mods. B@B or Bushur racing tbe w/ cat delete (about the only good thing about living in MT, lol), electronic boost control set at 21 psi, bushur racing ip w/ mini battery, 255 lph fuel pump (cheap insurance), and a reflash. My question is, does anyone know any GOOD tuning facilities in either Eastern MT or the Spokane WA area? I am also planning on putting in cams when they become available and then doing a dyno tune at that time. I will also add alky injection (we only have 91 octane here) when the new cams go in. Sorry for the long post.
After the cams, boost raised to 24-25psi on alky, and a custom tune, you _may_ hit 350awhp. If it's an 05, you will hit it pretty easily, and if it's an 03/04, then it will still be achievable, just not as easily. If it's an 06 Evo IX, then all bets are off, since we don't know if those mods will be right or not, but making 350awhp doesn't appear as if it will be too difficult.

You're only missing a BOV to hold the increased boost while on alky, so I would recommend a JDM MR DV for $110...that is, unless you do a IX, which comes with this BOV standard. As for a tuning facility near you, did you mean Wester Montana? I figure Eastern Montana is quite a distance from Washington...
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am going with an evo IX with the SSL package. I would go with the MR but I am going to change the wheels anyway and I do a lot of highway driving so I figure the slightly taller gear ratio of the non MR couldn't hurt. We don't have any racetracks over here so the Ohlins suspension isn't a huge deal. I will probably put in a set of Teins with the edfc sometime next summer. I want an evo for a couple reasons. Since there is no dealer yet, I have only seen 1 other one, compared to the 4 or 5 Sti's running around. Not to mention the new STI is fugly. As for the blow off valve I will probably replace the stock one with an ATP? down the road. I meant Eastern MT as I know there are no tuners in the Western region. I would prefer the Spokane area but if there was a competent tuner over in Billings for example I would certainly head that direction.

I don't know a lot about the evo but I figured running cams and earlier mentioned mods without alky, on a proper tune should get close to that 350 mark, but I guess I could be wrong.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

That Prelude is beautiful! Nicely done.

I would also suggest you NOT let you friend that drove the Z drive your EVO.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Br350 :d
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fast lane
Thanks for the reply. I am going with an evo IX with the SSL package. I would go with the MR but I am going to change the wheels anyway and I do a lot of highway driving so I figure the slightly taller gear ratio of the non MR couldn't hurt. We don't have any racetracks over here so the Ohlins suspension isn't a huge deal. I will probably put in a set of Teins with the edfc sometime next summer. I want an evo for a couple reasons. Since there is no dealer yet, I have only seen 1 other one, compared to the 4 or 5 Sti's running around. Not to mention the new STI is fugly. As for the blow off valve I will probably replace the stock one with an ATP? down the road. I meant Eastern MT as I know there are no tuners in the Western region. I would prefer the Spokane area but if there was a competent tuner over in Billings for example I would certainly head that direction.

I don't know a lot about the evo but I figured running cams and earlier mentioned mods without alky, on a proper tune should get close to that 350 mark, but I guess I could be wrong.
Don't know if there is an ATP BOV, but you won't have any reason to upgrade the BOV on the IX, since it can hold up to 24-25psi without leaking. Replacing it would just be for looks, so keep that in mind.

Also, we don't even have cam upgrades for the IX yet. The mod path you described is for Evo VIIIs, not the IX. You will have to wait and see what happens as tuners are just now learning how to tune them. The results have been very positive, but no one has installed cams yet, at least not that I've read. Precision Tuning will be taking their IX out with MBC, TBE, EcuTek and meth this week I believe.

No, those mods with cams on 91oct would definitely not give you 350whp. You wouldn't even get 350 on 93oct, so I don't want you to have unreasonable expectations. With meth, 350 is definitely achievable, but like I said...since the IX is so new, your goal may end up being achievable on pump gas, but no previous USDM Evo was capable of such. You san see my power and my mods. Adding cams wouldn't get me to 350 even on my 05.

I didn't know the 5spd had taller gearing. Our 6th gear is taller than the 5th gear in the 5 speeds, though not by much. As for the IX, though, the gearing was changed, so you could be right. Just don't forget about the the 6th gear on the MR when it comes to highway cruising.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Br350 :d
That's 350 to the crank.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by dridge11
That Prelude is beautiful! Nicely done.

I would also suggest you NOT let you friend that drove the Z drive your EVO.
Thanks for the compliment. My goal on every vehicle has been to build something that stands out from the crowd but not look "ricerish".

He's not my friend anymore. After he wrecked it he left the scene of the accident and come to find out had a suspended drivers license. My insurance wouldn't cover it and I ended up paying off 4,000 on a totaled car. Can't get any money out of him as he has none to give. Lesson learned. I won't let anyone drive my car again, including my wife. Sorry honey.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
That's 350 to the crank.

Still a good start
Old May 29, 2006, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

hey man did you ever get that evo. I am in billings MT I see you got a bike we should hook up and take a ride down to Beartooth Pass.
Old May 29, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

some IX's are making 350awhp on 91 octance with basic mods, search the vishnu forum
Old May 29, 2006, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I thought I read a few times on here that 350 whp was nothing for the IX's- just doing the intake, exhaust and flash got you in that range??