Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hallman-vs-Forge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hallman-vs-Forge

I have been looking at making my first engine mod to be MBC. The only problem is , God there are so many of them. So, i do my seaching (before War pops off at the mouth like a jacka$$ once again) and the two most popular MBC's i have seen are Hallman ( excuse my spelling , i think it might be hallaman) and Forge. What are the differences between these two? Does one do better than the other or are they all the same ? There are generally inexpensive parts , but i would like to get a really good part instead of suffer the trials and tribulations of those of you who had to find out the hard way which was better.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aux.
I have been looking at making my first engine mod to be MBC. The only problem is , God there are so many of them. So, i do my seaching (before War pops off at the mouth like a jacka$$ once again) and the two most popular MBC's i have seen are Hallman ( excuse my spelling , i think it might be hallaman) and Forge. What are the differences between these two? Does one do better than the other or are they all the same ? There are generally inexpensive parts , but i would like to get a really good part instead of suffer the trials and tribulations of those of you who had to find out the hard way which was better.
Imagine that. What you call being a "jackass" actually got you to do your homework and come to us with a legitimate question that shows you have done some of your own research but are now looking for more specific and detailed info. Funny how that works...

Both MBCs are spoken of highly, work wonderfully, and are inexpensive. The Hallman is much more common mainly because the Forge just recently hit the market. The main difference with the Forge UNOS is that it has a ratchet-style knob that clicks as you turn it. For those of us who have had MBCs for the last 7-8 years, we know how important that is. For newbies, it may not be as apparent before purchasing, since they haven't experienced it. What happens with a regular MBC is you don't really know how far you've turned the knob unless you have a mark on the knob as a frame of reference. Even then, you can never get it turned to the EXACT spot everytime. With the Forge, since it has clicks like a ratchet, you can keep count of how many clicks you've turned so that you always know where you are and how far you've gone.

There may be another aspect to the Forge in that it _may_ hold boost a bit better with less taper, but I'm not sure that has been proven. Al @ Dynoflash loves it and says it is a little better than the Hallman, but he still speaks highly of the Hallman as well.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm..

forge:
-ratchet style for turning
-silver or black
-a tad thicker than the hallman

hallman:
-it's red
-has capability of tuning inside car with the pro
-tad skinnier than forge

other than that nothing to my knowledge
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

My Hallman is black, fwiw.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

^ +1 it does seem to hold boost better
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Oh War you know i am just giving you $hit, like how i speling things wrong on purpiose just to get a rise outta ya . I also know you like ripping the $hit outta poor Noobs that just joined and might scare off someone who potentially needs a good amount of schooling about an important issue... but i digress. I think i would probably side with Al seeing how i like a more "exact" tune than a hit or miss "just spin it " kinda MBC. Other than the MBC i'm ordering a sterring column mounted boost gauge which i am sure i would need before i install the MBC (DUH!!!). But yes i have learned the importance behind searching which gave me a more profound understanding for the need of a MBC. Plus why would i need to have a remote to adjust the boost settings in the car ? Put it at 20 PSI and lett'er ride. My only concern is this being the only engine based mod i have, will this damage or hurt anything ? I want a TBE from Bushur , but we all know how expensive that can run.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:35 AM

Plus why would i need to have a remote to adjust the boost settings in the car ?
I don't really have a need for it myself either but I see the convenience of it in some cases.

My only concern is this being the only engine based mod i have, will this damage or hurt anything ? I want a TBE from Bushur , but we all know how expensive that can run.
A MBC in and of itself won't do anything to damage the engine. All you are doing it using something that holds boost more efficiently and reduces the boost taper you see as the engine approaches redline. Now, if you go cranking away and jack the boost up too high, u might have some problems.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Plus why would i need to have a remote to adjust the boost settings in the car ? Put it at 20 PSI and lett'er ride. My only concern is this being the only engine based mod i have, will this damage or hurt anything ? I want a TBE from Bushur , but we all know how expensive that can run.
Well, that begs a different a question. If you are not going to be changing your boost EVER, then why even bother with an MBC? You can just get a boost-controlling flash that has almost 0 taper whatsoever. I have an MBC, because I change it all the time, especially when at the track using race gas. Even though I change it a lot, I still didn't pay for the cockpit controller. If you don't plan on changing boost, then don't worry about the Hallman Pro RX and just compare the basic Hallman Pro (what I have). Then, decide whether or not you really need the MBC when you can just get it as part of a flash...

The Buschur TBE is not that expensive compared to most exhausts. You can also get a Megan or LPI 3" catless exhaust for $550-600 if price is an issue.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, i will play dumba$$ as always War. Why would you need to change your boost ? Wouldn't you always want it at full boost. I mean i understand if you have a turbo upgrade, but i am not that far yet . As for the cockpit control, i'll open the hood ! the price isn't worth the convience and i just don't see the need. I mean i know that once i install the part its good by warranty but , what the is use of having the car if its not really driven. Just need to be carefull when having fun and not have too much fun. What do you think War ( believe it or not i do listen to the more experienced advise) if you had to choose over again , what would it be F or H ?
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, i will play dumba$$ as always War. Why would you need to change your boost ? Wouldn't you always want it at full boost. I mean i understand if you have a turbo upgrade, but i am not that far yet . What do you think War ( believe it or not i do listen to the more experienced advise) if you had to choose over again , what would it be F or H ?
I change my boost according to weather conditions, according to octane, and according to the type of racing I'm doing. I try to run the most boost possible without causing knock, but even when daily driving on 93oct, that can change due to a bad batch of gas or extremely hot weather. The track changes speak for themselves...I use 100oct at the road course and run more boost than on the street, but not as much as at the drag strip.

I am very intrigued by the Forge, but I can't say for sure that I'd buy it if I had to choose again, because I haven't PHYSICALLY used one or seen one used. I tried to get a demo that I could try out and provide feedback on, but Forge wasn't interested in providing one to my sponsor, so I might never know first-hand. If it works as well as advertised, then I'd prefer the Forge due to the ratchet knob.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, i will play dumba$$ as always War. Why would you need to change your boost ? Wouldn't you always want it at full boost. I mean i understand if you have a turbo upgrade, but i am not that far yet . As for the cockpit control, i'll open the hood ! the price isn't worth the convience and i just don't see the need. I mean i know that once i install the part its good by warranty but , what the is use of having the car if its not really driven. Just need to be carefull when having fun and not have too much fun. What do you think War ( believe it or not i do listen to the more experienced advise) if you had to choose over again , what would it be F or H ?
Aux, Warr is giving you information no need to get mad. The information he gives is helpful.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dan2510
Aux, Warr is giving you information no need to get mad. The information he gives is helpful.
No worries - his response was not mean or angry. I think you just read it the wrong way...
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

So when driving on an everyday road doing whatever it is you do to be able to mod your car so well (druglord) what would you run your boost at and why ? Oh, and do you have a turbo upgrade ??

Oh and DAN, he's right me and War have a funny way of communicating. Thanks though.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

well if you get a flash you can adjust your boost,but how reliable is the boost if you do both you can not only keep the boost consistant but you can adjust to fit your every day driving to race at ease.One thing im not sure about do you need a boost gauge if you get a flash with boost adjustment?
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

If anyone has any specific questions, ask away!