Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo is a P.O.S.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All i can say is that i did not get the 03 for reasons of reading about problems during testing. Waited for the 04 and the only prob I had was at the strip with the syncro and they did not even change them. They changed the oil and that was all!
If you think we have problems check out the Nissan line with electrical, rattles and and and+++
Mitsu is well known for making POS and the evo is no different, so we should all know that and for what the car cost and the performance it delivers I think we can fix the simple problems an move on. All the rattles, clunks, oil leaks, shift problems, check eng. light, codes etc. we all know how to get by them even better than the dealership and life goes on.
This is why Evom and other sites prove to be so helpful and if they (Mitsu) reads them we would have a better car.....................
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

With all do respect Al... You have the $$$ to replace and/or built a stronger car. If I had the cash to buy everything w/o going into debt I would've kept my Evo.

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I can only say that my Evo has met and surpassed every expectation that i had of it and with 22,000 miles of the worst sort of abusive insane conditions its still flying high !
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
My car is stock with stuck CLUTCH, so i do know how to drive compare to 90% of you!
Maybe your stuck clutch has something to do with it.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

I can only say that my Evo has met and surpassed every expectation that i had of it and with 22,000 miles of the worst sort of abusive insane conditions its still flying high !
Respect your opinion Al, but your car don't have stock TC, RD, nor Trany, wich are the weak parts of the Evo.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Maybe your stuck clutch has something to do with it.
Good point, and you might be right! I have an appointment with the Rep next week. Will see!
I think its my trany though.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go buy some cam gears! fix ur problem lol if u want to spend some doe!!!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Blonde couldn't have said it better. It's just a car.

Originally Posted by 03EvolutionVIII
What you thinking of getting the Porsche or the ZO6? BTW: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=167692
Had a few Porsches in my time and may get another but the Z06 is looking mighty damn tasty.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Al, you've rebuilt or replaced practically every part of your EVO!!! Sure it runs great and it's fast a $hit, but if it's not a money pit and practically a mechanics' full time project the Yugo was a durable car.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:31 PM
Account Disabled

Respect your opinion Al, but your car don't have stock TC, RD, nor Trany, wich are the weak parts of the Evo.
Actually - until very recently i used the original rear, trans and F diff

The only weak link I found was the rear half shafts
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:41 PM

Ive owned tons of AWD DSM's, and recently bought my first EVO. Ive only been able to drive it once, about 50 miles, in the three weeks Ive owned it. Its sitting in the garage now, leaking oil like a siv from the Xfer case, Tranny junction. Its no different from my other DSM's. Lots of maintenance, and a lot of attention required, but after almost 10 years of owning one, I wouldnt have it any other way. I knew it going in, and expected it. The amount of time and care put into one seperates the men from the ricers, and sometimes even pays off at the track. No warranty work, here. They screw up more than they ever fix. Get a FSM, read and do the work yourself.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

^i wish i had the time in the day or skill to learn how to change out my syncros.

Originally Posted by blonde
i agree that his post is not smart at all because he is generlizing based on his personal experience. i also agree that he has no right to tell you that you made a bad decision or that your car is going to break. however, i do think that getting all emotional over a stranger's comment is pointless. i don't know the guy and i couldn't care less what he says about my date (or my car for this matter). also, my comments about the blind love are just my way of expressing my frustration with some of the kids on this site, i understand brand loyalty very well (been a subaru fan since 94)
i agree, i didn't read your posts that way. thx for putting up with us. i have no idea what's like to have to read 1000s of threads about bov and intakes and how no car can beat the evo, well maybe i have an inkling. lol.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:24 PM

It's true that most of the evo owners here seem a little overly obsessive with the image of the evo and not allowing anyone to even say some valid issues with it, but the main problem I see with this specific topic is F&I-EVO.

He doesn't listen to what others have posted, the statements that were true at least...but the fact that it was used is a major issue with its future reliability. 6k miles out of 24 or whatever is a lot of mileage considering a huge amount of damage could easily be done in 1 mile if the drivers intent was to damage it. Also his generalizations are mainly only based on his own experience and although his car may of been a pos that doesnt mean that all evos are, which is what he has been stating constantly. As often as people say it and as annoying as it gets when its said, he probably did pick the wrong car. The evo is reliable in its own right and shouldnt be considered to cars in general, you can't compare the reliability of a ferrari to a camry(extreme exaggeration but it works). Most evos have shown their reliability and although it may not be the greatest and most perfect car ever, it does have some abilities that most cars in its price range can come close to.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

03 with 24k miles, I have a rattle that stupid Mitsu don't know what it is, or can not fix. I had my 5th gear syncros fixed 1 week ago, now my 4th gear syncro grinding! My car feels slower every day (since mitsu replaced the 5th syncro).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THE CAR, but hearing about all the problems we have with the Evo, im convinced the is a POS!

I have never owned a car with this many problems at only 24k miles!

Stock clutch, so NO i don't abuse it that much!!!

IM FUSTRATED!!!!
sell it get a toyota.. You shoudnt have any problems then.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 10:24 PM

I got an '03 EVO with only 19000 miles.. my engine started to idle so loudly and my idle was so low.. under 800rpm.. the engine light came on. I took it to the dealers and they said its nothing, only a electronic malfunction to my ECU. They reflashed my ECU and then its still went back to the same symptoms. I took it back again, they said this time that i needed a new ECU worth 2000$ luckily i had warranty still. How is replacing an ECU only minor..

but yeah I almost was going to look into the lemon laws if it was still messed up.

I feel your pain haha.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerzEvo
I got an '03 EVO with only 19000 miles.. my engine started to idle so loudly and my idle was so low.. under 800rpm.. the engine light came on. I took it to the dealers and they said its nothing, only a electronic malfunction to my ECU. They reflashed my ECU and then its still went back to the same symptoms. I took it back again, they said this time that i needed a new ECU worth 2000$ luckily i had warranty still. How is replacing an ECU only minor..

but yeah I almost was going to look into the lemon laws if it was still messed up.

I feel your pain haha.
Defective ECU is cover under emmission, therefore they must cover it.

Quick Reply: My Evo is a P.O.S.