Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cheap helmets? for drag?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy a bell helmet off ebay for like 20$ new
Old Oct 28, 2005, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

i might just go ahead and spend the 300 i saw over at soloracer...snell approved and not that expensive. but thx for all the help guys!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
I woudn't use a cheap helmet. You want it to protect you in case you're involved in a serious crash. You also want a good quality helmet so it will stay together for many years of usage. I've had my Simpson Snell 90 since 1990. NHRA says that it will expire this year. I've used it for 15 years of drag racing. I paid 300.00 for it and I think I got my moneys worth. Here's a link to Jegs for some of Simpsons more inexpensive helmets: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=27291. I'll be out this next weekend at Fontana for some more runs.

I dunno about car helmets but for motorcycle heltmets you should only keep them for 3-5 years. After that they start to breakdown and newer technology will protect you better. Your helmet may hurt you even more. I would never use a 15 year old or even 5 year old helmet on my bike. (but then again you are in a car and if it is just to pass inspection then go ahead)

Get a $100 snell or even DOT rated helmet in a motorcycle shop, something like KBC. Sometimes they are less then that. Some differences between motorcycle and car helmets is the field of view, it is more in a motorcycle helmet. Also I believe car helmets also have fire protection, motorcycle helmets dont.

The most expensive helmet is not necessaruly the best, common newb mistake. for protection, get a helmet that fits you well, meaning it is tight enough that your skin moves when you rotate it on your head, but the same time not uncomfortable. Also if you think you are a large in a store, try the medium, if it fits, get that instead, remember they get slightly loose after several uses.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

another note, if your getting the helmet for safety, as opposed to just passing inspection, never use a helmet that has been dropped

football helmets are designed to take multiple impacts and still protect you. car and motor bike helmets are single use only, even a 3 foot drop on concrete can permanently damage the internals of the helmet
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you crash your Evo on the drag strip you deserve to die.

Unless you're like sub 10s or something.

That was wrong to say wasn't it?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

i got some no name brand one from a local motorcycle shop on sale for $50. it is open faced, and i have used it 3-4 times at drag/autocross competitions. it was on sale because it was ultra big (XXXL) and it was last years model, and it was plain white. it is snell approved, and fits great. just stop by a shop and see what they have, the place i bought mine probably had close to 2k helmets on hand. i am sure you could find one in your price range. or just borrown one from somebody with a bike. on the other hand i was at walmart the other day, and they had bell helmets for like $40. i doubt they were snell approved, but i have never had mine checked.