Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2004 STi Cobb Stage 2+

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Going over to see him during lunch today and show him this post to see what he says!! HAHA
Old Nov 8, 2005, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur stage 4... thats like approx 381 whp and 349 torque... dude ur puttin out more than 400 HP easily. First of all it should be no contest that u should be winnin against that STI.

Second, u claim u should hit 12's?. Dude wit those mods u should wait NO you MUST hit low 12's, maybe even high 11's ( if u got the skills).

Please being so modest . Also that stock number there 13.9... if u got all that HP and dont kno how to drive. U get wat im sayin( wats the point?)
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by phenem
Yes but I would imagine that is on the high end.

I am hoping my car puts out 350 hp/335 tq whp; 380 hp /350 tq crank, so with those estimates I would think it would be a good race...hoping I would win!

Just seeing if anyone has had experience with an STi with the Cobb Stg2 or not.

~Zach
A buddy of mine has a Cobb Street Tuner tune (does his own tuning), with turbo back exhaust with downpipe, and probably a few other little odds and ends, and the car is pretty quick. He knows his way around the ECU, so I know he has a good tune. The downside to the Cobb Street Tuner is that it can only be tuned to 91 octane. The AccessPORT's Stage 2 runs at 91 or 93 octane, depending on which map you choose to run.

The WRX and STi guys talk a big game about the Cobb Stage 2, but you need supporting mods to upgrade. You can't just run the Stage 2 without at least an exhaust and intake. I believe the Stage 2 also nets 18 or 19 psi, up from 14.5 psi stock.

I've heard from numerous people running Stage 2s and supporting mods (TBE, downpipe, intake) that they're running anywhere from 12.50s-12.70s in the 1/4 on average.

I rode in AndyBandy's car (from this site), and his car felt quicker than my buddy's STi. Andy said he was putting down about 300-315 at the wheels.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cloudy
Ya.. and to my knowledge STi's arnt even that responsive to mods? Atleast not nearly as much as Evo's.
STis respond to mods just as well as any other car. It's just that they're more expensive to mod.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Well he couldn't wait to see what my car had for him, we went out back behind his house. It is about a 1/4 mile stretch of road that is perfect for drag racing and he owns it so there are no cars on it. So I told him I am not going to endanger my car and wouldn't go hard at first.

The first run:
We launched (me at 4500, him at 5500) <--- my clutch is ****ty
I pulled good on him in first and second probably got about a car on him. Then in third it was goodnight STi! By that time I was coming up on 105mph and shut down, also the end of the road....hehe. When I shut down I had about 2 cars on him.

He got really pissed because I don't have that much money in my car, prob. about $2,000~$2,250, he has over $3,000.

So I said lets do it from a roll then and I will start behind you about a car in length. So we hit it from a 40 mph roll and immediatly pull up on his real bumper and shoot around him to about his passenger door. Shift to third and see ya later. I mostly pulled on him up top, Third gear up top is where I rocketed away from him by about 1.5 cars.

I can't wait to install my Buschur FMIC/680 Injectors/10.5 hotside that should give me even more up top! But that also means I will have to keep my launching to a minimum cause my clutch has got 20k on it...

He said he ran a 12.87 @ 108.1 do you think that will put me in the low 12's? I can't wait to get to the track sometime before winter!

Anyway I had to post the results. I normally do not post anything like this, I just wanted to see where I stand power wise without going to a Dyno (yet).

What do you guys think?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Well he couldn't wait to see what my car had for him, we went out back behind his house. It is about a 1/4 mile stretch of road that is perfect for drag racing and he owns it so there are no cars on it. So I told him I am not going to endanger my car and wouldn't go hard at first.

The first run:
We launched (me at 4500, him at 5500) <--- my clutch is ****ty
I pulled good on him in first and second probably got about a car on him. Then in third it was goodnight STi! By that time I was coming up on 105mph and shut down, also the end of the road....hehe. When I shut down I had about 2 cars on him.

He got really pissed because I don't have that much money in my car, prob. about $2,000~$2,250, he has over $3,000.

So I said lets do it from a roll then and I will start behind you about a car in length. So we hit it from a 40 mph roll and immediatly pull up on his real bumper and shoot around him to about his passenger door. Shift to third and see ya later. I mostly pulled on him up top, Third gear up top is where I rocketed away from him by about 1.5 cars.

I can't wait to install my Buschur FMIC/680 Injectors/10.5 hotside that should give me even more up top! But that also means I will have to keep my launching to a minimum cause my clutch has got 20k on it...

He said he ran a 12.87 @ 108.1 do you think that will put me in the low 12's? I can't wait to get to the track sometime before winter!

Anyway I had to post the results. I normally do not post anything like this, I just wanted to see where I stand power wise without going to a Dyno (yet).

What do you guys think?
Congrats! I wish I owned a 1/4 mile stretch of road out back of my house to drag race...

Brent
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Oopsie...

Last edited by SterlingEvo; Nov 8, 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stage 4...if you can drive you should be able to hit 11.8-11.9...if you cant drive who knows.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

good stuff.
Sinister Subaru sti's do not respond to mods as well as any other car. thats kinda of a dumb statement considering all cars respond to mods differently. STI's i feel do not respond as well as EVO's to mods because a tbe, and intake on a 05 EVO gets u into mid to low 12's. If ur a good driver, like Warrtalon, or someone of that nature even better. Sorry but i dont see STI's doing that!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Cobb is so-so with the Subeys.. ECUTek is the business
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I used to own and WRX (non-STi) and loved the Cobb maps on it cause they were so much smoother than ECUTek plus you can flash then with updates as much as you want to.

I had the whole works on the WRX VF34, fmic, blah blah blah...

Still only put down 310 whp on a dynojet!

My EVO feels so much faster and pulls like a rapped ape up top! So glad I went with the EVO over the STi (really close to buying a white STi but got into a silver evo 8 instead)

Mod wise the EVO is so much easier for the following reasons. (I can say this because I work on scooby's all the time with my buddies)

1. SOOO much easier to work on
2. Take very well to mods
3. Most forgiving engine MOD wise
4. Give the most power for each MOD much better than the scooby

(i.e. - with the scooby every time I added something I had to get retuned or it ran really bad..)

I am very happy with the EVO and glad to be part of the community.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

I used to own and WRX (non-STi) and loved the Cobb maps on it cause they were so much smoother than ECUTek plus you can flash then with updates as much as you want to.
Was AccessPort out when you owned the WRX?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my EVO!!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
good stuff.
Sinister Subaru sti's do not respond to mods as well as any other car. thats kinda of a dumb statement considering all cars respond to mods differently. STI's i feel do not respond as well as EVO's to mods because a tbe, and intake on a 05 EVO gets u into mid to low 12's. If ur a good driver, like Warrtalon, or someone of that nature even better. Sorry but i dont see STI's doing that!
I own an STi I have some insight on how well STis respond to mods. You can think my statement is "dumb" all you like. An STi responds just as well as any other turbocharged motor.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the Evo, and let's say this stock 05 Evo runs 13.30s. Explain to me how a TBE and an intake on an 05 Evo is going to net you low/mid 12s in the 1/4. We'll say, 12.50s. That's AT LEAST .8 of a gain in the 1/4. There's no intake and exhaust combo on the face of this Earth that is going to net you .8 in the 1/4 mile, and that's using YOUR figures of "mid 12s." You're not only going to need an exhaust and intake, but you're also going to need some sort of EM. An exhaust and intake isn't going to do it alone.

Then, you mention "If you're a good driver, like Warrtalon, or someone of that nature, even better." Ok, let's talk "even better." That would mean 12.10s? 12.20s? Good luck with just an exhaust and an intake. Find me ANY Evo that runs 12.20s with nothing more than a TBE and intake, and I'll get rid of my STi today.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stew
Was AccessPort out when you owned the WRX?
O my YES! Cobb has been doing the AccessTuner software now for quite some time. I had a 2004 WRX, soon as I bought it the AccessPort came out and I had one are pre-order.

Definetly the best bang for you buck with a scooby!

Quick Reply: 2004 STi Cobb Stage 2+