Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hallman-vs-Forge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aux.
Thats really cool War thanks for all the information man ! Yeah i heard that all the problems that we have with our stock clutches so i didn't know if you found a method to feather it just right or what . Hey how is the pressure on the pedal with that Act clutch in?
Well, fwiw, I had more consistent and lower 60's on my stock clutch than on the ACT. I also had less power then, so what is happening is I am breaking the tires loose much more often than I used to, which is killing my launches. The ACT is grabbing harder, so it has become more difficult to duplicate high 1.6x/low 1.7x launches.

The pressure on the pedal is stiffer than stock, but I no longer noticed after a day or two of driving. It engages and shifts like stock as far as I'm concerned.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a hard part of increasing power is keeping it on the ground, but what kinda tires are you using ?? With that minimal of mods you shouldn't really be breaking the tires loose this soon should you ? I mean it sounds like that clutch has one hell-of-a grip but if your starting to spin shouldn't you buy new tires ?
Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know a hard part of increasing power is keeping it on the ground, but what kinda tires are you using ?? With that minimal of mods you shouldn't really be breaking the tires loose this soon should you ? I mean it sounds like that clutch has one hell-of-a grip but if your starting to spin shouldn't you buy new tires ?
No way. I have the stock Advans, and those are as sticky as it gets. They also cost about $250/ea, so I don't plan on purchasing anything else. These are great...

I'm making 330-340whp in race mode, which is plenty to break loose all 4 in cold weather (cold track/cold tires). I'm just going to have to start lowering my tire pressure, which is something I've been avoiding up until now.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking at making my first engine mod to be MBC. The only problem is , God there are so many of them. So, i do my seaching (before War pops off at the mouth like a jacka$$ once again) and the two most popular MBC's i have seen are Hallman ( excuse my spelling , i think it might be hallaman) and Forge. What are the differences between these two? Does one do better than the other or are they all the same ? There are generally inexpensive parts , but i would like to get a really good part instead of suffer the trials and tribulations of those of you who had to find out the hard way which was better.
forge came out when i was in the market for a MBC. but i still bought a Hallman PRO RX. Why? because it forge JUST came out. Let other people see how it really is in the longrun, ill stick to a tried and true proven model that has had all its kinks worked out. plus, as far as the ratcheting thing it sounds good, but atleast for the hallman you have to turn it several, several times to get the boost to 22psi, now i dont know how far apart the detents are but it sounds like you would be doing ALOT of counting.

my vote: Hallman Pro RX if you want no problems and a benchmarked part
get the Forge if you dont mind stuff that JUST hit the market and got endorsed right-away by an Evo demi-god tuner. i dont think you would be wrong either way its just how cautious you are.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr. SS
forge came out when i was in the market for a MBC. but i still bought a Hallman PRO RX. Why? because it forge JUST came out. Let other people see how it really is in the longrun, ill stick to a tried and true proven model that has had all its kinks worked out. plus, as far as the ratcheting thing it sounds good, but atleast for the hallman you have to turn it several, several times to get the boost to 22psi, now i dont know how far apart the detents are but it sounds like you would be doing ALOT of counting.

my vote: Hallman Pro RX if you want no problems and a benchmarked part
get the Forge if you dont mind stuff that JUST hit the market and got endorsed right-away by an Evo demi-god tuner. i dont think you would be wrong either way its just how cautious you are.
you do realize a boost controller is just a ball and spring mechanism correct? There aren't too many "kinks" to work out.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
you do realize a boost controller is just a ball and spring mechanism correct? There aren't too many "kinks" to work out.
yes i do realize, but even a ball and socket wont work right if its not engineer'd right.
im not tryint to say the forge is a buggy unit, im just saying i went with hallman because it had proven itself inthe evo community, where as forge was just starting to get applied. Being cautious is the way i am, and i just bought the hallman for my own personal peace of mind, again not saying that forge unit is inferior.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

I can fully understand and appreciate your reasons for doing what you did, but as a little background, we have been designing and manufacturing performance products for many years and this particular product has been in development and extensive testing for over 12 months itself.

We premiered the prototype units at SEMA last year and have been working out the "kinks" ourselves (on my car no less) since then.

We feel that our product is superior in every aspect to similar units on the market and we back it up with a LIFETIME warranty.

If the unit is not working properly, or you just don't like it even, we'll either repair it, replace it, or refund the total purchase price (minus shipping).

Hard to beat it with a stick, really!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

again dont overanalyze my reasons. its for personal peace of mind, it really is in my head. thus my choice for hallman.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I have spent less than $1k on my mods, so don't think that I have spent a lot of money in my pursuit of 11s.
It boggles the mind.