Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me with my first car choice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2005, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put it this way, if this kid has the money to get this car, he's gonna, i was his age a year ago, overestimated my abilities like crazy, spun out in a corolla, rsx, and a WRX. I almost hit a bus stop at night when i spun out in my RSX. Bute before this, i wanted an evo, and if i had that kind of money back then i would have got it. This kids gonna get the car, and more than likely, he's gonna destroy it. He's not gonna listen untill he experience first hand, btw, the kid is probably gone now and got the car allready so who gives, he hasn't even responded in a while
Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:32 PM

Well. Nice to hear all your inputs on my case.
Sry for not answering in awhile... things came up

I don't think i am gonna get the Evo. Sadly
I've decided to get a 325xi it meets me halfway with being AWD

So thanks again to all who have given me good advice.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:01 PM

thats a pretty expensive first car (well for my family it is), don't go and do something crazy with it.

be careful - but enjoy the new car
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm my family bought a 325xi a few years back... cost us around $38k when all was said and done, and we skipped a bunch of options like larger alloys and HIDs...
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
Ike
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aznindianboi
Well. Nice to hear all your inputs on my case.
Sry for not answering in awhile... things came up

I don't think i am gonna get the Evo. Sadly
I've decided to get a 325xi it meets me halfway with being AWD

So thanks again to all who have given me good advice.
That's a better choice IMO. Not quite as edgy as the cars you were looking at, not as fast, and lots of electronic controls to help an inexperienced driver.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aznindianboi
yea,i guess a Evo forum is a bad place to ask which car is better. but i thought maybe some Evo drivers may have liked a different car after getting their own Evo, and would kindly like to help another not to make a quick desicion without knowing about any other cars. because those are the only cars that i really know much about. and about the spoiled part. you are kinda right but i made a deal with my parents about my car, that is why price is a bit more in a higher range. Also if anyone would like to help me with this other problem. My parents (i am 15 about to be 16) think that manual transmission is a bad choice because you have to worry about clutch damage and other maintance that an automatic does not have. and they think that getting a manual will be bad because only my dad and I will be able to drive it. They do have good points but if anyone has some more that I could say that supports Manual please help. All i got is that i want it. and it is something to do while i drive.

True about the manual, False about the auto. My brother has an audi S4 auto and his torque converted went out costing nearly $2k. Plus auto is boring as crap compared to ripping through the gears...
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's definitely easier to mess something up in a manual, but if you're good at it, then there's no other way to go. In most cases, manuals (compared to their fully automatic counterparts of the same car but NOT SMG-type transmissions) tend to see noticeably (but not necessarily significantly) better acceleration and gas mileage. Plus automatics aren't telepathic, and they don't always do what you want them to do; sometimes they don't downshift when you want them to or sometimes they upshift when you don't want them to when doing a little spirited driving.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

My little brother will tell you b4 most that an EVO is to much. He took my fathers evo one day to "show off to friends and a girl". Unfortunately he wasn't lucky enough to bring it back and his only prob would be to have to hear my father scream about taking it in the first place. He drove it off the road extremely fast knocking threw trees until finally a large tree and bolder brought the car to hault. He was lucky to walk away from the car and his friends where okay too. He will openly admit that its easy not to respect something you don't have to pay for. He will also admit he is forchant enough to have a car in the first place.
However he had to face the music of totaling a car that wasn't his and he had make that phone call and explain what he had done. My point is, my little brother was young, is still young, and didn't know how to control the car. If I had to guess I bet he had taken it prob a dozen times or so in the past, it was just this time it caught up to him.

I guess my point here is that even if its your car, you didn't pay for it so it will always be a bit hard to respect it for what it really is. Growing up you really need to put your foot in the door with a car thats simple and forgiving. Something you can add "dumb" mods too and not worry about if it is going to be bad for the car. Something that may not look like much but its yours. When I was 16 I was given my dads old 91 maxima, sure I loved the car and I drove the heck out of it. But being 16, having a free car and friends to show off to I figured I was pretty damn invisible until slamming into a phone pole one night. After that I wasn't ever gave anything nice from my parents again. They made me work to pay for my insurance and cars. Im not going to say they never helped me out a bit, but they sure enough didn't hand me anything. It was a great lesson to learn about saving and buying something that is all mine. By the time I was 17 I had saved enough money working at wendys to by an old civic in needs of some tlc. It looked decent but that didn't really matter to me, it could have looked like poo and I would have loved that car, my point was it was all mine and I had worked for it. There for I treated it like gold. That car was washed, waxed, had perfect oil changes and about a billion stupid little mods. I wouldn't let anything happen to her. Though being I am a performance guy, I started driving in the local scca's to learn to drive good. This way its safe, my little civic I had worked so hard to get wouldn't get smashed into some tree from driving stupid.

Look kid I don't wanna talk your ear off but seriously you should re think this, I would get a beater at the least and working on it, make it yours.. Then when you go off to college or into the world get your evo, sti or 350z. It would be a shame to have your first car smashed and that car be an evo, sti, or 350z.

Im now older, married and working hard to keep my car and all her little toys.

Last edited by EidolaDream; Jan 15, 2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EidolaDream
Look kid I don't wanna talk your ear off but seriously you should re think this, I would get a beater at the least and working on it, make it yours.. Then when you go off to college or into the world get your evo, sti or 350z. It would be a shame to have your first car smashed and that car be an evo, sti, or 350z.
I agreed with the majority of your post, since I personally went through a lot of that in my younger days (I am now 22... still young, but older), but I disagree with some of the part that I quoted. I wouldn't recommend getting a beater. Not that there's anything wrong with a beater; it will teach you how to respect a car. But if the kid was blessed enough to have parents with decent finances, then he might as well get a decent car that he won't have to hope won't break down on his ride home from school--just NOT a performance-oriented car, like the cars you listed... Evo, STI, or 350Z.

Looking back on my own personal experiences and the stories of others, we were all hot-blooded teens eager to sit behind the wheel of a fast car and rip through the gears, hearing nothing but the engine roar to its redline. And it was fun. Although I wouldn't recommend that this kid get a performance car, I don't think we should encourage him to deprive himself of a little fun when it's within his reach.

To whoever the potential new driver is, I would recommend something along the lines of a Honda Civic Si (197 hp, 6-speed transmission, helical front LSD, stock 7-speaker 340-watt CD/MP3 audio system) or a Volkswagen Golf GTI (200 hp, 200 lb.-ft, 6-speed transmission and available DSG option). Both of these specific cars are relatively inexpensive (for a new car), hovering between $20,000 and $23,000. They're reasonably quick, handle well, have above average fuel economy, and aren't as potentially dangerous as the cars you were initially intersted in but are far more exciting to drive than a Scion or something.

Just don't screw around. If your parents can get you any of these cars, they might as well have you take those driving courses. Not only will you be a faster driver, you will be a safer, better prepared driver. Then look into an Evo in a few years.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

nicer car..more attention...police pay attention to performance cars. i kno most of my towns officers and they say they are harder on people with performance cars because they shoiuld be responisible enough not to do stupid crap on the streets. i kno several kids whos parents bought them a brand new sports car and 3 of em are dead, and the other got arrested. it just pisses me off sometimes that parents can be irresponsible eough to let a teenage boy have a sports car for their first car. u dont need to be going fast to have fun. i have a 92 galant and i have a blast in that car. im poor, all the tired are bald, its winter, and it rarely starts. no one needs a performance car at 15 years old. insurance will hit u hard if u get caught doin stupid sh*t
Old Jan 17, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

ok this is a day late but i gotta say something. Do not get any of these cars.... get an old used manuel trans. car... when i turned 16 i could definately not handle an evo... when 16 and having little driving experience putting you in a evo, sti or even a z is a danger to your self and everyone around you! you should really wait a while before getting these cars