Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Passport 8500

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport 8500

What kind of RADAR will you guys recommend? I heard Passport X50 is good...
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:43 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

You will hear both Passport 8500 and Valentine V1. Both are quality units.

You will find a lot of information on both including mounting suggestions with a quick search.

Good luck
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:45 PM

How much are those?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Both i'd get a Passport 8500 simply because I cannot justify paying ~$400 for a radar detector, especially one that looks like a brick.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

edit

Last edited by deffro; Nov 2, 2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Valentine 1 all the way. Who cares what it looks like, It works. The software in it is upgradeable, and it tends to rate better than the 8500 (which is not much cheaper)
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

I have the Beltronics RX65 and it was rated #1. http://www.radarbusters.com/products...rs/default.asp

Radar Test Link: http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...ts/default.asp
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Both i'd get a Passport 8500 simply because I cannot justify paying ~$400 for a radar detector, especially one that looks like a brick.

sup Kunal.. im Krunal. Are u a Patel?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

well, I've owned all of the Big 3 X50, RX-65, now the V1. I consider myself a geek / radar enthusiast and can tell you that the V1 blows the other 2 out of the water.

I'm also a member of the Guys of Lidar and at our last test the V1 walked away the champion.

check out our forum radardetector.net for more info its run by Radar Roy himself!

or the GOL www.guysoflidar.com for our test results.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03EvolutionVIII
I have an RX65 as well and it works like a charm. Thing freaks out and gives me ample warning around where I live for any radar I may be approaching. Saved me from two tickets in my new car already. You'll learn where all the usual radar spots are around your area, and whenever the detector goes off somewhere out of the ordinary, get on those Brembos quickly!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 09:33 PM

I have a solo 2 and love it. Don't drive without it.

Originally Posted by wei210wei
What kind of RADAR will you guys recommend? I heard Passport X50 is good...
Old Nov 3, 2005, 07:30 AM
Pd1
Evolved Member

I used to have the Solo 2 as well. It's basically an 8500 that runs on batteries and has a neat auto-off feature, when it's been idle for a while, to save battery life. This unit is also very portable. I found out just how portable it is when mine was stolen out of my 2G Spyder (top was up) while I was in a movie theater. So....I went to the opposite of portable -- remote. Passport SRX. I did a LOT of research on this, and decided that this was the best that money could buy. To explain my reasoning, I'll post what I wrote in another thread..

Originally Posted by Pd1
The obvious solution to this problem is to slow down on public roads.

Since I'm not so good at this myself, I invested in the Passport SRX remote radar detector. (www.passportsr1.com/srx.htm) <-- The best $ can buy, IMHO.

You mentioned that your "radar detector" never went off, and yet the cop showed you the gun. Perhaps he was using laser, or instant-on radar. Both of these are harder to detect, and extremely hard to detect with a conventional windshield/cabin-mounted unit. For instance, if he zapped you from behind with laser, chances are that your cabin-mounted unit didn't even know what was happening because the laser signal never even made it inside the car -- it just bounced off of the rear (license plate most likely) and back to his gun. The same can happen on the front of the car. Instant-on radar is easier to detect, but it comes on at the very last minute and you would have probably picked up a signal; albeit too late. So how on earth are you supposed to detect radar/laser whenever you are hit? One way is to have sensors mounted on the front and rear of the car...where the guns are most likely to aim. The ValentineOne crowd will argue till they're blue in the face that they can detect just as well from within the cabin -- they're wrong. It's just plain physics. A unit can't detect a signal it doesn't receive.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Sorry to hear about your ticket.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have x800 took trip to VT and it caught every speed trap over hills and around turns and it gives you early warning and even when you go through the tolls it pics up the LASER or LIDAR so for $300 I think this will do it... the Valentine is to big...
Old Nov 4, 2005, 03:56 PM

the passport8500 and the valentine1 both have its ups and downs...8500 give u frequency so u know if its a false alarm or not...the v1 give u arrows so u know what direction it is coming from...there are numerous arguments of which is best but u really cant go bad with either one u buy...n the passport is a lil cheaper (money wise) but not necessarily worse

heres an article about radar if u wanna do more research
http://motortrend.com/features/consu...ide/index.html
Old Nov 4, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deffro
Valentine 1 all the way. Who cares what it looks like, It works. The software in it is upgradeable, and it tends to rate better than the 8500 (which is not much cheaper)

I have had a Valentine 1 for a few years now and wont drive without it. Best ever, My wife, mom, uncle and grandparents all have one. AWESOME

Quick Reply: Passport 8500