Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weight Reduction on Evo 8 05

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1023
alright well tonight i started the mass of weight reducstion. started out by take all truck stuff out with along the back seat and seat belts lol yes. not a car for people in back. and also the the back deck heres some pics to go with it. and will be making a site for all this. and how it went and what was hard and what i did to get off.

on the back deck those baby seat holders. the ones closet to the window are kind of anowing to take off. and if going to do this remeber to unbolt the brack light dont try and rib it off wont work.

for those who like louder music this is a free mod. the sub hits so much hard lol with seats out lol.
i pulled my trunk liner, gutted most of the interior sound deadener. I've been considered pulling the back seats for a while now. Having people sit in the back is kind of a liability with my Sparco harness bar anyway. Is there any sort of fabric i could put in place where the seats were? I'm not a huge fan of the unfinished look of missing back seats. My car is still a seasonal DD so i would like to make the back looking sort of presentable.... any suggestions?
Old Nov 9, 2005, 06:31 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDrift07
i pulled my trunk liner, gutted most of the interior sound deadener. I've been considered pulling the back seats for a while now. Having people sit in the back is kind of a liability with my Sparco harness bar anyway. Is there any sort of fabric i could put in place where the seats were? I'm not a huge fan of the unfinished look of missing back seats. My car is still a seasonal DD so i would like to make the back looking sort of presentable.... any suggestions?
Maybe you can get one of those carbon fiber stickers? May look tacky if not done properly though.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
or just get the real deal carbon fiber bullhead and seat deck liner. look in the thread titled vendors need to get in on this cool carbon fiber stuff or something like that.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
way to much money. lol just go to home depot and get some thin *** carpit. its like light as hell. and can just pin it down. but i dont think it would realy look any better anyhow. unless have right tools and skill. i think just leaving open is better. and on cf hoods. most place say all them are heavry then stock so i dont like. and if i was to get one i want lighter then stock one and also would pin it down so there for the hinges and lock will come off. which may not bee that much but will be more then all 4 pins. hopefully.

and soon im going to be taking the door more stuff off. need somthing to get off that sticky glue so need to find somthing. and there is a lot in the doors. any one know how much the saft bars weigh.

and also any one find or know a place that sells somthing for the sunroof. so i can like use the exsiting holes to mount somthing up there that wont leack also. maybe a vendor would like to build somthing and i will test out and if works sell a lot of them.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

hey do you think with car like this i can go to dealer. and ask for warrenty.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
until they can prove that your removing of stuff caused the problem... yes...
Old Nov 11, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

i called there should be no problem. i mean how can removing seats and this and that have anything to do with the shiffter or motor. has ntohing at all. im just taking werigh out so get good gas miles. lol
wink wink.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

and also any one find or know a place that sells somthing for the sunroof. so i can like use the exsiting holes to mount somthing up there that wont leack also. maybe a vendor would like to build somthing and i will test out and if works sell a lot of them.
Oh goody I can help out here.

You can do 1 of 3 things, each increasing in cost.

1) Take out your sunroof assembly and put in a lexan panel. People do this ALL the time on Porsche, BMW M3, etc. Sometimes it isn't pretty, but it is effective. This should only run you a couple hundred dollars and can be done at any good body shop.

2) Have a custom carbon fiber panel made. The difficult part is measuring the holes and then having a custom piece. If you are lucky a shop could custom make one. Then you just need it bolted on. This will cost probably around 1000$

3) Replace the roof with the MR aluminum assembly. It has been done several times and is doable, don't listen to anyone else saying otherwise. This is the most pricey option, but it also saves the most weight and would be a really cool project. I will eventually do this on my steel roof. Then I can laugh when all the naysayers have nothing but praise over my project. Expect to pay about 2500$ for this, unpainted.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Oh goody I can help out here.

You can do 1 of 3 things, each increasing in cost.

1) Take out your sunroof assembly and put in a lexan panel. People do this ALL the time on Porsche, BMW M3, etc. Sometimes it isn't pretty, but it is effective. This should only run you a couple hundred dollars and can be done at any good body shop.

2) Have a custom carbon fiber panel made. The difficult part is measuring the holes and then having a custom piece. If you are lucky a shop could custom make one. Then you just need it bolted on. This will cost probably around 1000$

3) Replace the roof with the MR aluminum assembly. It has been done several times and is doable, don't listen to anyone else saying otherwise. This is the most pricey option, but it also saves the most weight and would be a really cool project. I will eventually do this on my steel roof. Then I can laugh when all the naysayers have nothing but praise over my project. Expect to pay about 2500$ for this, unpainted.
thanks for the tips. lexan is 27$ or so. lol did it on friends s4. its not much at all. go to walmart and get it. and then make it cut it out. and then duble side tape that sucker on lol. need some more free weight reduction. becasue as of now im buting more power in the car. bolt ons and so.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

im looking for rs doors were there are no safty bars in the doors. becasue looking at them from night ago. i cant take them out. well easyly. and also if or the rs roll up windows. i will tke some pics later and i but back the one passanger seat. so someone can come with me. lol so added 39lb back crap lol.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 06:09 AM

Opps wrong thread.

Last edited by CAR7; Nov 23, 2005 at 06:16 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CAR7
Opps wrong thread.

hehe it was cool while it lasted. lol. but do you think that it really works. and i would think would want a wider piecce in the inside so it hits more of te filter. then the top of it. why not some ram air. make a diff fliter. like the ram air goes right in the filter now that would be cool. can i help. you with it. i want to be a project tester. dam it lol.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

cf hood is not worth it. and all the other stuff. spending so much for all that cf i can but in to performence parts and handleing and make it more worth it.
+1
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Light-weight 2-piece brake rotors can save several pounds per corner. There are lighter wheels available. Remove the entire A/C assembly (this is weight off of the front of the car which is better than removing weight from the rear). Light-weight 2-piece aluminum or carbon fiber drive-shaft. Remove stereo and speakers. Carbon fiber trunk lid with no spoiler. Light-weight battery relocated to rear of car....
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:32 AM

i remember seeing carbon fiber doors for the evo8 on some site, looks badass

i know all them CF Stuff's expensive but he wants weight reduction..and i dunno
about yall but try taking one of your doors off, they're heavy as hell.

anyways, did anyone post about those CF doors up yet? i dont remember the site but if i
run across it again i'll let yall know.

Last edited by devo720; Nov 23, 2005 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction on Evo 8 05