Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

blown motor for 5 months and 11 psi 5 months after new motor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown motor for 5 months and 11 psi 5 months after new motor

i blew the motor almost a year ago it was at the dealership for 5 months, they tried to get 9 grand out of me at 15,000 miles. I got it bacvk nothing worked right, the motor mounts are loose today i took the header shield off, the header was missing bolts, and the rest were not even screwed on all the way. It has been running at 11 psi for so long now it just hit 13 after i tightened the bolts but this car sucks im sick of it. I thought maybe it was the boost solonoid. i put on a manual boost controller that was set from someone elses car at 21psi. It didnt change anything. i kept turning and turning and finnaly when the hallm,an mbc was turned all the way in it hit about 18. i took it off after that and i haveno idea what is going on. The motor is new so they could of done 100 things wrong and judging by the header they did. There is no longer a warrany and if anyone has any suggestions please give me them if anyone is willing to fix this i will pay you. i live in long island area.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

post on evo-ny.com and you might get more local responses. Good luck
Old Nov 6, 2005, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's not a surprise to any race car driver. mechanics are idiots.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MaxR
that's not a surprise to any race car driver. mechanics are idiots.

i'm a mechanic and i'm no idiot.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you have a large boost leak. Have you done a boost leak test?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Why would you take the car home if the work wasn't done properly? Didn't you check it out? What ever is wrong is going to cost you money. The dealer screwed you and you should have made them fix it right.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 06:48 PM

I second the boost leak suggestion. Hook up a boost leak tester and listen for any loud whistling or air being released. Watch your boost gauge, 20psi should be fine to find all your leaks.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

wrong

do you know what it is like to have no car for 5 months. Not knowing if you are going to pay either way or not, i took what i could get that went along with my curbed rims dinged doors and grease stains on my headliner. I could not prove any damage, they would just say, no its fine, i had no boost gauge on it at the time if i did it prob would have voided my warrenty, everything about their service is a joke, not one mechanic has any idea of what is going on not one of them are good, they read a shop manual and do the work according. They are no better than an average person with a wrench.

im beggining to think my problem is the wastegate, ive taken everypipe off there are no boost leaks, im really lost now. Obvioulsy they didnt know what was wrong so now after all this time im still left with a 100+hp car
Old Nov 6, 2005, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

have you taken any action against them?? i dont care how bad a shop is, if they screwed up your car you should at LEAST complain to them and complain to MMofA...instead of coming here and complaining to us

did you actually pay them any money?
Old Nov 6, 2005, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

is that not like lemon law there has to be a law against that, or just complain to mitsu corp. and take it to another dealership, 15K it still got a waranty
Old Nov 6, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

no

No there is no law and until any of you go threw with it you dont know. Who are you going to call? i called everyone district manager mitsu companies, your mother, nothing matter they blow you off ive threatened to sew, the first 2 months was a response on why they werent gonna warrenty it which was abuse or some crap. When i picked it up the mechanic said yeah we dont know why it blew up. What are you gonna do. you say it ive been there it dosent work like you guys dream in your head they dont want to pay they will not pay and unless everything is documented you get nothing.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blakevo8
do you know what it is like to have no car for 5 months. Not knowing if you are going to pay either way or not, i took what i could get that went along with my curbed rims dinged doors and grease stains on my headliner. I could not prove any damage, they would just say, no its fine, i had no boost gauge on it at the time if i did it prob would have voided my warrenty, everything about their service is a joke, not one mechanic has any idea of what is going on not one of them are good, they read a shop manual and do the work according. They are no better than an average person with a wrench.

im beggining to think my problem is the wastegate, ive taken everypipe off there are no boost leaks, im really lost now. Obvioulsy they didnt know what was wrong so now after all this time im still left with a 100+hp car
You could take every pipe off and put it back on and still have boost leaks. The only way you will truly know is to make or buy a tester and do the test. It only will take about an hour (pull the intake pipe and put the test on the turbo inlet). Just don't pressure test over about 20psi like was mentioned and keep an eye on the guage on the air compressor. It helps to have two people. One to listen for leaks and the other to slowly turn up the regulator and watch the pressure. Unplug the compressor so you can hear any leaks.

It is possible it is the wastegate. You could test it by unplugging the vacum line from the wastegate, just ease into the boost and let off if it gets to 20psi or so. Make sure to plug the vacum line. That should tell you if it is a wastegate problem unless the wastegate is stuck open. Be careful...boost may climb quickly.

Last edited by DragNRacing; Nov 6, 2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blakevo8
No there is no law and until any of you go threw with it you dont know. Who are you going to call? i called everyone district manager mitsu companies, your mother, nothing matter they blow you off ive threatened to sew, the first 2 months was a response on why they werent gonna warrenty it which was abuse or some crap. When i picked it up the mechanic said yeah we dont know why it blew up. What are you gonna do. you say it ive been there it dosent work like you guys dream in your head they dont want to pay they will not pay and unless everything is documented you get nothing.
Was the car new or used when u bought it?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Do a search on: 11psi My story may help. I was boosting 11psi, and it was because i didn't have the stock hoses with pill restrictors in them. TopSpeed in Atlanta put some restrictors in my boost lines from an STI and got it to 15psi. It was either order new hoses from Mitsu or install MBC. Got a Forge MBC and is set to 19-20psi. Works great. If you did buy used, i bet this may be your problem. I know how it sux being without a car...but i would take it to your nearest evo tuner to double-check everything.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Sell it and buy a HONDA!