Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me with my first car choice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummm yeah do i drive a srt 4 no so shut the **** up!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by CoEvo05
ok u should listen to me.....i know where im coming from.....im 17.....to everyone saying hes a punk kid and spoiled as hell......take a walk (to put it nicely) so what if he doesnt have to pay for his car.....big deal.......so u did doesnt mean u have to be all jelous and rag on him.....it doesnt matter if u have to work for it or not u still take care of ur **** one way or another......i say get the evo....its the best car out there for the money and everyone that likes them would kill to have that as there first car.....and if u say u wouldnt ur a liar!!! and u know deep down inside u are!!!! lol i say get the evo just take good care of it and watch out theres a lot of haters out there!!!! garage it! and park away from everyone else!!! lol trust me ull make the kids at ur highschool jelious as hell!!!! and ull get laid like none other!!! lol so i say get the evo and make everyone else jelious....oh and the awd clutch really isnt that hard to learn on....ive been driving awd cars since i was like 11...12 but its all in ur head! so once u get over that ull get it down!!! good luck!!
Again it has nothing to do with jealousy or "hating", it has to do with basic maturity and responsibility. I went to a school populated by two kinds of people, those that were given everything and anything and those that had to work to get what they truly wanted. I was/am in the latter group. I drive a base lancer ES, no air, no power windows, nothing. My parents drive 40000$+ vehicles, and I'm glad everyday they were real parents and put my interests first, not my hormones. There were people around me who were 16/17 and drove BMWs, Lexus', STis, huge trucks, and even the odd porsche or ferrari. These people invariably crashed or broke they're cars. They had no sense of responsibility or any forseeable maturity as if they messed up, "Daddy" just dealt with everything and because they were still kids. If you're parents truly care about you, they'll ignore your whining and moaning about wanting this car and that and they'll buy you one thats fits you're needs, not what your ***** thinks you want.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

man guys like you make the rest of us seem really mature...
but seriously the evo was my second car and i know i'm not a good enough driver for it, thats why i haven't done any power mods or anything like that, in fact i haven't even been pulled over because i learned my lesson in my beater crx where i got pulled over 13 times, some for driving like a jacka$$ and some for no good reason but you'll regret having an evo, z, or sti when u curb your wheels trying to parallel park
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

ok....if my car breaks down or does anything like that i dont pay to have someone fix it i fix it myself....as in me not my dad...i do all the work on my car.....if i dont know how to do something i look it up or ask someone who knows how to do it....to this day i havent had anyone else do any work what so ever on my car! its not a big deal....but i just hate it when people say oh dont worry about it ur dad will fix it for u ....cuz he doesnt i do! and i earned the right to have my car....i dont treat it like **** at all.....im a good driver ive been driving since i was like 11.......and im responsible with my car i havent gotten pulled over or had any sort of ticket yet and i dont plan on it in the future!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Can't wait for this kid to buck an evo on stopped hills.

And you can hardly call it your first car since it'll be under mom and dads name and their insurance policy.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:24 PM

well i have to say thanks to CoEvo05 he understands me. and i don't mean to be an a$$ about the whole "clowning me" thing. i just wanted some advice and i got it, but with some comments about me killing myself and that my age group is a bunch of reckless drivers. All i have to say is that maybe i will be that specail percentile of my age group that don't screw up. and i think i will be ok in school. so far the nicest cars in the school parking lot is a new Rx-8, OZ rally edition, and some old but nice looking muscle cars. i would like to thank you other nice people for the great advice. i am gonna go to the dealership Sat. and test drive it. my dad says he will buy the car right now if i get it in automatic. but then that means my whole family will be able to drive it or i can wait until i get my license and get a manual.

Also i wan to ask. i see people talking about grt evo's, and vtec evo's. are those older model types or is every new evo model that comes out have different classes. all i've seen is the RS, IX, and the MR.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

I'm waiting for the thread in a few weeks titled "my clutch feels funny" or "my differential is making noises" or the always classic "cops are dumb even though I was going 100 in a 65 zone".
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aznindianboi
well i have to say thanks to CoEvo05 he understands me. and i don't mean to be an a$$ about the whole "clowning me" thing. i just wanted some advice and i got it, but with some comments about me killing myself and that my age group is a bunch of reckless drivers. All i have to say is that maybe i will be that specail percentile of my age group that don't screw up. and i think i will be ok in school. so far the nicest cars in the school parking lot is a new Rx-8, OZ rally edition, and some old but nice looking muscle cars. i would like to thank you other nice people for the great advice. i am gonna go to the dealership Sat. and test drive it. my dad says he will buy the car right now if i get it in automatic. but then that means my whole family will be able to drive it or i can wait until i get my license and get a manual.

Also i wan to ask. i see people talking about grt evo's, and vtec evo's. are those older model types or is every new evo model that comes out have different classes. all i've seen is the RS, IX, and the MR.
Except that statistically you're more likely to be in the wreckless group, there is a reason why insurance is so high for a 16-25 year old male. As for test driving it, ha, good luck, 1. you can't drive stick and 2. you're 16, I wouldn't let a 16 year old test drive a kia let alone an evo. Considering the second question, you really should not get an evo.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

gst? u mean gsr? thats the mid or base evo like the normal evo 8 or the normal ix.....and the vtec i think u mean mivic and thats in the new ixs its just mitsubishis multiple valve timing.....better torque curves and it pulls harder all the way.....i say wait tell u get ur lisence....manual is worth it!!! plus they dont make auto evos lol........are u going to get a ix or an viii?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

well for all i know... if i had the money ... i woud buy an evo too.. im 17 years old.. and have been driving my 1990 nissan sentra 1.4 ... laugh... and i have learned the ways of manual transmission, heel and toe, and even double clutching...

if you never driven a manual.. i highly recomend learning.. cause an evo .. is going to be a really expensive car to learn from... think.. if you let go of the clutch... theres damage... hmmm thats gonna cost you..

let me just say that my sentra has 170,000 miles on it.. and i still have the stock clutch. the person that owned it before me worked for nissan, and well im as happy as can be... if you want a first car.. ill sell you this one for 1500 dollars and you can learn and then you can go buy your evo... jk.. i love my sentra too much.

anyways.. i would not buy any of those cars, i would save up a little bit more.. and get a real beater car with manual.. learn all your stuff on it.. and then get the evo. and buy learning i dont mean 3 weeks of driving manual and thats it
i mean atleast a year.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CoEvo05
ummm yeah do i drive a srt 4 no so shut the **** up!
I never said you drive an Srt-4 I said your kind. It really does help to read other peoples posts carefully. Congrats on doing basic diy but synthetic oil, filters, pads, rotors, do cost money and add up.

Regardless "your kind" seem to be high school kids who think they are drift masters and come off as major d-bags. I am also glad that you were driving at the age of 11 and I'm sure that CO issued you a drivers license as well. Driving up and down your drive-way doesn't count johnny.

Most driver experience comes from driving with other cars on the road, crappy conditions, anticipation, hpde and having to deal with other crappy drivers (usually 11 year olds).

It unfortunate that you come off as such a tool, because its tends to clump other evo owners your age into this category, however I do know of a couple younger evo owners who deserve what they drive.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I'm waiting for the thread in a few weeks titled "my clutch feels funny" or "my differential is making noises" or the always classic "cops are dumb even though I was going 100 in a 65 zone".
I think it will go more like "My mom stole my car keys b/c I got a speeding ticket what do I do or I saw a deer last night and swerved out of its way and hit a tree what do I tell my parents?"
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:52 PM

mayb u should take a look at the wrx NON STi one
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

The most experience comes when you drive alone, without your parents telling you what to do.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by aznindianboi

Ok, first of all, you've heard the No's from tons of people on this thread. Just because one person gets on and is on you're side doesnt mean its a good idea. His case is different, because he has been driving since the age of 11. You have no experience, and you can't drive a stick.

You've heard what almost everyone has told you. Its dangerous, its too much power for you to handle, and its not a safe first car. You are aware of the statistics that young men are flat out irresponsible drivers. Now, you have no experience whatsoever, and you will be in a car much harder to drive than 95% of the "statistics". You aren't special. It will be just as dangerous and just as bad of a choice for you as it would for anybody else. Even moreso, because as we have tried to explain to you before you have no experience and you cant drive a stick and have shown that you seriously lack any knowledge about cars and so do your parents.

Next, about the automatic thing. Evo's dont come in automatics. If your dad doesn't know this, he probably doesn't even know what the car is. Hopefully once he realizes the performance of the car he will have some judgement and put his foot down. I think there was one EVO VII model over in europe and japan that had an option for an automatic, but you arent going to get one of those over here. Based on the fact that nobody in your family can drive a stick, and they are considering buying a brand new EVO for a 16 year old, they don't know jack **** about cars. I think this is a perfect example of more money than brains.

Also, you want to get a stick so your parents can't drive the car? Why not, theyre buying the damn thing for you. Thats just plain selfish and spoiled.

You have shown nothing that suggests you have any knowledge about cars, or experience driving. If you try to drive fast, you will screw up and crash or mess up your clutch and tranny, or get busted by the cops. If you will be an extremely responsible driver, you could get your parents to rent a manual car from a rental company to learn how to drive a stick on in a big empty parking lot.

It is possible to drive the car without crashing at age 16. I do it all the time, although I have 2 1/2 years of experience. You really should take a drivers ed class first though, and learn how to drive a stick on a rental car or someone in your familys'. Then if you get an evo, drive it extremely carefully. Don't speed, race, show off, talk on your cell phone, or anything. If you pay attention to what your doing and have some natural ability, you wont wreck. If you try to drive fast or race, you will crash. Period.

But then again, if you aren't going to speed or anything, whats the point of getting an EVO? There are plenty of cars that arent as fast and dangerous that look just as good or better.

Please listen to our advice. I know you really want the EVO, its an awesome car. But dont let the things you want make you irrational and close-minded.

Last edited by evonsx Jr; Nov 7, 2005 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me with my first car choice