Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Instrument cluster lights dimming?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005 | 07:15 PM

Instrument cluster lights dimming?

Has anyone else had problems with the lights in the instrument cluster. Recently, the lighting under the the fuel gauge and oil gauge went off for a few moments before reappearing. The left side of the gauge stays lit in a normal manner, but the right side appeared to turn off, and then turn back on. Any suggestions since the way it is acting, it can't be a bulb.
Old Nov 1, 2005 | 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

How do you know it's not a bulb? I did the bolsen write-up on making my lights more bright and red instead of the stock faded red. My cluster is extremely bright and very easy to see now. Try doing a search for all the topics posted by Bolsen and it should come up...
Old Nov 1, 2005 | 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=98158

Enjoy
Old Nov 1, 2005 | 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

It may be a bulb indeed. It may have come loose (they are twisted in) and that's why you are getting sporadic light output. You probably should just pull out the cluster and give the bulb a twist to make sure. Otherwise, if you want to replace your bulbs, give this website a gander. You can order a full gauge cluster LED bulb replacement kit which changes the gauge cluster bulbs to actual red LEDs not colored incandescent bulbs. They last much longer and use less power are a pure, bright red. Lightrikz
Old Nov 1, 2005 | 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

I'm having the same problem, my speedometer and half of my tach light up fine, but everything else is dark. I was going to check the bulbs to see if that fixes it.
Old Nov 1, 2005 | 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

It sounds just like high resistance, if you have a DMM, measure the resistance, and compare... High resistance=dim lights 90% of time. If the flow doesnt pass through a load, and goes directly to ground this will occur.