Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO weak points??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ best year of the VIII body haha
Old Nov 10, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

The biggest problem re. maintenance are the gearboxes. Well, there's a geaebox, a transfer box and a rear diff. And they all seem to use different oils. All of which are rather expensive.

Other problems include:
-stock pads go in no time
-large turning circle
-stock Enkeis look a bit cheap
-and yes, I broke the side support on my seat
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

03 are known for their syncro issues, but warranty covers you (usually). 05 is the best model of the 8's, they have better syncros, 10.5 hotside, ACD, and front LSD. Also, with the MR you get even more.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I love the performance but the overall build quality of the car dissapoints. The suspension is absolutely bullet proof, but the interior is cheap, and the driveline and engine are temperamental. I owned a 6th gen Celica before the Evo, and that car took 10x the abuse without any problems at all.

I've owned my MR for just about a year now, and had a broken transfer case (fixed under warranty), and a bunch of other small annoyances (rattles, squeaks, ripped CV joint, rude / incompetent service, etc.). The Evo is like a high-strung girl friend: one hell of a ride, but high maintenace & expensive .

I've been driving high power manual cars for over 10 years (I had a 911 when I was 19), and I'm an engineer by training, so I do understand cars and how to drive them. As much fun as I'm having with the Evo, to be honest I will not buy another car from mitsu.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
The Evo is like a high-strung girl friend: one hell of a ride, but high maintenace & expensive .
Dude, I think you just perfectly summed up the Evo in a single sentence. But my question is can she be blonde and have really cute feet too?
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch is noisy and ahhhh still thinking.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by GOKOU
Don't buy it. Don't get lure into the dark side.

Mainteance sucks. Quality sucks. Dealership sucks. Resale value sucks. Maaco did the paint job

I hear a little jealously in someones voice. AWWW, couldn't afford the extra 10K to buy an EVO. Had to settle for an american POS. But guess what..........it's still a neon w/ a new badge. Will be ok.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The weakness on the 03-04 GSR is the transfer case. Not that its weak but if you dont know how to launch an AWD car you are more than likely gonna damage it.

The 05 GSR has the front LSD which is a very nice option to have. It eliminates the weakness in the transfer case and helps in the twisites. It also has ACD which you may or may not want. I dont care for ACD but the LSD would be great.

The 05 has the 10.5 hoside but honestly thats only a $250 mod to an 03 so its not much of a deal maker/breaker. No matter the year you will be getting a tune and both will be equal once you upgrade the hotside.

Everyone knows the ride is harsh....thats because its a performance car. Everyone knows you will have noises in a stiff car. Lack of cruise is only a pain because the car shoots from 75-95 in a blink of an eye. As with all AWD cars the tires don't last long and unfortunately the ADVANS are expensive (but are worth it).

Resale value is actually very very good. I think many people paid MSRP with a high rate but that isnt the cars fault. If you purchase your evo at invoice resale value is very good. The EVO will continue to hold its value just because its an awesome car. Everyone thinks the value will drop because of the latest release but if you look at the 2G DSM you will see that sexy AWD turbo cars hold their value. The EVO will be the same way. There are many people out there that just cannot swing the 20k+ price just yet. I had my 03 appraised for trade at $22000 towards another EVO at invoice + $500 loyalty +$1500. That is a great trade considering I beat the living **** out of my car everytime I leave the house.

I have a modded 23k mile 2003. I have two complaints.
(1) Sometimes get grinding going into second gear. This happens on all year evo's even the 05s. It only happens once out of every one hundred shifts. If it gets worse I will have it fixed under my 5/60 warranty. Not a big deal.
(2) The stock clutch doesn't like hard launches (or so I hear). My clutch is fine but I've only launched the car about 10 times. I road race nearly every weekend and my daily drive is very aggressive. I guess the soft stock clutch is more of a safety feature and not that big of a deal. But I dont like the idea of replacing the clutch at 30k.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock radio
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

im suprised no one has told him yet about the earth turning radius lol
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

The ride spills my Starbucks in the morning. Need suspension in the cupholders (or I need to take a mug that has a closed top)

Any time I get annoyed with the minor noises or inconveniences of the car, I remember that I'm basically driving a race car on the public roads and I'm faster than most everything around me, then you tend to not notice the little things.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
I hear a little jealously in someones voice. AWWW, couldn't afford the extra 10K to buy an EVO. Had to settle for an american POS. But guess what..........it's still a neon w/ a new badge. Will be ok.
Funny but I drive an 03 Evo and was as driving it while you was driving the neon you mention about since you have an 05
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

They weak point in my evo is that I have to get out of it every now and then.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
1. Clutch
2. Trany
3. syncros
4. transfer case
honestly now, face it, you got a lemon or you simply can't drive, there is nothing wrong with the TC or Tranny on the Evo
stop posting that BS about the Evo b/c its not true
Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Ther tranny is not that great i know i got an 05 and i get grinding at higher rpms due to the synchros, but i drive the s**t out of my car

Quick Reply: EVO weak points??