Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test Drive of Evo 9 MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I must tell after driving the Evo 9 MR around on highways and local roads I can honestly tell you that the 2003 (there was only one trim level) and the 2006 Evo MR are completely different cars. The 2003 felt really slow (I was shocked plus I was driving the car with my brother who really didn't like the car) compared to my car or my family cars. However the Evo 9 MR felt on time, very fast had an awesome sound, the best seats I ever sat in a car and loved the shifter. I will not only be a member of this website, but someone who owns the Evolution. I plan on leasing one (yes I know its stupid but it is a company cars that can only lease right now until December 21, 2006.) within the next month. Hope to post pics then. By the way I test drove the car at White Plains Mitsubishi. Evrol is my salesman. He is a really nice guy who never gave me any bull about driving the car. I would recommend him to anyone. Thanks for all your posts but the 2006 is really a much better car than the 2003.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

how on earth can an evo feel slow in comparison to a vr-4 or a gsx? unless those cars ae modded they are a lot slower than a stock evo 9.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jasil
I just bought a black 05' and almost backed out of the deal due to some cosmetic issues. While argueing I drove a 06' and even though I wanted it to feel different it didn't. So, I kept thinking 05' with 1K worth of cosmetic bullcrap for 24K with 10K on the clock or a 06' for 30.7K....even though I like the seats, dash, and rims better in the 6' I couldn't justify the extra 6K in price..

The car handles awesome and brakes awesome as well. My wife just drove it and I kept having to tell her to slow down. She said "It just makes you want to go fast and go around turns fast" She loves the steering if this continues it will be the first sports car I have owned that she really likes.
Not to hijack the thread, but wow. '05's with low mileage are going for $24k?? Ouch. My EVO just turned 1 year old on Saturday. To think it has dropped from $30k to $24k in one year. Yikes. <7k on the clock.

The relatively low price (compared to many other sports cars) is so deceptive. This is one expensive car to own .

I think you made a wise choice going with an '05.

*Sigh* no upgrading to an EVO IX for me it would seem :-D.

- John
p.s. Also, strangely, my girlfriend had a similar reaction... the only car of mine she'll drive at this point
Old Nov 8, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

I said that the 2003 felt slower than the 3000 GT VR4 / Eclipse GSX. I had not yet driven the 2006 Evo MR or any 2006 Evo for that matter. That car (the MR) drives so much better and faster than the VR4 and definitely the eclipse. The funny thing about the 2003 model is that when the Evo first came out and I test drove it in January of 2004 (2003 model year), the temperature obviously was very cold (I think around 15 degrees. The salesman started the car and it felt faster (new I mind you compared with one with 35200 miles that I drove in July 2005 where the temperature was over 85 degrees. I guess every car is different. The first 2003 drove much better than the second Evo (turned out to be a 2003 also), but the third evo I drove was the charm. The 2006 Evo MR is the best Evo I have driven and maybe even the best car I have driven.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

stock evos do feel slow, but god they love some simple boltons......
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu_Evo8
how on earth can an evo feel slow in comparison to a vr-4 or a gsx? unless those cars ae modded they are a lot slower than a stock evo 9.
Yes i did say modded ... the gsx stock was slow as crap
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know why people are saying the 2003 Evo is slow. I owned a 1991 GSX with mods and my Evo stock feels faster than it. Now if you own a 2006 ZO6 or Shelby Mustang Cobra, or Viper, Murcielago, Bugatti Veyron, then you can say the Evo is slow.
Don't forget the 3000GT VR-4 weighs 2 tons.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

I'm getting my car at White Plains mitsubishi. I'm on order for the first WW or GG MR IX that they get . Except Louis is the one taking care of me.