Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A friendly word of advice to all new Evo owners...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friendly word of advice to all new Evo owners...

I recommend that those who buy a new Evo have the alignment checked immediately. I had mine realigned yesterday. The car only has about 16,000 miles on it, but the Advans were worn almost bald on the inside while there was plenty of tread left on the outside. The tech said that factories are sometimes not that diligent when it comes to aligning their new cars to the exact specifications. On mine, the toe was off considerably (though the camber was fine). It was enough to shorten the life of the tires.

By the way, I had to get the factory specs for the 05's from the dealership. The alignment shop didn't even have them for the 04's. Just a thought.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the alignment specs on the 05s? also on the 03s they have more aggressive camber for road racing purposes.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
What are the alignment specs on the 05s? also on the 03s they have more aggressive camber for road racing purposes.
The dealer provided me with a printout about 6 pages long that specified everything. Unfortunately, the printouts are in the car (which my wife has for a couple of days while she's out of town). But any dealer should be able to get them for you. As to whether they are different than for the 03's, I couldn't say.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah i just finished purchasing a set of new yokos yesterday at 14,500 miles on my 03 evo. The advans were so bald i would loose traction on the rain. Very scary on the highway.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:39 PM

I've heard about alignment problems on the evo's a few times now. Maybe i should get my alignment checked so i can prolong my expensive advans.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mathgeek
I recommend that those who buy a new Evo have the alignment checked immediately. I had mine realigned yesterday. The car only has about 16,000 miles on it, but the Advans were worn almost bald on the inside while there was plenty of tread left on the outside. The tech said that factories are sometimes not that diligent when it comes to aligning their new cars to the exact specifications. On mine, the toe was off considerably (though the camber was fine). It was enough to shorten the life of the tires.

By the way, I had to get the factory specs for the 05's from the dealership. The alignment shop didn't even have them for the 04's. Just a thought.
The factory alignment is very aggresive, and your tires will wear exactly like you said. This is normal for the EVO aligment, and helps explain how it puts up the fantastic stat's that it does for the magazines. If you got 16k miles out of stock advans, you're doing better than just about everyone. I only got 8k out of my first set and 10k out of my second. And yes, my alignment is to factory spec.'s
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

I curious to know what the specs of the '03 vs. '05 are?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Just changed out my tires yesterday. I had 24,000 on the stock ones and there was still some decent tread left. Got the same brand but went down to an "H" series with the winter heading this way.
Allignment was also off a bit. It took Michael tires over an hour to get it right.

Still on the stock clutch too. She still holds the same as she did when I bought it. Then again, I don't beat the s''t out of it either. You treat your girl right, she'll treat you right!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nvr2old32
Just changed out my tires yesterday. I had 24,000 on the stock ones and there was still some decent tread left. Got the same brand but went down to an "H" series with the winter heading this way.
Allignment was also off a bit. It took Michael tires over an hour to get it right.

Still on the stock clutch too. She still holds the same as she did when I bought it. Then again, I don't beat the s''t out of it either. You treat your girl right, she'll treat you right!
Live a little and drive it like it ment to be driven. Any mods yet? Thats a long time for the stock tires. I only made it to 15,000 and I thought I was doing good.

Make sure you rotate every other oil change.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

I think something wacked off ur aligment
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

you advans lasted 16k thats fantastic. After 16k your evo should have hit a pot hole or two I doubt it was bad from the get go. If it had been your tires would have never lasted 16k, try 4k.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ive said it before, two standard options that should be liusted on the window sticker are 1) bad allignment & 2) cheap paint
Old Nov 13, 2005, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
purchased 5 year unlimited alignment from NTB here in Chi area as they recommend(NTB) to have tires aligned every 6K miles....have mine aligned every oil change/tire rotation just as a precaution
Old Nov 13, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

after about 10k miles...my passenger front tire was shot......the inside was all worn and tearing up, while the rest of the tire was fine...now my driver side front is having the same problem...while the back two are not as bad as the front one's but are still a little worn out than the outsides....
Old Nov 13, 2005, 02:39 PM
Former Vendor

this is a give in to get an alighment..