Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO weak points??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2005, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll drink to that, brother!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeannMichael
The Evolution is "still a Lancer" as well....
Pure Ignorance .... IMHO.

(A Rant follows, so procede at your own risk: )

I try to be civil in my posts. But really, this along with so many other posts in this thread really astound me.

You need to understand what it is you are driving. Many of you are expecting trim levels available in cars that sell for 20K more and above.

And please, srt4 owners, past present, or whatever, you have no room whatsoever to speak, ... none. Go pick on a colbalt or tiberon or some other car in your class. Why do so many Mopars interiors actually smell like day old puke when they are relatively brand new? It's a known fact. I've rented more than a few over the last 5 years for vacation, etc...

STi 's and STI 's are the "6 of 1" and the Evo is the "half dozen of the other".
I have compared them back and forth. Whatever you gain with the main gauge cluster, you give back in spades with the seats. And plastic is plastic and the STi has plenty

I saw where one guy didn't like the multiple shades of the new Evo interior somewhere on EvoM. I have seen that listed as a FEATURE or upgrade on other cars.

Whinning about a car that otherwise gathers almost exclusively accalades for it's performance and handling abilities from some of the most experienced dirvers and car enthusiasts in the business.

Weakness-es:
*Tuning Radius - yeah, it makes no sense, anybody know why?
*Gas tank too small - for some applications, yes
*Wing is in the drivers rear view mirror - yeah, it's in my way , but only when I'm scanning for patrol cars in my rear view mirror (when I should be watching the road)

The mechanical stuff like syncros, clutch, and other similar items, although covered by warranty (clutch excepted) in many cases, are truley pitfalls. But all cars have 'em. It's the cost of doing business.
A lot of us spent under or at 30 K for a car that can best cars costing much much more.

Most of them have cushy seats, quiet (and soggy by comparison) suspensions, lotz of toys like cruise control and nice sound systems, GPS, yada yada, bore me to tears.

I'm poor but I can still compete for under 30k, if you know how to deal (27.8k new 03 GSR w/roof & wing package).

I'll take that deal.

Rant ended, thank you, come again :-)

Last edited by nirvevo; Nov 27, 2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kdogg
Weakest EVO point?

Inexperienced AWD drivers that are mod happy thus give EVOs a bad name.

This man is a prophet, sit at his feet and learn you seekers of knowledge ..... I'm not kidding here. More truth here than almost everything I have read thus far.

Thanks for saying it with more poignancy than what I managed previously

:-)

Last edited by nirvevo; Nov 27, 2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

lol, anybody else don't like where the cupholders are located in the 05s? Try puttin 2 drinks in there and driving..I keep knockin the lids off with my elbows while shiftin...lol...

But seriously, I got an 05 with only about 7k miles and I love this car. It has recently begun that dreaded 5th gear grind and I have yet to find time to take it to the dealership, but I've heard that most dealers are covering this particular issue under warranty, even with mods. I'm prayin mine will.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

OK, the cup holders too

:-)
Old Nov 27, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Everything so far is great, I just wish the stock pads had a bit more bite to them.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
I am considering an EVO as a next car and wonder what weak points they may have? I come from the Subaru camp and know that the scooby 5spd is it weakest point and a costly fix. I am just wondering what the EVO's weak point is and what costs are related with it.

Thanks all
weak points,clutch,gearbox and the quality sux..but it is a better car than the STI
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

3262 POUNDS.......too heavy
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

My clutch went out rather quickly, but its my fault i got a little launch happy
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nez136
AMS was running their stock Tranny for the whole 2004 season without problems so you guys can stop with the weak tranny crap, im on Evo #2, this one has 11k miles and my last had 33k miles....w/ NO PROBLEMS. I did replace the clutch in my '03 b/c in the first 10k miles i drove like a jackass. Would i put my car's tranny against a STi?...Fu<k yea!
in 2 1/2 years of owning Evo's they have NEVER failed on me and i have AutoXed, launched over 50 times, and even RallyXed (dirt track).

The Test pipe fix is a matter of spending $3.50 at your local autoparts store for anti-foul adapters, besides, all cars throw a CEL when removing the cats
WOW 33k and no problems? rofl man any car should last longer than 33k
Old Nov 27, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cup holders do suck, but a 20 ounce fits snugly in the side pocket. My TOB cracked in half although that isn't to normal. Only other problem I've had is after they replaced the TOB, my axle seal leaked. Took two seals before they could get it to stop leaking. I have 9K on my car and no other problems thus far. I drive my car aggressively also.