Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

just got in a car accident

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what you do is make an insurance claim, tell insurance that you will take it to your own shop to fix the car so they will send you a check for the repair amount. then you buy the parts used and fix it your self.

the scariest part about the suspension is that if you have bent the suspension cradle. our cars don't have castor adjustment, so if you see the wheels moved back, then it might be the control arm (easy fix) or suspension cradle. you also might of bent the anti-roll bar.
look at the end of the control arms, and see if there is any damage there.

this is what i would say for the parts all used
R Heatlight.... $250 without HID
evo 8 bumper $400
hood (if needed) $400
right fender $350 this part is HARD to find used
oil pan $100
control arm $100 or suspension cradle $300
wheels $150 a rim
roll bar $100

i dont see how thats going to be any where between 8k, 10k or 15k. i have experience in this because i bought a crashed car and fixed my self.
good luck
Old Nov 6, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by el producto
lets see some pics...would be a nice background on my desktop

But that totally sucks if you just got an 05. sounds like its totalled. Airbags deploy?
If they did I'd really like to see some pics of the interior with both air bags out.

right headlight, $500$?
front 9 bumper,,grills, suchs, $600+?
right fender, $300?
oil pain,......
suspension? alightment? anything else that needs to be considered?
wheels, $2000+?

$3500+ labor all a guess tho..
Why would a wrecked EVO be a nice background?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

i would claim the insurance but dang...it's under my parents and i dont want their insurance to go up..yeah I guess that i was kinda crazy doing 65-70 in the corner...i think if i want to claim insurance then i must have a police report? if i want a police report then dont you guys think it's too late? it happned last night and I didn't call them....so I guess is there any better way of solving this problem?.....i'll get the pics soon.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

insurance will go up
you dont need a police report
its not too late to file a police report.
if you got some tools, do it your self

ohh and i forgot
paint of bumper, hood and fender $500
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Uhhhh... you need to contact insurance asap...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

i guess this going to be a tough time..
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

That sucks, in most states you need a police report only if its over 5K in damage. Atleast call the police station and find out.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

If you do need a police report, your insurance company will tell you, and you just do it...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:31 PM

I work in the collision industry and my advice yo you is to go through insurance. There are dimensions that need to be restored to factory spec to ensure proper alignment. Also if anything is seriously bent you will need a frame rack or a pulling tower capable of producing a few thousand pounds of force. Unless you have acces to the proper tools and are skilled in their use, I would find the nearest REPUTABLE body shop. Also, in my experience, dealership body shops are good to stay away from. This is not to say that all are bad, but I have not dealt with any that are good. Insurance companies will go up to 75-80% of the value of the car to fix it. As for your parents, offer to pay whatever the increase is or go on your own insurance. Sorry for your loss too man, I just lost my first new car this past August.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

I thought insurance declared total at 60% of car expense to fix it. Anything over and it is declared totaled; not 75-80%...
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HeoEvo
today went to a friend house for a birthday party after left his house got in a car accident..i didn't see it wasn't a straight line..when i relized that there was a turn then I know I am in deep ****...i ran over the curb and hit a tree maybe it was raining and the road was wet. it was about 65-75mph in the middle of 3rd gear..i did brake but the car kept sliding until it hit a tree.luckily i didn't hit anyone or any cars.. I bent the wheels,,broke the right fender and headlight,busted oil pan and when I tried to push the car back to the house the rear wheels didn't spin..I think the back wheels got locked or something..maybe my FMIC is also got fcked up

I wonder how much for it to be fixxed? oh yeah I want to upgrade front bumper to evo 9 also so now it's the time but what about the alignment and suspension and stuffs? how hard are they...this is going to be a pain in the a$$.

how much for?
right headlight,
front 9 bumper,,grills, suchs,
right fender,
oil pain,
suspension? alightment? anything else that needs to be considered?
wheels,
what else do you think I should be re-considerred before to have the car on the road again..maybe it will be a long time. winter is coming so i might store the car in the garage. then start from that on..

I just want to know what you were doing in 3rd gear at 65mph, where you trying to correct and shifted down?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:38 PM

It might vary by area of the country, but typically in our shop it is 75% and sometimes 80% on brand new cars.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Insurance can do what ever they want. They are going to do what ever makes sense financially. If it is cheaper for them to total the car and get the money from parting it out than it would be to fix it then they'll total it. If the cost to fix it is less than totaling it, you're getting back.

You may want to look into "the loss of value". I don't know if that applies since the accident is definitely your fault but, in my experience of someone hitting me and them fixing my car. They have to pay you the depreciation of the car from the accident on top of fixing the car. They don't like to tell people that though.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Judging by you saying you've only had it a couple of months I'd say they will not total it.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo637
I just want to know what you were doing in 3rd gear at 65mph, where you trying to correct and shifted down?
actually it was dark and it was a straight line so i didn't expect that there will be a turn so when I saw it it was too late..it's probably a 110degree turn..

Quick Reply: just got in a car accident