Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Evo IX boosting over 20PSI is this correct???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Evo IX boosting over 20PSI is this correct???

Hello all...I need some comments, advice, thoughts, etc etc etc...

I bought an Evo IX still breaking her in (no other mods), anyways it has about 400 miles. I just installed a Defi Amber Imperial boost gauge. Install went great. I tapped into the FPR line as most of the threads suggested....ANYWAYS...

I have two questions. I am boosting over 20psi, I think my peak was about 22 psi. Now this was in 3rd/4th gear keeping under 5000rpm (due to break in period) when I hit about 22psi....is this normal?

I know most people say it should only go to 19psi..for more info, it's about 22-33 degrees here in Anchorage, AK...maybe this can be a reason? Also, I just re-plugged the battery.

2nd question is when at Idle the boost gauge needle hovers a little, not much but it does hover a little (like the needle goes up and down). Is this normal or should it stay steady?

Thanks guys...yes I am a noobie...haha I'll do more searching, but found a little info from what I have searched, plus I drive a IX, don't know if this makes a difference.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:11 PM

can't help you out much, but I know that in colder weather if you have an MBC you need to turn it down because you dont' need as much, beacuase of he cooler air.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know about the IX, but the '05s peak at 20.5 psi stock. In cold weather, I have seen higher than 19.5 briefly on my '03 in stock trim.

With a MBC, settings that peak at 19 psi at 60 degrees will hit 22 psi at 20 degrees. Hello, fuel cut!

If you are stock, and briefly see over 20.5 psi in cold weather, settling down to 17 or 18 at redline, I'd say everything is OK.

Every car I've had with a vacuum gauge (about 5, unless I've forgotten one) hunts a little at idle; the reading varies with engine speed and as the computer (or in the old days, vacuum leaks!) varies the air going through the throttle. It may read 15 inches some days, 30 others, but it always varies at idle.

Get some 272s, and it will go down a lot, and vary even more!

Last edited by rburris28; Nov 2, 2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:20 PM

I have the same defi gauges. My aem mainfold pressure senor does read about 2 psi less then the defi gauge. So when the gauge reads 20 it is 18.

hope this will help
Old Nov 2, 2005, 06:23 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

From my own experience, Defi gauges tend to be HIGHER than actual boost.

Roughly 0.1+ bar higher after the reading goes over 1bar.

Or about 2psi higher after reading is over 15psi or so.

No offense but till this day I still don't understand why Defi hasn't addressed this problem.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hey ya'll I appreciate the feed back! The comments help! It just sort of sucks to not really know what my actual PSI/boost reading is, if indeed Defi gauges read over a psi or two over the actual reading.

More comments/ feed back is welcomed!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The IX's definitely boost higher than 05's. I saw the tech spec sheets myself, that my friend had showed to me and it showed a peak boost of 21-22 psi, droping off to 19-18. Hope that helps
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:22 AM

if im not mistaken the EVO IX comes with a 10.4cm compressor housing and with the dual solenoid wastegate from the EVO VIII MR. I think i'm not sure, so if thats the case I think it does run a bit more boost than the EVO VIII's. Don't know much about them but at least i'm trying to help. I do know for a fact that my friends EVO VIII stock spiked 19Psi and dropped off to 16 at redline, and this was bone stock.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

Its normal. When my 05 was stock I spiked all the way to 1.54 bar (22.3 psi) on cold nights.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The IX's come stock with the "MR DV." I think that would help also in allowing the boost to be that high.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
The IX's definitely boost higher than 05's. I saw the tech spec sheets myself, that my friend had showed to me and it showed a peak boost of 21-22 psi, droping off to 19-18. Hope that helps
This info if accurate is good to know...actually this is what my car does peak at 21-22 then drops off at 19-18...well not consistantly. I'm also considering the fact of it spiking cause of cold weather. It's hard to compare to local members cause there isn't any other IX owners at this point anyways...thanks for the info!
Old Nov 3, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evodrifter
The IX's come stock with the "MR DV." I think that would help also in allowing the boost to be that high.
Not doubting you at all, but can someone else confirm that the IX's have the MR DV stock???

Reason being is after reading some threads most members suggested this BOV as being one of the best...

Thanks again guys/gals!
Old Nov 3, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dakind916
Not doubting you at all, but can someone else confirm that the IX's have the MR DV stock???

Reason being is after reading some threads most members suggested this BOV as being one of the best...

Thanks again guys/gals!

Yes the 9 comes with the MR DV stock, kind of wish it didnt casue I wanted to get a semi VTA BOV for sound reasons but really cannot justify it since the current BOV is good enough.

I always wanted a turbo car, this is my first and I cant add the distinctive turbo sound - sigh-
Old Nov 3, 2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Not sure which is corrrect but this is a bit conflicting with this post by Precision Dyno which claims the IX peaks at 19 psi and tapers to 14 from the factory:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...cision+dyno+IX

They got quite a bit of gain when they upped it to 23 psi.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

evo 9 boost = 20.5.....your boost guage is not reading the absolute value, because of differnt varibles......you would need something like the aem

Quick Reply: New Evo IX boosting over 20PSI is this correct???