Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do you ever look at an evo owner and think what a waste?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you ever look at an evo owner and think what a waste?

I've seen it a few times, when you meet an evo owner simply put drives the car like a *****. Prime example, my buddy got a new 05 and has driven it 8k miles now and the only time its been over 5k rpm's is when I drove it. I've seen this sad reality with other evo owners also.

I mean I can understand not wanting to launch it but at least take some high speed sweepers or autox or something where you get to feel how incredible the car is. I just find it sad too see an evo go to waste
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I'm one of only two Evo owners in my town of Minot ND. The other is just a 16 year old girl. I ran into her at the gym the other day and tryed to make small talk with her about her car and joining my DSM club (own a 98 GST Spyder as well). After a few minutes of talking with her with her hood up, i soon realized that the ONLY reason she has the car is because it's red (her favorite color) and her dad bought it for her because she wanted a back seat. Sigh...

I ran across this problem while driving my 350Z too. Some old guy pulled up next to me in his Z a few weeks ago and said "nice car". I waived and reved at him. He proceeds to tell me that he never takes his car above 5k so the value of the car won't decline. Sheesh... What a loser. When i used to cruise the 350 forums before i had my Evo, i would see A LOT of talk about driving slow and "enjoying" the 350 rather than racing it. I got fed up with commenting on how they spent all that money on a sports car and drive it like a mini van. Now i spend ALL my time here.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that i don't think it's a waste. For me, it'd be like buying a mini van and staying single with no kids. I could have one, but why?

Last edited by walkedu; Nov 14, 2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:52 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

I don't think it's a waste. They purchased and can afford to do whatever they want with their cars. Not everyone is into motorsports or driving fast. They may just like the car for other reasons.

It's like people who purchase Ferraris and Lamborghinis, most of them will never use all of the potential of the car but hey, they can afford it and just have it as a art piece. I give them respect because they worked hard to get it. It's theirs and they can do whatever they want with it.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

i try to do some midnight runs down by where i live...take it up to 5-6k rpms sometimes alil more i love it just being sucked into ur seat and hearing that turbo...but for the most part during the day usually dont go above 3.5/4k rpms.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

I don't push my car too often. And launching it is a true rarity with me. I can count the number of times I've launched it on one hand. I bought it because I love the look, feel, and drive of the car. Not just how fast it is.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhh NO... I drive the car like a ***** so I can save some money. 19 College Student w/ NO money. I might have some fun on any given day but I normally drive like grandma.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:58 AM
Account Disabled

I saw a red evo the other day with 19" chrome rims, a punisher skull sticker covering the rear window, red LED underbodys, and an aftermarket aluminum wing. I know every Evo owner in town except that kid, but if I find him I am going to kick him in the face and tell him he can't read good.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

same here..i rarely go over 5k cause there is no reason for me to chug gas. but when the time comes ill go ahead and push. like this weekend when i kicked the crap out of this v8 5.0 stang
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akunochi
I saw a red evo the other day with 19" chrome rims, a punisher skull sticker covering the rear window, red LED underbodys, and an aftermarket aluminum wing. I know every Evo owner in town except that kid, but if I find him I am going to kick him in the face and tell him he can't read good.

I would love to kick his face in along with you.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZK
I don't think it's a waste. They purchased and can afford to do whatever they want with their cars. Not everyone is into motorsports or driving fast. They may just like the car for other reasons.

It's like people who purchase Ferraris and Lamborghinis, most of them will never use all of the potential of the car but hey, they can afford it and just have it as a art piece. I give them respect because they worked hard to get it. It's theirs and they can do whatever they want with it.
I agree, different strokes of different folks. Personally I drive everything like I stole it, perhaps one day I’ll only want to cruise around town… But I pray that day never comes.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I dont have money to throw around fixing my 400bhp evo when it blows up from pushing on the street hard every day.. I dont see how you can keep it under 5000rpms though.. didnt even know that was possible, but I tend to take it out on the car at autox where i bounce of the rev limiter all day long.

Normally when I am running around town and actually pushing it, ill take it up to 7600rpm.

Last edited by bdking57; Nov 14, 2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

My friends keep telling me i drive like a grandma, i ALWAYS drive exactly at or 5 mph above speed limit, and this happend not so long ago, and my friends are always speeding everywhere. One of the reason is because everyone told me I should quit driving crazy, because totalling a evo mr after 2k mile wasn't a good sign, and when i'm alone with no car in front of me, I end up keep climbing speed and don't even realize it. so now, I end up staying behind them when we go for a cruise and keep my self in check. It's more of a safty issue.

I get ALOT of ricer flybys in the areas i goto, but i never feel the need to chase after them, besides my driving records isn't so clean either
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bounce
I agree, different strokes of different folks. Personally I drive everything like I stole it, perhaps one day I’ll only want to cruise around town… But I pray that day never comes.
YOU crack me up!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

I always thought the same thing when I saw a sports car putzing around. Not that you're supposed to drive like a race car driver on the streets, but at least have some fun once in a while when the road opens up.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

I just drive normally in the street, not like a madman. I save money on fuel and spend that fuel money when it comes time for a track day.

Quick Reply: Do you ever look at an evo owner and think what a waste?