Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo MR and SSL package question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Something must be wrong with yours. I was in my buddys 2003 EVO and the system was awful. Im impressed with mine (SSL 315 watt one)
I think it is definitely better then the base system, but could still use some improvement. The optional R/F system in the Eclipse is off the chain, and I have been spoiled by it. Even Endeavors hit harder.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Killboy
Yeah, you got extra weight too. Shoulda saved the money and bought a clue.

He SAID he was changing out everything the MR came with EXCEPT the 6 speed.

Read that last one repeatedly until it sinks through.

Good decision dadriva.
So he's ripping off the Aluminum roof too?

For some, including myself, it's easy to justify the extra $$ for the MR. The roof (inc. the vortex generator) and gearbox alone are enough to sell me. Plus it's not like thats the only thing you're getting. Who cares if you pull it out, you can still sell it.

SSL package... personally, I like to stay planted in my seat and not have my *** slide all over a leather seat whenever i take a turn at the track. Sunroofs just add weight. And the sound system sucks either way, the SSL stereo just sucks to a lesser degree.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDrift07
So he's ripping off the Aluminum roof too?

For some, including myself, it's easy to justify the extra $$ for the MR. The roof (inc. the vortex generator) and gearbox alone are enough to sell me. Plus it's not like thats the only thing you're getting. Who cares if you pull it out, you can still sell it.

SSL package... personally, I like to stay planted in my seat and not have my *** slide all over a leather seat whenever i take a turn at the track. Sunroofs just add weight. And the sound system sucks either way, the SSL stereo just sucks to a lesser degree.
You dont slide around in the leather seats. I would know. Also, they look 100x better than the cheaply desinged cloth ones and I some people enjoy sunroofs and use them a lot! (I know I do). Yes it adds weight but not enough for you to lose a race. Whats with people talking **** about the sound system, I think its great, especially compared to the 140watt one. I play my music at 35-40 with no distortion and it sounds awesome, no complaints and I wouldnt spend a dollar to upgrade it. I guess its personal opinion, but nonetheless, I think your standards are a little too high, maybe you should be in a Lexus LS?

Im not trying to be offensive. I guess we just see things differntly. Personally, I thought the MR was a huge waste of money! You differ greatly!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Luckily, for those of us who DID get MRs, we got more than just a 6spd for the extra cost...
I supppose I need to clarify from my original post. I opted for an '05 SSL because I wanted a "nice" sports car (let the flaming begin) I wanted leather and a sunroof. I don't really care about the stereo.

I was planning on changing out everything that the MR offered anyways (remember I said I WANTED a sunroof, so changing the roof out is not an option )

I put Tein Flex coilovers, Work wheels, and even a "vortex thingy" among other things I wanted to do. So, in essence all I would really be left with is a 6 speed and no leather or sunroof. It makes perfect sense to me.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

You dont slide around in the leather seats. I would know. Also, they look 100x better than the cheaply desinged cloth ones and I some people enjoy sunroofs and use them a lot! (I know I do). Yes it adds weight but not enough for you to lose a race. Whats with people talking **** about the sound system, I think its great, especially compared to the 140watt one. I play my music at 35-40 with no distortion and it sounds awesome, no complaints and I wouldnt spend a dollar to upgrade it. I guess its personal opinion, but nonetheless, I think your standards are a little too high, maybe you should be in a Lexus LS?

Im not trying to be offensive. I guess we just see things differntly. Personally, I thought the MR was a huge waste of money! You differ greatly!
I agree. I have the SSL, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It gives the interior a significantly classier look and feel. The upgraded sound system is more than sufficient, the sunroof is great, and the leather seats are comfortable and striking-looking. In my opinion, the SSL package is more appropriate for a car of this price. If I had to shoose between an MR and a GSR with SSL, I'd pick the latter every time without hesitation.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dadriva
I supppose I need to clarify from my original post. I opted for an '05 SSL because I wanted a "nice" sports car (let the flaming begin) I wanted leather and a sunroof. I don't really care about the stereo.

I was planning on changing out everything that the MR offered anyways (remember I said I WANTED a sunroof, so changing the roof out is not an option )

I put Tein Flex coilovers, Work wheels, and even a "vortex thingy" among other things I wanted to do. So, in essence all I would really be left with is a 6 speed and no leather or sunroof. It makes perfect sense to me.
I love the new IX MR seats, way more than leather. Not freezing cold in the winter, not hot as hell in the summer. Alcantara has a nice soft feel too. Just my personal preference of course.

On the six speed comment, everyone always says thats the only real difference, but no one ever talks about how expensive it would be to swap in a six speed for the five. I can't imagine thats very cheap and not labor intensive. I'm only looking at that purely for comparison. I realize some people out there WANT the five speed, but if you are going to compare the money cost of an Evo vs. an Evo MR, you've got to factor in everything.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
I agree. I have the SSL, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It gives the interior a significantly classier look and feel. The upgraded sound system is more than sufficient, the sunroof is great, and the leather seats are comfortable and striking-looking. In my opinion, the SSL package is more appropriate for a car of this price. If I had to shoose between an MR and a GSR with SSL, I'd pick the latter every time without hesitation.
100% my thinking. The cloth interior just looks so cheap when you compare it to the leather interior, and it feels great!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

^^Kinetic, I totally agree with you. And, at the time I bought my car the 06's were not out. I was basing my decision purely on 05's.

You are right though, Alcantra is the way to go!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

I will say, the Alcantra is quite nice and Id much rather have that than the cloth interior that came in the 03-05s. It just looks cheesey/cheap.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:34 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I don't think it's even possible to PUT a roof into an MR. The aluminum roof requires steel support beams that run across the roof, that the aluminum panel is glued too.

I do not think you can cut through them without causing major problems. Probably the single most reason they don't offer a sunroof in an MR.

All the rest is easy.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
I don't think it's even possible to PUT a roof into an MR. The aluminum roof requires steel support beams that run across the roof, that the aluminum panel is glued too.

I do not think you can cut through them without causing major problems. Probably the single most reason they don't offer a sunroof in an MR.

All the rest is easy.
Agreed on the whole roof thing.

I understand the Evo's rally heritage....etc... blah blah blah...

But what about offering an MR with a SSL package.....well all but the sunroof. Instead of buying a $36-38,xxx car and then bastardizing in into what Mitsu should have offered in the first place.

It is all kind of a moot point with the 06's out now though.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

But what about offering an MR with a SSL package.....well all but the sunroof. Instead of buying a $36-38,xxx car and then bastardizing in into what Mitsu should have offered in the first place.

Well I think the MR is for more hardcore enthusaists who want that slight extra performance (handling/ride quality/6spd). Im sure some people would like the SSL option on the MR.

What I think would be best, is that if friggen Mitsubishi offered all the SSL options SEPARATELY. So you could get leather in your MR but no sunroof. Even get the GSR with just HIDS and the sound sytem or something.

They had to make it difficult with the "all or nothing" package.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Now we're talkin' "Options A LA CARTE"

You could be getting paid big $$$ to be coming up with ideas like that.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 05:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

So, what, you'd get leather seats and a average upgraded stereo system?

Have you SEEN THE NEW SEATS?! My god, I'd take them over leather in a HEARTBEAT!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Well I think the MR is for more hardcore enthusaists who want that slight extra performance (handling/ride quality/6spd). Im sure some people would like the SSL option on the MR.
Err, I would consider the RS the car for hardcore enthusaists. The aluminum roof is really the only neat thing about the MR for me (which can be found on the RS). I wouldn't want a 6spd on a track (road course) or really in a turbo car in general and I changed out my seats anyways because I am too damned skinny for the stock seats. I don't really know why people care one way or the other, I would never use the stock seats for real racing, they just dont offer enough support.

The MR IS a great stock class car; one of the best.

Quick Reply: Evo MR and SSL package question