Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help me with my first car choice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Cops Lie
Hey, its about time for me to shop for my first car too (but my big rich daddy wont bring his credit card to the car lot buy me one i had to work for it ). Man I love the evos on this site, amazing. But im not a fool, an evo isnt a "first car kinda thing" or not for me at least. I do want to drive a stick tho. I was thinking a jetta .

What do you guys think abuot volkswagen? The thing I like about the jetta is its a good size, I learned how to drive on a freaking cadilac escalade, christ that thing is like a tank. One giant blind spot, look into the rearview mirror and all you see is back seat. Err, i really try not to ramble...

But yea if there is anything you guys/gals can tell me about having a jetta as my first car it would really help. Most important is i want something SAFE. Then comes sporty, is there a lot of ways to hook up a jetta both cosmetic and performance wise? My Father and mother both passed away 2 years ago and they left me some money. I have some put away and im saving some for school, so i plan to spend about 24 grand. Deff. a used car.

Anything you can help me out with i would like

Thanks,
C.L.
I've heard jettas can be either great cars, or a living nightmare. the father of my sisters boyfriend had one that was a complete piece, the electrical system actually died while he was driving.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muzak
Also, there is no such thing as a VTEC ( ) Evo or anything thing else. The Evo has only been in the US since 2003, and the only types are RS, GSR, and MR.
not to come off as a dick but there is a "vetc" evo......its the ix.....the ix has mivic which is basically vtec...its mulitple valve timing......so he wasnt completely off just didnt get the name right
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by muzak
Sorry to be accuracy police, but the 2005 all came with the 10.5 hotside, not just the MR. Besides that, good summary!
My bad. Now I remember it was all 2005s. I just knew my dads EVO has it and most others dont. I had forgotten if my dads had it because its an MR or if it had the 10.5 because its a 2005.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CoEvo05
not to come off as a dick but there is a "vetc" evo......its the ix.....the ix has mivic which is basically vtec...its mulitple valve timing......so he wasnt completely off just didnt get the name right
Generally, when you see vetc or any arrangment of those letters, you think of VTEC. Initial reaction, and he was off in more ways than just the name. I'm sorry, but he is blatantly ignorant with anything concerning cars. Its the truth, and I'm not going to put it any other way.

The best thing you can do aznindianboi is read. I know you have a lot of questions, but I am willing to bet that they have all been covered before. There is this button at the top of the page called search. Learn to use it, it will be your friend.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

all i have to say is, if you wreck it, kill someone, mess your clutch up, or get many speeding tickets make sure you come back here and tell people who told you not to get this car that they were right. Also make sure to try and at least visit these boards telling other 16 year old's how there not ready to get an evo, when thre parents gonna buy them one. so many kid scome here post a few them wreck there car then dissapear. at leats stay pn these boards to make sure. remeber all the posts everyone said if something bad happens to you.

if you really and truely drive respectfully with your evo, then great. im very sure you will not do any of the things i mentioned could happen. maybe a few tickets cause cops notice that big wing

good luck
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Ok after the first 3 pages got tired of reading... Heres basically what it sums up too.. You are 15.. Gonna be 16 soon. You do not know how to drive a car, lettle own a performance car that is manual... Give it iam 17 and have a 350z, but i had to wait a year and have a year of driving exp. before i got my Z... And even then it was a close call of being too soon. I gurantee if you get the evo, Z, or sti at this age you will do 2/3 things.
1) Crash it
2) Kill the tranny/clutch
3) Crash it, kill the tranny, and Kill yourself in it

Iam guessing 1 and 2 are for sure... Lets not let 3 happen. I mean why waste a perfectly good evo . No matter how mature any 16year old is, NOONE is ready to have that much of a car for such a new driver. But if you do happen to get a car, do get manual, you will regret getting auto if you do. Heres what i would do if you do get one of these cars as your first and its manual. Have your parents buy it for you, let them drive it home, before/between/after learn to drive stick from a friend with a manual car. Learn atleast the basics, then go on your new car. Trust me youll thank me later.
And as for which car to get, the evo is prob best for speed/mod for the buck. But i think you should have something safe.. I know the evo doesnt have F&S airbags.. the STi and Z do.. so between one of those 2 cars .. hrm... The Z is RWD which = you will put too much gas around a corner end up fishtailing, going sideways, and most likely into a pole. STi is probably safer cause its AWD.. So ya get either STi or Evo... Good luck, and if you dont take any of my advice, when you crash it in a month or 2, make a thread saying "Should of listened to cloudy"
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cloudy
I gurantee if you get the evo, Z, or sti at this age you will do 2/3 things.
1) Crash it
2) Kill the tranny/clutch
3) Crash it, kill the tranny, and Kill yourself in it

Iam guessing 1 and 2 are for sure... Lets not let 3 happen.
+1 If by some miracle you don't crash, you will not be able to maintain the car.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=aznindianboi] i am gonna go to the dealership Sat. and test drive it. my dad says he will buy the car right now if i get it in automatic. but then that means my whole family will be able to drive it or i can wait until i get my license and get a manual.QUOTE]

Wow. This was an interesting thread. A little comparison happened on the first page and then the thead went down hill. I agree with the people who say you are too young for the car. No matter what way you look at it; a yooung guy in a fast car is going to go fast. You said in prior posts you would not go fast, so what is the point of owning a fast car. I am 18 and drove a landcruiser for two years, which taught me many lessons, and I also took a definsive driving course(a great way to learn from experts). In the end, I am glad I drove a landcruiser for 2 years, while I saved money for the evo.

You are also getting a lot of negative feedback based on your attitude and lack of knowledge. FYI- There are no automatic Evo's, or any Vtec equipped Mitsubuishi's(it is called MIVEC).
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

ok u should listen to me.....i know where im coming from.....im 17.....to everyone saying hes a punk kid and spoiled as hell......take a walk (to put it nicely) so what if he doesnt have to pay for his car.....big deal.......so u did doesnt mean u have to be all jelous and rag on him.....it doesnt matter if u have to work for it or not u still take care of ur **** one way or another......i say get the evo....its the best car out there for the money and everyone that likes them would kill to have that as there first car.....and if u say u wouldnt ur a liar!!! and u know deep down inside u are!!!! lol i say get the evo just take good care of it and watch out theres a lot of haters out there!!!! garage it! and park away from everyone else!!! lol trust me ull make the kids at ur highschool jelious as hell!!!! and ull get laid like none other!!! lol so i say get the evo and make everyone else jelious....oh and the awd clutch really isnt that hard to learn on....ive been driving awd cars since i was like 11...12 but its all in ur head! so once u get over that ull get it down!!! good luck!!
I get a headache reading your post; commas, periods, and proper grammar can be your friend.

ok....if my car breaks down or does anything like that i dont pay to have someone fix it i fix it myself....as in me not my dad...i do all the work on my car.....if i dont know how to do something i look it up or ask someone who knows how to do it....to this day i havent had anyone else do any work what so ever on my car! its not a big deal....but i just hate it when people say oh dont worry about it ur dad will fix it for u ....cuz he doesnt i do! and i earned the right to have my car....i dont treat it like **** at all.....im a good driver ive been driving since i was like 11.......and im responsible with my car i havent gotten pulled over or had any sort of ticket yet and i dont plan on it in the future!
And at age 11 could you even reach the pedals? I am curious though, was your spelling and grammar punctuation better at age 11, then it is currently?

Last edited by cloudy; Nov 7, 2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

I swear to god; reading your replies makes me want to punch babies.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think in japan an automatic trans evo is going to be released
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Oh and if you want an auto evo, you will have to wait till the Evo X... Hey perfect timeing, should just be enough time for you to get some driving exp. in .

Oh and here is a prime example of teenagers with Evo's. Iam just assuming he is a teenager from his lack of knowledge of what to do in an accident, and still being insured under his parents.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...4&page=1&pp=15
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cloudy
I swear to god; reading your replies makes me want to punch babies.
+1
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Another thing, can a moderator please move this thread to the Newbie Forum? Doesn't belong here.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

i actually agree with muzak this thread should just be deleted i think he got all of the info he needed out of it and more flameage then he wanted.

Quick Reply: Help me with my first car choice