Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me with my first car choice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
1. You're 16, you should be happy with a vehicle.
2. You're 16, a performance car is not for you, a much better buy would be something cheap and economical, like a base lancer, civic, mazda3, etc.
Now I'm sure someone will flame me by saying "oh young people are great drivers you don't know what you're talking about". Well I'm sorry, I'm 19, I know our age group is retarded. A 30k$ 300hp car is not a suitable vehicle choice. Sure its nice to have a very fast car when you're young, but at the same time its wreckless. We (young males) are stupid, we think with our penises 9 times out of 10. Insurance will simply rape you, you'll end up paying at least 3000$ a year, assuming the car is in your name and has full coverage. I drive a base lancer with no tickets and no accidents and I pay 3200$ a year.
Finally, a teenager that makes sense!!! I wish I was as smart as you when I was your age.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm only a teenager for another month, don't have a long time to make up for all the dumbass years. Really though, I've seen many a young person come on this site claiming to be responsible and mature only to crash the car within a month.
Teenage hormones+fast car=a gong show.

Last edited by ambystom01; Nov 6, 2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well as ur first car...i think if u want to eventually drive a real performance car (manual transmission) you should get a manual car dat's not too fast. eg. integra, eclipse, miata, etc. this way u'll learn how to properly drive stick and learn how to take car of ur car. higher performance cars require more knowledge and skills to maintain/drive. if u get an entry-level stick car as ur first, by the time u get a car like an Evo/STi, u'll appreciate it wayyy more, and know how to maintain/drive it way better than if it were ur first car.

with all that advice given, to answer ur question...350z is RWD, pretty heavy for a coupe (esp. apparent during corners). it comes in automatic, but i think if u wanna really know how to drive, u should get a manual one

Evo/Sti. 4 door saloons with AWD and turbo platform. the 2006 models are very close cars in terms of performance OEM. before the Evo handled quite a lot better, but now both are very close. the Evo is still more mod friendly, esp. the Evo 9 with addition of MIVEC to its engine. AWD slightly safer on different terrains eg. raining days.

despite the higher hp rating for the Z, the Evo/Sti beat it in every regards performance wise. straighline acceleration/corerning/braking

all aforementioned IMHO (except for lil specs on cars)

ok i'm done. hope i helped u a bit. tell us what u decided on at the end
Old Nov 6, 2005, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

You're too young for any of those cars, tell your parents to come let me shoot them btw.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No one should be allowed to drive a car this quick without at least a couple years driving experience. The Evo is the WRONG car for you.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

$hit man ur 15 years old almost 16, i know theres quite a few 16 year olds on here with evo's but to be honest be very carefull at that age, i am 18, live in the UK where it is very hard for young drivers like myself to get insured on evo's etc quite rightly, these cars need experience, my evo was not my 1st car, i built up experience from over the years from when i was 14 in karting and slowly became use to the ways of motorsports, i by no mean am a gd driver, no1 is perfect at driving, but what i do know is where my limits are on the car, where as to be honest you as a 16 year old and getting an evo as a first car, u simply wont, that doesnt go to say the other 16 year olds dont know, many im sure are responsible drivers, but please for every ones sake be carefull whatever you do decision is yours and your parents but iv seen it happen to many times here in the UK. When parents pay for your cars you tend to care for them less whereas if you work your *** off like myself and pay every last penny through hard work then you respect your car more.

just my opinion though good luck anyway
Old Nov 7, 2005, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boomtown
No one should be allowed to drive a car this quick without at least a couple years driving experience. The Evo is the WRONG car for you.
just to also add i couldnt put it any clearer myself, start at something slower then work your way up
Old Nov 7, 2005, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you'll kill yourself in any of those cars.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

..i dont think ANYONE on here will try to bribe a 15 year old to buy an evo...thats like walking across the street and saying.."hit me hit me!!"

Originally Posted by EvoJutsu

As for gettin ur first car, ur in a mitsu site... everyone will prolly bribe u to get an evo.
The Sti and the Evo have basically the same type of characters- do a search and read on actualy ppl doin the test drivin of both cars and what they like each differently about those cars.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a 16 yr old person I wouldnt recommend these powerful cars. But its ur decision and ur family's. Anyways, as the first car I think I would get the 350z as it looks much better and also has the performance. The evo is a total performance/purist car and I dont think it would be wise for u to get such a performance oriented car.
But if u have good self control and not influenced by friends to do silly things evo would be the best choice.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

Look at the '06 Civic Si. It's about right for a first timer.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by EvoJutsu

I kno a few ppl here that got the evo as their first car and really took care of em b/c they've researchin everythin bout their car and learning through here( point taken there are others who just fcked up their evo)
Yea, u guys have really good points. but for me my first car will be with me for awhile. and i want the best to start out with and then let it follow me. and for the point on messing up the evo if yoiu have no experience. can you help me with not messing it up. cause this is my first car and i will have no experience with maintanence. all i can see that i could mess up is the clutch.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aznindianboi
is it true that all mistibushi cars lose alot of resell value quickly?

I saw somewhere that the Evo VIII had the highest used car resale value last year. Meaning it retained more value from new than any other car out there. You can buy a used 350Z or STi for like 20K or less now. Most evos are 23-28K used.

As for which is best, it depends what you want. If you wanna keep it stock and just drive it possibly the STi is the most versatile, well handling and refined. If you live in a warm temperate climate with no snow the 350Z is a hot 2 seater RWD car. (not practical for cold climates but uber looks and so nasty with wheels and a drop) As for the beast of the bunch, the evo dollar for dollar will stomp the life out of either other car when you mod it. Anyway you choose, you're a winner.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aznindianboi
Yea, u guys have really good points. but for me my first car will be with me for awhile. and i want the best to start out with and then let it follow me. and for the point on messing up the evo if yoiu have no experience. can you help me with not messing it up. cause this is my first car and i will have no experience with maintanence. all i can see that i could mess up is the clutch.

Honestly, you have absolutely no buisness getting an Evo for your first car.none.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 05:32 AM

im in the same boat, im not interested in the car with the most HP, i currently drive a supercharged v6 rwd, it could probably smoke most cars in a straight line, what i dont want is to be scared of the wet, i cant stand having to baby the throttle in the wet otherwise you end up sideways, i mean my traction control doesnt even work anymore! lol.

AWD is what i want now and its either a 05 STi or the new EVO IX, apparently the MR model isnt road legal here in australia lol, so we only get the GSR/STOCK models.

Ive been in a STi, i really love the interior, that beautiful note, lots of respect on the road - i mean ppl really do pull up next to you and ask about the cars mods -weve even had pizza delivery guys that have seen the car out front and wanted the driver to start it up so they could hear it purr lol. Now what i have learnt from my mates 04 model STi, is that its NOT very mod friendly, i mean he put an exhaust on there and his car shat its pants - pretty much everytime hes added something to his car (recently a bigger turbo) it hasnt liked it and is in need of some serious tuning love.

I really want an evo because theres just not many around where i live here in Australia, the thing here though (maybe the same in the states) is that ppl think "oh its a mitsu, its crap" or "its just a riced up lancer". Im not really the sort of guy that wants a car to impress the ladies, but let me tell you UNLESS you give them a drive in your EVO and convert them, girls wont be impressed, or if you smoke there bf's s15 (real big here in aus atm).

At this moment in time, even thou i havnt driven in an evo ix yet, i am leaning towards one. It will depend on the test drive (the mitsu dealers are really cool here, they will let you test drive one and told me what i could and couldnt mod on the car to keep the warranty void free, meanwhile the STi dealer was an arrogant bastard that wouldnt even let me SEE an STi let alone suggest that i could test drive one - PPl buy these cars sight unseen apparently LOL what a moron).

ANWAY .. good luck on your decision. my vote goes for either STi or EVO, forget the 350 unless your just after a nice luxury daily driver.

Quick Reply: Help me with my first car choice