Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weight Reduction on Evo 8 05

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol well tonight in the dark i started the reducsion. too out all trunk stuff and back seat stuff inclucding back deck with seat belts. post some pics and im going to make a site with all the stuff and how much is weights. on a scale. and no this car is not ment for people in back. i want the ligthest evo on street.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

alright well tonight i started the mass of weight reducstion. started out by take all truck stuff out with along the back seat and seat belts lol yes. not a car for people in back. and also the the back deck heres some pics to go with it. and will be making a site for all this. and how it went and what was hard and what i did to get off.

on the back deck those baby seat holders. the ones closet to the window are kind of anowing to take off. and if going to do this remeber to unbolt the brack light dont try and rib it off wont work.

for those who like louder music this is a free mod. the sub hits so much hard lol with seats out lol.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

remove rear bumper crash bar
will save like 18 pounds

Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

i dont know if i will i still do drive it on the street and would like to be some what safe. lol taking that off will be like driving a tin can. once i do harness and what not that i will think about front and back. but im going to work on geting the front now lighter. and also the roof. need to find a mr roof. and a place take can do this for me.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know if i will i still do drive it on the street and would like to be some what safe. lol taking that off will be like driving a tin can. once i do harness and what not that i will think about front and back. but im going to work on geting the front now lighter. and also the roof. need to find a mr roof. and a place take can do this for me.
You can remove all this stuff safely if you install a rollcage. Oh, and the impact bars, while I don't know for sure about the EVO has I have never removed them, but on most cars they are about 10lbs each.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 02:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bdking57
seriously.. if you need help on a nice low carb/ weight reduction work out routine hit me up lol.. I can easily take 40-50lbs off the avg male. My buddy Marshall is building up his evo race car. He has done some serious weight reduction on this car.. the motor is out right now and you can lift the entire car off the ground with two people. He found all kinds of BS brackets that were all over the car that added weight.. most of the stuff you couldnt get to easily though..but if you take the front bumper off.. the front crash beam is heavy, and I was would also imagine removing helps to add more oversteer.. then there is a bracket that holds the horn on.. get rid of that and mount the horn somewhere else.. we removed the mettle plate on the steering column. Im not gonna even mention the obvious.. the car is completely stripped with a lighter then stock seat.. bare interior, ditching the power mirrors for apr mirrors etc.
where is the metal plate in the steering column located?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 04:47 AM
GDB
Evolving Member

Speaking of weight reduction, why not remove the sub altogether?

I'm planning to strip my stereo completely in the future, and have an iPod with puny speakers or something like that for the long trips.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
where is the metal plate in the steering column located?

its like 1lb not worth time for that right now. trying to get the big stuff first. lol that is when there is nothing left on car and you get hard for 1lb a week or night lol.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GDB
Speaking of weight reduction, why not remove the sub altogether?

I'm planning to strip my stereo completely in the future, and have an iPod with puny speakers or something like that for the long trips.
the sub will be tonight with the other side panel for the trunk but i kind of like music so if take sub out system sounds like humm not to good. i will do that when i get more and more out like the stuff thats not needed. sound will be when i have nthing else to do. i do drive the car a lot still. i think i will do ac maybe this weekend. along with some other stuff. but i would rather take stuff out when i put mods in aswell. also thinkin of just runing a downpipe so will be light lol. ok and rollcage. why but one in. will just weight to much. im taking weight out not buting back in. so i need some vendors that has light weight parts but also sholed for road racing. thats my goal with this car. stock looking out side but lightest evo on road.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

what i do know when i but in that trunk bar im going to have to get rid of sub so its all of mater of time.

hey anyone know where i can find somthing to remove the sound det stuff.

i know on friends blue s4 we just heat gun the **** and scraped it off. it went nice and easy.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest weight that I took out of my car was the cruise control.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
The biggest weight that I took out of my car was the cruise control.
wow why not post that comment somewere else. but ok i will do that tonight lol
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Alright tonight did a lot more weight reduction post pics for all.

ok well to many pics to keep posting so heres the dir to it.

http://www.mike1023.com/evowr/11-8-2005/

as you can see taking every thing out tonight the addsonal. trunk piece. with all door panels, the carpits, passanger seat with seat belt, part of center consol. if question plz ask. and yes the carpit i thought would be like 2lb but it tured out that is was dam havery. if want pics of stuff just ask. i going to be weight all the stuff and listing it up soon. when i stop taking all the stuff out of car. and going to be doing other stuff. yes i know placti on doors. need to find somthing to take off the glue stuff. and geting a race seat w/ harness. so should be some good stuff coming up. if any other idears plz let me know. and how tos i will make if need. aswell. didnt do anything under the hood. so when that comes i will let ya know. and im estimate of what is out so far has to be over 150-200lb. no douth about it.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

get some carbon fiber fenders...i dont have a link but im sure you could find it if u searched...i think streetconcepts makes them......and u can do cf trunk/ hood/mirrors- just a thought
Old Nov 9, 2005, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CoEvo05
get some carbon fiber fenders...i dont have a link but im sure you could find it if u searched...i think streetconcepts makes them......and u can do cf trunk/ hood/mirrors- just a thought
cf hood is not worth it. and all the other stuff. spending so much for all that cf i can but in to performence parts and handleing and make it more worth it.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction on Evo 8 05