Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

cheap helmets? for drag?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheap helmets? for drag?

hey guys, im prolly going to the track sometime next week to see how i do for the first time EVER. and i reading the rules they had online for drag racing and they said i needed a helmet. does anyone know where i can get a good cheap helmet? ive been looking and the cheapest i have found so far is 400 online. can someone please chime in? if they can find it cheaper and what would suit my needs thx! i'll most likely be using the helmet for drag, autox, and maybe eventually road racing.

thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

If you don't want to buy one, I'm sure the track will rent you one. If not someone might even let you borrow their helmet if you're on the track when they aren't.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

I got my helmet off denniskirk.com for $40 completly approved.
look for their clearance items very good deals.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:18 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

http://www.denniskirk.com/

The cheapest I saw there was 35 bucks. Doubt it's Snell approved just in case the track requires that.

You can stop at any motorcycle dealer and find a helmet a lot cheaper than $400.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to Lebanon Valley Cycle and got mine for 80 bucks.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I woudn't use a cheap helmet. You want it to protect you in case you're involved in a serious crash. You also want a good quality helmet so it will stay together for many years of usage. I've had my Simpson Snell 90 since 1990. NHRA says that it will expire this year. I've used it for 15 years of drag racing. I paid 300.00 for it and I think I got my moneys worth. Here's a link to Jegs for some of Simpsons more inexpensive helmets: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=27291. I'll be out this next weekend at Fontana for some more runs.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

damn really ok..well ill have to decide..cause the snell is very expensivo..i might actually end up paying for that...do the tracks really check the helmets though? or no? cause i might just get a cheap one for now..and then invest in the next couple months.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Buying a used helmet is like buying used underwear.

Don't jeopardize your safety.

Check out some local motorcycle shops.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sirloin1219
damn really ok..well ill have to decide..cause the snell is very expensivo..i might actually end up paying for that...do the tracks really check the helmets though? or no? cause i might just get a cheap one for now..and then invest in the next couple months.
Your're helmet has to be Snell approved, the track official will check your're helmet for it.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

If the helmet is gonna protect your head in a crash it's probably a no-brainer you'd want the best protection that money can buy. I don't think this is an area where going cheap would be worth it. Just my 2¢
Old Oct 28, 2005, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, it cracks me up when people want to save a couple of bucks when it comes to their safety. That helmet is their to possibly save your life and it isn't worth it to find out if the cheap helmet will work in an event of a crash .
Old Oct 28, 2005, 07:56 AM
CDO
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTio
Yeah, it cracks me up when people want to save a couple of bucks when it comes to their safety. That helmet is their to possibly save your life and it isn't worth it to find out if the cheap helmet will work in an event of a crash .
I agree, but if you think about it, I'll bet everybody on this forum has accelerated as fast as possible and for a longer distance than a 1/4 mile out on some highway without any helmet protection at all. LOL
Old Oct 28, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, I want a cheap helmet because I'm gonna be doing autocross at speeds much lower than someone at a drag strip. Also with an empty parking lot, I'd be hard pressed to find something to hit but I'd need some sort of head protection so cheap is good. Also, I might not do it for long so I'm not sure a $300-400 investment would be a good use of funds.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As the adage goes, "Buy a cheap helmet if you have a cheap head."

Don't buy a cheap helmet. Buy a _good_ helmet that is within your price range. Cars can still hit things or flip over at autocross. A tire failing at 1/4 trap speeds can cause a horrific accident. Motor racing is calculated risk so use good safety equipment. Buy a good helmet and take care it of it. Remember that helmets are only good for one use -- one crash. If you drop it while putting it on, that's it, it's used.

/rant mode off

http://www.soloracer.com/helmets.html

d
Old Oct 28, 2005, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

try apexperformance.net! they have very good deals on helmets.

Quick Reply: cheap helmets? for drag?