Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

WTF, dealer drilled my bumper?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF, dealer drilled my bumper?

So I got to detail my new IX MR and took off the front plate bracket and there are three giant holes behind it! Is this the best Mitsu can engineer a license plate bracket? What are my options? Can I get them plugged? I don't run front plates on my cars even though its required in Texas, never had a problem.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like your only option is to bondo or plug or buy new bumper. This is why you tell your sales rep before they prep the car not to put on the front plate. With all the cars you drive you should know this
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since you have the holes now you may as well stay legal and run the plate. I personally think the front plate on the evo really sets it apart.
Evolved Member

Huntington Beach Mitsubishi in Cali is custom fabbing some front plate holders so big *** holes won't need to be drilled in the bumper. I'm not sure if they're done making them, but i know they are in the process of doing so.

i work at a subaru dealer and that is how they are too. i think most new cars have that front plate set up. i live in a state that requires a front plate so its not a big deal here, but i would make them give you a new bumper if i just spent 35k on a new car with holes in it!!!
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by texas911
I don't run front plates on my cars even though its required in Texas, never had a problem.
Same here man. F*ck da PO-lice. jk

Dunno man, try and get them plugged or just complain to your service rep for a while.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 08:25 AM

It was on the lot already when I bought it.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

I put mine on, but didn't drill the hole. It hard mounts in 2 locations and jsut used some 3m exterior adhesive for the 3rd so I wouldn't have to drill the bumper.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:43 PM

When i purchased mine, it did not have the front plate holder on. It was thrown in the trunk. My state requires a front, but i don't wear it yet.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by texas911
It was on the lot already when I bought it.
then how come you didn't say anything about it when you bought it

BTW most dealers will give you the option if your state DOESN'T require the front plate. If you live in a state that DOES require a front plate, I believe it is mandated that a dealer puts on the plate. Otherwise they are selling an Illegal car. Some BS thing in the law.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

I also live in a state where it is required by law to have a front plate but the dealer didn't put the holes or instal the front plate holder until after you purchase the vehicle and ask them too. They left mine in the trunk in case I wanted it, and it is still at home now. I don't know if all cars in texas have the front plate already on at the dealer lot. If not, maybe they will fix it for you free of charge b/c you didn't want to take delivery of your vehicle that way when it was purchased? Just a thought
Old Nov 8, 2005, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Why'd they drill holes? Mine has two mounting pieces for the bracket and my dealer put mine on for me.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

In Utah you have to have a front plate as well. Illegal to sell the car with out one.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

I think its look good with the front plate. Set it apart from all other cars. Its just different
Old Nov 8, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

that is very typical. if you live in a state where its mandatory, your stuck wiht it. they arnt going to do anything about it. you can plug it (bondo, body filler, or kragens sells plastic plugs that you can paint). most of us srt guys end up doing the third, for the record, and you can barely tell.

Quick Reply: WTF, dealer drilled my bumper?