Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo vs snow=???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo vs snow=???

I recently moved up to Northern Colorado and I'm wondering what to excpect once the snow comes. How does the evo handle the snow, ice and those below zero days? anything i should prepare for? BTW, I'm currently running an all season tire which should help
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your SET with the all seasons! I didnt get stuck at all last year with like 2feet of snow. Matter of fact it was more fun than anything to whip the evo around Washington DC with no problems @ all. The occational person getting stuck thats the only blower.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

As long as you don't have stock tires (or similar Summer Performance) you'll be good. With good tires the Evo rules the snow. In ice, it doesn't matter what you drive, you'll slide. I wish SUVs around here would learn that!!!
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

EVO Vs. SNOW = More fun than you can ever imagine!!! just be careful !!!!

oh and good thing you have all seasons because the stock advans are as worthless as a poopie flavored lolipop !
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

The real question is, where did you move FROM? If you have experience driving in the snow, get ready for some really enjoyable times.

d
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ryno255
I recently moved up to Northern Colorado and I'm wondering what to excpect once the snow comes. How does the evo handle the snow, ice and those below zero days? anything i should prepare for? BTW, I'm currently running an all season tire which should help

The most fun i've had, going sideways, has been in my old wrx, old sti, and evo. I used to live in NJ, and prayed for good snowpack! The back will get way out if you push it, but it is fun to bring it back. Just don't get cocky because of awd, I curbed a wheel in hte wrx by not paying attention/over estimating my grip.

For getting around in it, daily drive wise, you have a great platform. Allseasons were fine in NJ, but depending on where in CO , perhaps dedicated snows might not be a bad idea. Just realize if it's not snow and ice, blizzaks, etc. are not the tire to be driving on. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, favorite a/s bar none. NO idea on chains info, mighyt want to bounce that one off some hardcore winter folks with experience.

Have fun!
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by donour
The real question is, where did you move FROM? If you have experience driving in the snow, get ready for some really enjoyable times.

d
SO CAL born and raised but i lived here a couple years ago so i have experience in the snow, you guys are getting me excited i cant wait for those days a can whip her around, i already get a kick out of driving in the rain.

Last edited by ryno255; Nov 10, 2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ryno255
SO CAL born and raised but i lived here a couple years ago so i have experience in the snow, you guys are getting me excited i cant wait for those days a can whip her around, i already get a kick out of driving in the rain.
Just be careful, but yeah it's fun. really, really fun.

d
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by silverlining
The most fun i've had, going sideways, has been in my old wrx, old sti, and evo. I used to live in NJ, and prayed for good snowpack! The back will get way out if you push it, but it is fun to bring it back. Just don't get cocky because of awd, I curbed a wheel in hte wrx by not paying attention/over estimating my grip.

For getting around in it, daily drive wise, you have a great platform. Allseasons were fine in NJ, but depending on where in CO , perhaps dedicated snows might not be a bad idea. Just realize if it's not snow and ice, blizzaks, etc. are not the tire to be driving on. I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, favorite a/s bar none. NO idea on chains info, mighyt want to bounce that one off some hardcore winter folks with experience.

Have fun!
i've got toyo proxes 4 on there now I've read good things about there winter performance, but the real test will be when we get our first big storm
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, so-cal for 19 years until 3 months ago for me

I don't have an evo, but from what i've heard and stuff, and just thinking about it, with good tires and the evos AWD it shouldn't be too bad. I did fine in my wrangler just in 2wd, and then went in the 2 feet deep snow where the roads wern't cleared in 4x4 and it was a blast, you think you're going to get stuck like deep sand but you keep on going. This post has lightened my spirits a lot, I talked to one of my friends and he said the evo isn't all that great in snow, but he probably ment with the stock tires, which I would get rid of probably in the first month of having the car, since I hear it blows in cold (which is most of my weather), blows in snow, and in rain (which I hear we don't have a LOT of, but there has been since i've lived here so I don't know what they're going off of). The car being AWD is a big selling point for my parents, even though i'd be paying for the car they still are being really involved with it and holding me back more than i'd like.

I live south of denver about an hour, south of castle rock about 10 minutes, fyi
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:38 PM

Like everyone above said you will be fine on All-Season's.... You will surely learn how to drift....
Good luck n be careful!!!!!!!
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
/ \ + exactly...
Old Nov 10, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stealth-Ghost

I live south of denver about an hour, south of castle rock about 10 minutes, fyi
That's actually not too far from us down in albuquerque. I routinely make trips up there to snowboard.

d
Old Nov 10, 2005, 07:06 PM

yeah the snow is a different experience for sure, i learned my lesson by putting my blazer into a revine. i was on the way the back from hunting in Sterling CO which is in the middle of no where The last thing i want to do is put the evo in a ditch a have a lot more to loose now, I'll be sure to keep her within my limits
Old Nov 11, 2005, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Evo rules in snow!!!!