Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Drove the EVO IX RS, STi and Audi S4.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Drove the EVO IX RS, STi and Audi S4.

The reputation of the EVO is well known and respected in the automotive community and it’s a car I have been contemplating purchasing. A few days ago the salesman from a local dealership called me up and asked me to come out and check out the new IX. I hopped in my car and headed to the dealership. As we pulled in I sported the brand new EVO IX RS sitting there. I looked it over with my girl. We both concluded something that I had not previously believed… It looks better than the STi. Strange because previously I had much preferred the STi, but somehow this EVO had a more purposeful tone to it.
As I got in I took note of the lack of power anything. Yes the RS is pretty bare, I was surprised to find the trunk was not even lined. Of course I realized there could be only one reason for these omissions… Weight.

Getting Ready for Take-Off:
After strapping in, I fired her up. The clutch felt good, really good, I had deliberately worn my Dr Martin work shows instead of my driving shoes because these are what I wear to work and I wanted to see how easy it would be to drive this car in them.
I didn’t have any problems. After hearing the salesman go on and on about how he had driven the wheels of the thing previously I realized, much to my horror that he didn’t care if we respected the car’s break-in. At that point I made a mental note reminding myself why it’s my policy NEVER to buy a dealer demo car.
I proceeded to put the IX though it’s paces and then handed it over to my girl so she could figure out if she could live with it also.

Comparing Notes:
After our test drives we compared notes. We unanimously concluded the EVO was a much more entertaining drive than the STi. The EVO felt light and very fast. We both had grins on our face after driving the IX. I can safely say I’ve never driven another sedan that has felt this well sorted. It was immense fun. While the STi was fast it felt closer to the new Audi S4… Fast, but in a big heavy muscle car sort of way. For some reason the weight of those cars is much more perceivable than the weight of the EVO.
Is the STi fast? Yes, very, but it’s acceleration feels more haphazard, less controllable. . In the end we both concluded that the EVO is like a scalpel, while the STi is like sledgehammer.
The S4 is heavier than the STi, so for driver fun, scored lower than the other two in our eyes. On the plus side the S4 is very well appointed inside.

A Quick Comment on Ride Quality:
We both found the ride of the EVO IX to be quite good. It was perhaps a little rougher than the STi and S4, but more than good enough. Please keep in mind however, that we are use to driving a Jeep Wrangler, Mini Cooper S and Lotus Elise; so perhaps we are just used to stiff suspensions. Out of those cars the Jeep has by far the worst ride. Actually it’s the worst riding street car I’ve ever driven. So anyone driving any of the cars I listed will find the EVO to be very comfortable.

Final Thoughts:
The EVO is the first car I’ve driven since the Elise that didn’t feel like a fat pig of a car to me. The only thing that stopped me from ordering one then and there is the fact that the EVO X is now on the horizon and promises to be the best stock revision yet.
Anyway we figure it doesn’t hurt to wait, then if the new X turns out to be all hype we can always pick up a left over IX for cheap. It’s nice to see someone is making a practical ever-day usable car, that is truly an pleasure to drive. I had almost lost all hope of this. Thanks Mitsu

Last edited by bounce; Nov 7, 2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

I think you hit it on the botton!! Nice review!
Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:59 AM

Yea but when the X come out, might as well wait for the XI, then the XII then the XIII.......
Old Nov 7, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Wow very nice detailed write up. Glad to see that the EVO came out tops in your opinion. The styling of the new STi is, um, interesting and I really think the IX is a much more attractive car, even more so then the VIII IMO. Recently I have been very pleased with the new direction that Mitsubishi is heading and I believe that the EVO X will be the car that we all hope for.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

the new sti front facia is nasty. yuck. and the new tail lights, just grose. as far as the new evo bumper goes, its ok but i like the 8 bumper better. and the fact that the new IX's didnt get the new rear bumper pisses me right off. as for the new X, i like it other than the fact thats its bigger. at least i think its going to be bigger. i dont like when they take a nice sized car and progesivly increase its size with every new generation. like the vw golf for instance, it started out as 2000lb car now its close to 4000lbs. wtf u know. granted they have more than doubled the power, but driving a heavy car is like driving a boat.
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Wow very nice detailed write up. Glad to see that the EVO came out tops in your opinion. The styling of the new STi is, um, interesting and I really think the IX is a much more attractive car, even more so then the VIII IMO. Recently I have been very pleased with the new direction that Mitsubishi is heading and I believe that the EVO X will be the car that we all hope for.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Nice write up, but the S4 is in its own league the only reason i say this because the car is like 50,000 brand new. Its a little out of the evo and sti price range. In my opinion is it worth the extra money................ HELL NO. You can say it has luxury but you could buy a SSL evo for about 20 grand less. Im a huge fan of german auto's but i HATE then new S4, and the new RS4 has crank windows in the back. If im going rock crank windows id rather buy an RS for 25,000 less and blow the doors off the RS4 with the extra money i saved. just my .02
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by texas911
Yea but when the X come out, might as well wait for the XI, then the XII then the XIII.......
I don't think the XI will be a major change from the X, anymore than the IX is from the VIII. Still if rumors of power starting at 300 bhp and going up to 400 bhp plus for the top model hold true, then I owe it to myself to wait and see the production X before I commit to a purchase.
I can finally see why you guys love your EVOs. It really is an awesome car. It was hard to drive away without putting money down on one after that test drive. I found it amusing when my girl asked the salesman if the EVO was lighter than the Mini. Of course I knew it wasn’t, but it’s strange that it actually feels much lighter and nimbler.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutobonEvo
Nice write up, but the S4 is in its own league the only reason i say this because the car is like 50,000 brand new. Its a little out of the evo and sti price range. In my opinion is it worth the extra money................ HELL NO. You can say it has luxury but you could buy a SSL evo for about 20 grand less. Im a huge fan of german auto's but i HATE then new S4, and the new RS4 has crank windows in the back. If im going rock crank windows id rather buy an RS for 25,000 less and blow the doors off the RS4 with the extra money i saved. just my .02
I think most people who buy the s4 and m3's really want a comfortable, daily ride with an extremely functional driver friendly interior. The m3/s4 is not a slow dog, they can run low 13's from the factory and that is plenty fast for most people.

I enjoyed the review, and thought it covered most of the bases.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by texas911
maybe he meant since the ix is gonna be short lived, meaning a one year model run. then the x will debut. but i highly doubt that if the ix is a hit here in the states they may wait to bring out the x for another two years. but japan may get it in one.

Carlo
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Good point i over looked the type of people that normally purchase M3/S4's.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bounce
Is the STi fast? Yes, very, but it’s acceleration feels more haphazard, less controllable. . In the end we both concluded that the EVO is like a scalpel, while the STi is like sledgehammer.
Can i use this as my sig?

Good review btw...hope the X is better, cause i am looking forward to trade my VIII for the X
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SEVEN
Can i use this as my sig?

Good review btw...hope the X is better, cause i am looking forward to trade my VIII for the X
Sure
Old Nov 7, 2005, 08:59 AM

^^ lol, good description =]
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:06 AM

Can I ask how does the EVO fare against the Elise in terms of handling because I understand the Elise is world class in that department.

Curiously, you're not British are you?
Old Nov 7, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kane317
Can I ask how does the EVO fare against the Elise in terms of handling because I understand the Elise is world class in that department.

Curiously, you're not British are you?
(sorry I just think its funny you ask)

Quick Reply: Drove the EVO IX RS, STi and Audi S4.